VOGONS

First post, by sangokushi

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I cannot find an optical drive bay caddy which supports 2.5" IDE drive (only SATA drive).
Does it exist?

Attachments

• s-l1600 (30).jpg
    Filename
    s-l1600 (30).jpg
    File size
    210.94 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 2 of 11, by sangokushi

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Big Pink wrote on 2023-05-27, 23:41:

Yes, definitely. I've got one buried in a box in the basement, so I can't quote you a part number right now.

Thanks! Please let me know the model number when you have free time.

Recently I need to format and copy files to a 200MB 2.5" IDE hard drive. After researched other posts in this forum:

1. USB to IDE adapter (doesn't support small hard drive with CHS)
2. Use desktop (don't have a desktop)

I have an old laptop with a modular CDROM drive. I should be able to format and transfer files with an optical drive bay caddy.

Reply 4 of 11, by sangokushi

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Big Pink wrote on 2023-06-09, 12:55:

Found the caddy in the basement, but unfortunately it seems to be bog standard SATA. Sorry to get your hopes up.

Thanks for checking. I think the caddy exists but it will be difficult to find.
I found a picture from a website and it's definitely for 2.5" IDE drive

Attachments

Reply 5 of 11, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Does it necessarily have to be able to use an IDE HDD?

I'm seeing caddy's that are IDE on the laptop side and SATA on the drive side.

That honestly would be a lot more useful unless you have an IDE drive you really want to use.

Yamaha modified setupds and drivers
Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 6 of 11, by sangokushi

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
cyclone3d wrote on 2023-06-09, 15:10:

That honestly would be a lot more useful unless you have an IDE drive you really want to use.

It's for formatting and copying files to a 200MB 2.5" IDE hard drive.

I saw other posts in this forum said USB to IDE adapter doesn't support hard drive smaller than 1GB.

Is there an USB to IDE chipset/adapter support CHS drive?

Thanks.

Reply 7 of 11, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
sangokushi wrote on 2023-06-09, 17:03:
It's for formatting and copying files to a 200MB 2.5" IDE hard drive. […]
Show full quote
cyclone3d wrote on 2023-06-09, 15:10:

It's for formatting and copying files to a 200MB 2.5" IDE hard drive.

I saw other posts in this forum said USB to IDE adapter doesn't support hard drive smaller than 1GB.

Is there an USB to IDE chipset/adapter support CHS drive?

Thanks.

I've got quite a few USB to ide adapters. Not sure what the smallest 2.5" ide drive I have is.

I can do some testing though to see what works.

Yamaha modified setupds and drivers
Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 8 of 11, by BitWrangler

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

The 1GB thing is a guess based on max size/age of HDD tech and thus the addressing schemes and transfer modes the controller supports. So when 1GB were current on 3.5, you'd get bottom of the model range that had 1GB in it of 420 or 540 MB that could also do all the modes the 1GB drive could, so those drives will be okay on it maybe. However, one two or three model ranges ago, 420 or 540 were top of the line of that range, but had older non LBA addressing, only PIO mode transfer etc, so those drives wouldn't get recognised on the USB controller. Because however laptop 2.5 drives needed to be higher tech for same capacity as 3.5s though and were more expensive, then it might be found that a 200MB was in the same range as 800MB drives that were the same level as tech as the desktop 1GB so may work... if however it was 200MB when 200MB was near top of that model range, then likely won't.

It's a bit like guessing the age of a car by whether it's got a built in GPS or not.

Unicorn herding operations are proceeding, but all the totes of hens teeth and barrels of rocking horse poop give them plenty of hiding spots.

Reply 10 of 11, by BitWrangler

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

1996 ATA-2 drive with DMA mode 2 sounds very hopeful for the USB device reading it.

Unicorn herding operations are proceeding, but all the totes of hens teeth and barrels of rocking horse poop give them plenty of hiding spots.

Reply 11 of 11, by sangokushi

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
BitWrangler wrote on 2023-06-09, 22:05:

1996 ATA-2 drive with DMA mode 2 sounds very hopeful for the USB device reading it.

Thanks, I will order an USB to IDE adapter to test it.
Are all USB to IDE adapter the same?
Is there a recommended brand/chipset?

Also, when I connect the drive to the USB to IDE adapter, does the drive need to be set in master or cable select?
(Currently the drive is set to cable select and doesn't have a jumper, I may need to find a jumper somewhere)