VOGONS

First post, by BlackVega

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

What is that inner 7.2V battery supposed to do in most laptops? I know there is always another battery that is supposed to store CMOS data and it's rated 3V/3.3V/3.6V so what is the purpose of that bigger one that is rated around 7V? This one is especially crappy because it tends to leak the most on old hardware. I'm especially baffled because everyone talks about the 3V CMOS battery and you can find a bunch of articles about it but NOBODY talks about the 7V one and I absolutely can't find any information about it

Reply 1 of 11, by Horun

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

On some HP, Dell and Toshiba laptops the 7.2v are the main batteries AFAIK.

Hate posting a reply and then have to edit it because it made no sense 😁 First computer was an IBM 3270 workstation with CGA monitor. Stuff: https://archive.org/details/@horun

Reply 2 of 11, by BlackVega

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I am NOT talking about the main big battery that powers the entire system. I'm talking about the other battery connected to the motherboard through wires that looks similar to CMOS battery but it isn't (or is it?)

Reply 3 of 11, by Tomek TRV

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

This is an interesting topic. I have Siemens Nixdorf PCD-2N and it also contains infamous Dallas chip, main batteries and additional acu, if I remember, 4,6V. I was also wondering what this acu is for and still haven't figure out the secret.

Reply 4 of 11, by Deunan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
BlackVega wrote on 2023-05-27, 07:38:

What is that inner 7.2V battery supposed to do in most laptops?

Isn't that for powering RAM in sleep mode? I think the PSU in these early laptops was not efficient enough at low power draw to use the main battery and not drain it too quickly. But that's my educated guess, I'm not really into old laptops and every time I have one in my hands the battery packs are all dead (and usually leaking too) so I can't really test that theory.

Reply 5 of 11, by HanSolo

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Deunan wrote on 2023-05-27, 20:02:

Isn't that for powering RAM in sleep mode? I think the PSU in these early laptops was not efficient enough at low power draw to use the main battery and not drain it too quickly. But that's my educated guess, I'm not really into old laptops and every time I have one in my hands the battery packs are all dead (and usually leaking too) so I can't really test that theory.

That's correct, at least for my old Toshiba Satellites. (In two of them all batteries including the main one still work surprisingly)

Reply 6 of 11, by jtchip

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

For some Dells, at least the XPi CD (Pentium [MMX]), CPiA (Pentium II), and C500/600 (Pentium III), it is the reserve battery used to hold the contents of NVRAM and power the RTC. It's supposed to last for 40 days from a full charge. They do not have a separate 3V "coin cell" battery like desktop motherboards.

Reply 8 of 11, by jtchip

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Socket3 wrote on 2023-05-28, 00:46:

Could a missing or bad 7.2v battery case a notebook to not function correctly? I have a toshiba pentium 1 with a bad (removed) 7.2v and main that refuses to POST after a restart.

Depends on the notebook, I guess. I have a Dell XPi CD that works fine without it (it leaked and destroyed traces such that the battery connector on the board just came off). The BIOS does warn after POST that the settings have been reset but it boots and works fine after that.

Reply 9 of 11, by HanSolo

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Socket3 wrote on 2023-05-28, 00:46:

Could a missing or bad 7.2v battery case a notebook to not function correctly? I have a toshiba pentium 1 with a bad (removed) 7.2v and main that refuses to POST after a restart.

I removed both intenal batteries from one of my Toshiba Satellite 320 CDT and it has no problems with that

Reply 10 of 11, by Ryccardo

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Deunan wrote on 2023-05-27, 20:02:

Isn't that for powering RAM in sleep mode? I think the PSU in these early laptops was not efficient enough at low power draw to use the main battery and not drain it too quickly

Not sure if that's a thing and covering it up is a Nice Side Effect, but according to both Apple and IBM I've always seen it described as giving you 1/3 to 1 minute to change to another battery in standby mode without going through hibernation 😀

...How much were laptop batteries back then? Less than the late 2000s/today in absolute price and much less relative to the whole computer, I guess?

Reply 11 of 11, by stanwebber

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

in the nec ultralite/versa series there was a bridge battery that i think allowed swapping batteries while running without ac power. i am the original owner of a versa p and opened it up (and a couple other versas i used to own) decades ago. i'm pretty sure i removed the cmos battery, but i wish i remembered if i did anything about the bridge battery. i'm worried that if i open it up again the case will completely disintegrate as just about everything snapped off the first time around and the plastic is 3 times older now.