Reply 140 of 144, by weedeewee

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
rasz_pl wrote on 2023-07-01, 06:30:

one picture of scope screen would solve it immediately 😀

depending on the scope... screen & settings 😉

Right to repair is fundamental. You own it, you're allowed to fix it.
How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Do not ask Why !
https://www.vogonswiki.com/index.php/Serial_port

Reply 141 of 144, by feipoa

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I've experienced the same issue with a cold joint in the past - lightly tapping it with a probe made the cold joint temporarily disappear.

As motherboards get older, I'm finding myself reflowing parts more and more.

Plan your life wisely, you'll be dead before you know it.

Reply 142 of 144, by rasz_pl

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
pshipkov wrote on 2023-07-01, 06:50:

It shows on the oscilloscope screen.

picture of TX signal would show mangled logic levels, turning on serial decoder would reveal its a bad signal
With both 1488/89 level translators missing negative supply there was a considerable chance of receiver interpreting bad input correctly resulting in working loopback test, now that one would be fun to debug with most people arguing physical transmission is clearly working so no need to look at the signal 😀
glad its fixed

Open Source AT&T Globalyst/NCR/FIC 486-GAC-2 proprietary Cache Module reproduction

Reply 143 of 144, by Horun

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Glad you found the issue and was an easy fix !

Hate posting a reply and then have to edit it because it made no sense 😁 First computer was an IBM 3270 workstation with CGA monitor. Stuff: https://archive.org/details/@horun

Reply 144 of 144, by pentiumspeed

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
pshipkov wrote on 2023-07-01, 02:20:
Success ! It was the -12V line. A rail somewhere flaking on and off frequently from even gentle touches of the components. So, a […]
Show full quote

Success !
It was the -12V line.
A rail somewhere flaking on and off frequently from even gentle touches of the components.
So, apparently when i measure the -12V is mostly ok. So even for a moment it shows 0V i assume it is me not holding the probes right and pushing/tweaking them which brings the voltage back.
Pulled a wire on the back to pin B7 and that was it.

Thank you very much guys and especially to you @Deunan for prompting me to inspect this more carefully.
Command ports and how they function was never of big interest to me, but the information in this thread was a bonus to the fix itself.

Yay!! Good work!

Cheers,

Great Northern aka Canada.