VOGONS

First post, by tomcattech

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Came across a wonderful AT case that came with "parts".

Motherboard, Pentium MMX 233 CPU and power supply turned out to be just fine.

Threw in a good Matrox Milennium video card, Hard drive, CD ROM and she is up and running.

If I throw it on the Bay does anyone have any going price for such a setup or is it better to part out?

Attachments

• MMX.jpg
    Filename
    MMX.jpg
    File size
    46.8 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Public domain

Reply 1 of 13, by unBIOSed

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I'd just look at the completed/sold listings under advanced search for the various components and see what they've been going for in your part of the world.

With the mobo you definitely want to look up the model, or failing that look at what similar boards with the same form factor, chipset and features have sold for. If I had to take a guess I'd say that case contains a Super Socket 7 AT form factor mobo - you could definitely get a few bob for that.

Reply 4 of 13, by BitWrangler

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I am well sated with that class of system, so it would have to be exceptionally cheap to tempt me, I feel like $100 is probably the low end though, "as found" kind of deals, whereas cleaned up and tested is more like $250ish.

Unicorn herding operations are proceeding, but all the totes of hens teeth and barrels of rocking horse poop give them plenty of hiding spots.

Reply 5 of 13, by Anonymous Coward

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

If you want to part it out, I would sell the case and drives as a set, and bundle everything else.

"Will the highways on the internets become more few?" -Gee Dubya
V'Ger XT|Upgraded AT|Ultimate 386|Super VL/EISA 486|SMP VL/EISA Pentium

Reply 6 of 13, by FinalJenemba

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
BitWrangler wrote on 2023-06-06, 02:02:

I am well sated with that class of system, so it would have to be exceptionally cheap to tempt me, I feel like $100 is probably the low end though, "as found" kind of deals, whereas cleaned up and tested is more like $250ish.

I agree with this 100%. 200-250 is where a good tested MMX tower is right now. I have bought and sold around that price in the year on ebay.

Reply 8 of 13, by Horun

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Depends on where you live. I got the Micron similar for $125 in USA but it was a bargain. Possibly worth more but you do not mention what motherboard which is a key factor...

Hate posting a reply and then have to edit it because it made no sense 😁 First computer was an IBM 3270 workstation with CGA monitor. Stuff: https://archive.org/details/@horun

Reply 9 of 13, by Socket3

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

hard to price retro computers sometimes, especially ones with rather common parts.

In general, a retro computer is only worth what a potetinal buyer (or buyers) is willing to pay.

After listening to other's opinion about your build, I'd say 200$ is a good starting price - from there you can see if it sells or if you get any offers close to that.

THEN AGAIN, considering how good that AT case looks, it alone MIGHT be worth 100$ to some. Personally I'm always on the lookout for good looking AT cases with power supplies and small Hard Disks in good condition. Others might be interested in the Matrox Millenium. Personally if I was in a market for such a system max I'd pay is 50$ for the case, 20$ for the video card, 20$ for mainboard + CPU, 30-40$ for the hard disk drive. Working low-speed period correct (for older builds) CD-ROMs are also getting rare, but there are newer drives without any lettering on the front (sony for example) witch look ok on older builds.

Anyway, good luck with the sale!

Reply 12 of 13, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

That does look like a very nice AT case. It doesn't look yellowed at all actually. Happen to have any idea what model number it is?
It kinda looks like an AOpen case actually or at least I wouldn't be surprised if it turned out to be an AOpen case.

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!

Reply 13 of 13, by rasz_pl

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I would save some hassle by listing in local classifieds/fb marketplace with face to face meeting. Shipping old systems often results in handling damage and you end up having to argue with your parcel carrier.

Open Source AT&T Globalyst/NCR/FIC 486-GAC-2 proprietary Cache Module reproduction