VOGONS

First post, by retep_110

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hello vogons Initially I have thought that I already have found a good basis for my 97 to 99 dram gaming machine. A pentium 3 800mhz hp. The only stuff missing would have been a Voodoo 2 or Voodoo 3 graphics and then I sound card and then I could get startet.

A disussion in the video cart section of the forum that I a p3 800mhz could be to slow under some special circumstances for some games made me thinking again.

How far could push a Voodoo 2 or Voodoo 3 card cpu wise to really get every 97 to 99 game running perfectly? Something in the pentium 4 range? or Athlon xp or maybe even athlon 64?

the main point of the my plans was to get good 3dfx glide system but in case the ultmative version of a 97-99 gaming machine would need a more powerful card than a Voodoo i would also consider ditching the Voodoo and replace it with something like Geforce 4, a card that been recommended here very frequently.

But my main fields of interest are still the Voodoo cards and I am curious now how far a voodoo 2 or voodoo 3 can pushed cpu wise before it is really getting out of hand.

Last edited by retep_110 on 2023-06-05, 11:56. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 1 of 9, by The Serpent Rider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Depends on resolution. Particular game can be CPU hungry, but you're playing it in high resolution and on Voodoo 3, so that's irrelevant. But 640x480 16-bit mode quickly outpaced CPU capabilities to load 3D accelerator with data in many games.

Last edited by The Serpent Rider on 2023-06-05, 11:40. Edited 1 time in total.

I must be some kind of standard: the anonymous gangbanger of the 21st century.

Reply 2 of 9, by retep_110

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
The Serpent Rider wrote on 2023-06-05, 11:33:

Depends on resolution. Particular game can be CPU hungry, but you're playing it in high resolution and on Voodoo 3, so that's irrelevant.

When playing around with old games on more modern hardware I found out that at least to me old games of that era look the best in either 800x600 or 1024x768. with max settings. Getting higher rosolutions can look nice as well but sometimes the gaming interface starts to look a bit strange. I think that's natural because some of these games were never meant to be played at super high resolutions.

Last edited by retep_110 on 2023-06-05, 11:56. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 3 of 9, by The Serpent Rider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Athlon 1400 or XP equivalent. Although, PIII 1Ghz will suffice in most cases.

I must be some kind of standard: the anonymous gangbanger of the 21st century.

Reply 4 of 9, by retep_110

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
The Serpent Rider wrote on 2023-06-05, 11:45:

Athlon 1400 or XP equivalent. Although, PIII 1Ghz will suffice in most cases.

Thanks again for the info. It would be very convenient if I P3 1 GHZ would suffice in most cases. I could keep the cost down then and just replace the 800mhz cpu with 1 GHZ coppermine.

Getting one of the Athlons would mean starting from the scratch with new mainboard and so forth. If the result is worth it I would not mind doing but that just upgrading the HP 800mhz system would be the easier way.

Reply 5 of 9, by theiceman085

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Have you checked out various youtube channels like 3dfx history? They show 3dfx card gameplay videos with various cards and different cpu. One Half Life video was made with a Athlon xp 2400 and a Voodoo 3 card and it looks good.

I hope it is allowed to post videos here

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g4hdY3zygQo

Reply 6 of 9, by Meatball

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Based on your last thread, there is nothing more think about. You have more information available than you need. Your mind is made up; now it is time to execute the plan! Otherwise, you'll be flopping around like a fish on the deck of ship - You're never going to play any games. The more information you seek, the more you are going to suffer from analysis paralysis.

Your plan is a 1GHz Voodoo3 3000, now go build, play, and enjoy!

Reply 7 of 9, by retep_110

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Meatball wrote on 2023-06-05, 16:13:

Based on your last thread, there is nothing more think about. You have more information available than you need. Your mind is made up; now it is time to execute the plan! Otherwise, you'll be flopping around like a fish on the deck of ship - You're never going to play any games. The more information you seek, the more you are going to suffer from analysis paralysis.

Your plan is a 1GHz Voodoo3 3000, now go build, play, and enjoy!

After thinking about it again you are right. That is the way to go. I stopp reading about that matter before getting even further confused and dragged. Just stay away from news cycle and grab the p3 800 mhz system next week on the 10th and then order Pentium 3 1GHZ together with my voodoo 3 card after checking out the functionality of the system and then replace it.

@theiceman No I have not seen the yt channel yet but nice thing that are dedicated voodoo fan channels. Will check it out.

Reply 8 of 9, by AlexZ

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

You can swap the PIII 800 for 900 or 1Ghz. Don't expect much from 3dfx though, it is totally inferior to my FX5600 in terms of frame rate and resolution. I never use Voodoo 2 for that reason. It is only useful for very early 3d games (1997-1998) that don't support Direct 3D. In those games software rendering would look too ugly as textures lacked details back then. In 1999 Direct 3D support was more common.

Pentium III 900E, ECS P6BXT-A+, 384MB RAM, NVIDIA GeForce FX 5600 128MB, Voodoo 2 12MB, 80GB HDD, Yamaha SM718 ISA, 19" AOC 9GlrA
Athlon 64 3400+, MSI K8T Neo V, 1GB RAM, NVIDIA GeForce 7600GT 512MB, 250GB HDD, Sound Blaster Audigy 2 ZS

Reply 9 of 9, by retep_110

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
AlexZ wrote on 2023-06-05, 19:23:

You can swap the PIII 800 for 900 or 1Ghz. Don't expect much from 3dfx though, it is totally inferior to my FX5600 in terms of frame rate and resolution. I never use Voodoo 2 for that reason. It is only useful for very early 3d games (1997-1998) that don't support Direct 3D. In those games software rendering would look too ugly as textures lacked details back then. In 1999 Direct 3D support was more common.

Thanks for the info. Yes I am aware that single Voodoo 2 card is not the best choice. That's why i wanted to either get Voodoo 2 sli card and another direct 3d card like the geforce mx440. Or option b would be getting single Voodoo 3 2000. Which it is going to be depends on the price and availability.