VOGONS

Common searches

Ebay thread goodbye thread

Topic actions

• This topic is locked. You cannot reply or edit posts.

Reply 140 of 205, by luckybob

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I'm just counting my blessings that he is gone. (kithylin) After that breakdown of his, a bit of google-fu revealed to me he might have poor deals in the past, where he was paid for something and just bailed with the money. I can't say it was him 100%, but honestly how many fur-enthusiasts from texas named Kithylin are there? Also his youtube video with his dog was... ODD. And let's just leave it at that.

honestly, I had no issue with Jade. In reality, I pity him.

It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes.

Reply 141 of 205, by gdjacobs

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
cyclone3d wrote:

We can all go troll Jade's forum to death once it comes up. 🤣

Nah, I don't roll that way. Not enough concentrated asshole to be effective.

All hail the Great Capacitor Brand Finder

Reply 142 of 205, by Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
luckybob wrote:

I'm just counting my blessings that he is gone. (kithylin) After that breakdown of his, a bit of google-fu revealed to me he might have poor deals in the past, where he was paid for something and just bailed with the money. I can't say it was him 100%, but honestly how many fur-enthusiasts from texas named Kithylin are there? Also his youtube video with his dog was... ODD. And let's just leave it at that.

honestly, I had no issue with Jade. In reality, I pity him.

I see.

Wouldn't it be safer for all of us to ban kithylin as well, then? It seems to me the reason of EDIT button removal is to keep Jade (and his clones) from editing past post to troll Vogons, but even if kithylin is not Jade Falcon, he still has potential to do similar harm, because editing past post as retroactive revenge is kithylin's idea, not Jade's.

kithylin wrote:

And now also I get to spend a few hours today and go back to find any of my old posts where I actually contributed any useful information and delete the posts. I don't want to contribute anything to this place after this happened.

Never thought this thread would be that long, but now, for something different.....
Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman.

Reply 143 of 205, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
gdjacobs wrote:
cyclone3d wrote:

We can all go troll Jade's forum to death once it comes up. 🤣

Nah, I don't roll that way. Not enough concentrated asshole to be effective.

It would at least be a fun little exercise. MWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA 😈

Yamaha modified setupds and drivers
Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 144 of 205, by dexvx

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
brostenen wrote:
dexvx wrote:
Malik wrote:

It's good that the shady thread is now closed. It is a marketplace, whether one disagrees or not. And a shady one at that too. Maybe scrutinizing someone as receiving commission for posting the eBay links here is being a bit too far fetched, but the notion cannot be entirely excluded. Vetz has been a respectable member with good postings, and I'm sure this was not his intention.

Furthermore, is it too difficult to follow the "Vogons is no marketplace" forum requirement?

Rofl.

The people that post in the "I bought this hardware" thread is basically a marketplace. The predominant use case is to show off newly acquired goods (with some people openly posting prices). I've posted stuff and have gotten offers of cash or trade. And the vast majority of my stuff isn't considered rare or desirable.

Naaa... I don't think you want to go there. All I see is people that are proud of what they managed to get hold on.
If I can't be allowed to show how happy I am for something that I am going to use, then I will be talking way too much about it with my girlfriend. And she will be too pissed at me and my life would end up sucking too much. Better share my joy with someone who has the same hobby as I, than nagging my woman. It's like, she does not talk about her collection of goth shoes with me. I would go insane if I had to talk that much about shoes. And if you notice, then people disclose what they have paid for their stuff. Disclosing are not good for business, if you try to earn money.

Some points:

1. The eBay thread was also filled with people who proudly showed what they managed to get ahold of as well. Sure there was a ton of griping, whining, etc, but literally 90+% was done by a very small handful of people. It was also a way of sharing with the community and helping the community attain items that the person no longer needed so that the community can go forth and share what they acquire.

2. The moderators say a lot of drama was in that thread. Totally believable. But to think such drama would go away (without banning) is ridiculous. Instead of drama being in one concentrated area, it'll just spread around.

3. There are easy ways to mitigate most of the drama and seller promotions. Suspend/ban the handful of trouble-makers. Have registration/post requirements to even view the thread/subforum. Have post/membership age requirements to post in the eBay thread.

Reply 145 of 205, by Malik

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Perhaps, future registration of new members should require prior approval from the Admin/Mods to prevent further smearing by certain spammers/unwanted/ungrown elements.

Banning someone alone, by itself, does not seem to stop with someone who can re-register again freely and continue bombarding other members with obscenities and what not.

As I remember, the Admin and Mods here have been very forgiving and they never resort to banning immediately, unless the culprits are proving detrimental and bordering on harassing, to the community.

Sad that so many extreme measures need to be taken because of certain unwanted elements.

5476332566_7480a12517_t.jpgSB Dos Drivers

Reply 146 of 205, by dr_st

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
dexvx wrote:

1. The eBay thread was also filled with people who proudly showed what they managed to get ahold of as well.

Putting aside the questionable value to the community of people bragging about their 'good deals', this 'need' is easily met by the 'What new / retro hardware you bought today' thread(s).

dexvx wrote:

2. The moderators say a lot of drama was in that thread. Totally believable. But to think such drama would go away (without banning) is ridiculous. Instead of drama being in one concentrated area, it'll just spread around.

I totally support banning trouble makers. This is routinely done in many forums; heck, that's why that feature even exists in the forum software. 😀

dexvx wrote:

3. There are easy ways to mitigate most of the drama and seller promotions. Suspend/ban the handful of trouble-makers. Have registration/post requirements to even view the thread/subforum. Have post/membership age requirements to post in the eBay thread.

Or just replace this combination of rules you suggest with a single rule against having such a thread to begin with. 😀

https://cloakedthargoid.wordpress.com/ - Random content on hardware, software, games and toys

Reply 147 of 205, by TheAbandonwareGuy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Maybe we should do what some forums do and require an EDU or ISP eMail address to register?

Cyb3rst0rms Retro Hardware Warzone: https://discord.gg/jK8uvR4c
I used to own over 160 graphics card, I've since recovered from graphics card addiction

Reply 148 of 205, by BeginnerGuy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
TheAbandonwareGuy wrote:

Maybe we should do what some forums do and require an EDU or ISP eMail address to register?

I dont have access to my university address anymore. I'd have to check if my new isp offers them, i usually avoid them bacause i move and switch isps. I registered with Gmail and I'm sure plenty of others have too 😒.

I think once we get over discussing the trolling and back to our retro addictions, the trolls will simply wither away.

This obviously runs pretty deep when a user has alt accounts that are nearly a decade old on a hobby forum.

Sup. I like computers. Are you a computer?

Reply 149 of 205, by TheAbandonwareGuy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
BeginnerGuy wrote:
I dont have access to my university address anymore. I'd have to check if my new isp offers them, i usually avoid them bacause i […]
Show full quote
TheAbandonwareGuy wrote:

I dont have access to my university address anymore. I'd have to check if my new isp offers them, i usually avoid them bacause i move and switch isps. I registered with Gmail and I'm sure plenty of others have too 😒.

I think once we get over discussing the trolling and back to our retro addictions, the trolls will simply wither away.

This obviously runs pretty deep when a user has alt accounts that are nearly a decade old on a hobby forum.

My vote is we take his IP (Jade Falcon/Kithylin) and DDOS him into another dimension until he gets the message that retaliatory action will be taken and he will not be tolerated. Trolls don't speak our language, but they do understand action. If that fails we move to progressively more damaging courses of action until he finally decides its not worth it.

I used to own over 160 graphics card, I've since recovered from graphics card addiction

Reply 150 of 205, by BeginnerGuy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
TheAbandonwareGuy wrote:

My vote is we take his IP (Jade Falcon/Kithylin) and DDOS him into another dimension until he gets the message that retaliatory action will be taken and he will not be tolerated. Trolls don't speak our language, but they do understand action. If that fails we move to progressively more damaging courses of action until he finally decides its not worth it.

As you get older and your high testosterone is replaced with wrinkles and vinegar you'll recognize that people lashing out like that are doing it simply for a moment of attention, even if it is as our nemesis.

The best way to defeat them is by showing our ability to ignore them. We aren't here for a soap opera after all. My biggest suggestion for the mods/owners of this board is to simply (or not so simply, but i know the board software is open source and we have an entire community of hackers here) remove the ability to edit posts after X days and get the edit feature back. I guarantee you he'll lurk around with his extra account just waiting to show us his ultra power by posting boobs on an ancient thread.

Most forums go this way, and its not so bad, allow thread owners with half decent reputation to edit their OP or reserve a few subsequent posts upon PMing a moderator. Problem solved.

Ahh solving problems is so easy on paper :p

Sup. I like computers. Are you a computer?

Reply 151 of 205, by Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
TheAbandonwareGuy wrote:

I'm quite pessimistic about IP ban. Masking your IP is not that difficult. Come on, I did it several times when trolling against bible-thumpers in some local forum! 😁

I still hope the mods and admins would ban kithylin though, especially before they re-enable the EDIT button.

Never thought this thread would be that long, but now, for something different.....
Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman.

Reply 152 of 205, by dr_st

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
TheAbandonwareGuy wrote:

HELL NO.
BTW, it was suggested before; thankfully the administration understands that it makes no sense. Most normal people do not ever use an EDU or ISP email address.

Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman wrote:

I'm quite pessimistic about IP ban. Masking your IP is not that difficult. Come on, I did it several times when trolling against bible-thumpers in some local forum! 😁

It still is an extra hoop for the idiots to jump through, but the problem is that if they are on an ISP with a dynamic IP, this may adversely affect innocent users on the same ISP.

Some forums that I frequented had an insta-ban policy. Basically, if your account has been banned enough times, and you open a new one, and it's obvious beyond a reasonable doubt that you are that same person - you are banned on the spot, no matter whether you violated something or not.

https://cloakedthargoid.wordpress.com/ - Random content on hardware, software, games and toys

Reply 154 of 205, by 386_junkie

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Artex wrote:

Holy cats! Apparently I missed a LOT in the last week eh?

🤣 ... having a family does that.

I'm sure much of what I going to say has been said already but in my own review... I would say the forum closure was for the best. The market for vintage computers is getting out of hand with obscene prices that nobody is willing to pay... the eBay thread didn't help that. I also suspect there were one or two advertising their own hardware... then again there is no way to confirm or prove this.

Thirdly, it was a breeding ground for the likes of Kithylin... which spawned Jade Falcon. All the ultimatums thrown around in the end were really childish. The proclamation that the eBay thread was the best on Vogons and that was the only reason they came kind of takes a big dump on anything I, or anyone else, have contributed here. The hours spent repairing, restoring, rebuilding etc etc then taking photos before writing up the thread itself to contribute here on to the forums takes a lot longer and is of far more value than a simple click, copy, paste of an eBay link all IMO of course.

Let's get back to our roots and actually DO something with the hardware rather than trying to buy/sell it.

My regards to the mods,

Compaq Systempro; EISA Dual 386 ¦ Compaq Junkiepro; EISA Dual 386 ¦ ALR Powerpro; EISA Dual 386

EISA Graphic Cards ¦ EISA Graphic Card Benchmarks

Reply 155 of 205, by slivercr

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
386_junkie wrote:

Let's get back to our roots and actually DO something with the hardware rather than trying to buy/sell it.

This.

I work under the assumption people interested in old games and hardware actually know how to get their hands in old games and hardware, no need for a thread with "deals". I'd much rather see more users posting their builds and asking for (or giving) advice than discussing prices and lamenting they cannot buy another PCI voodoo3 because its soooo expensive 🙄 That said, if someone asks me where I got something and for how much, I probably would tell them, so this leads me to…

A question for the mods: what if in one of our threads someone asks where we sourced a particular part? I once linked someone to an ebay seller who has a bunch of NIB slotkets in stock, is that cool or a no-no?

Outrigger: an ongoing adventure with the OR840
QuForce FX 5800: turn your Quadro into a GeForce

Reply 156 of 205, by cj_reha

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
TheAbandonwareGuy wrote:

I don't think this would be a good idea, since that cuts off a LOT of perfectly good people from using a forum.

Join the Retro PC Discord! - https://discord.gg/UKAFchB
My YouTube Channel - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCDJYB_ZDsIzXGZz6J0txgCA

Reply 157 of 205, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
slivercr wrote:

A question for the mods: what if in one of our threads someone asks where we sourced a particular part? I once linked someone to an ebay seller who has a bunch of NIB slotkets in stock, is that cool or a no-no?

If it's judged not to be a hidden agenda then mabye. Best to keep it to a PM if it seems like it could be judged to be so. I have no interest in ebay so if I have to go elsewhere than vogons to verify something I don't give a crap about then easier just to say no. The vogons policy on trading isn't really that complicated and doesn't need a long list of what qualifies.

If it looks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, we have at least to consider the possibility that we have a small aquatic bird of the family Anatidae on our hands

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 158 of 205, by spiroyster

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Trying to keep the trolls out by concocting some elaborate quest every time you want to post or edit won't work. There is no system (currently), because trolls are like you or I or any other user, i.e human, and posts stuff. If there is a system which would work, I'm sure the internet would have come up with something by now, in the meantime you can only swat a troll at the moment you know when they are a toll (i,e they post trolly stuff). All that can be done then is admin hammer, IP ban, post deletion etc... this all boils down to good 'ol human moderation, more mods maybe? and the help of the community reporting so the mods can deal with it when they are awake o.0.

You can't kill a troll really, they have to get bored, they get bored by people ignoring them imo.

Good bye ebay thread... I bid you farewell on your journey to that big recycling bin in the sky ... wayback machine.

Reply 159 of 205, by TheAbandonwareGuy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
386_junkie wrote:
:lol: ... having a family does that. […]
Show full quote
Artex wrote:

Holy cats! Apparently I missed a LOT in the last week eh?

🤣 ... having a family does that.

I'm sure much of what I going to say has been said already but in my own review... I would say the forum closure was for the best. The market for vintage computers is getting out of hand with obscene prices that nobody is willing to pay... the eBay thread didn't help that. I also suspect there were one or two advertising their own hardware... then again there is no way to confirm or prove this.

Thirdly, it was a breeding ground for the likes of Kithylin... which spawned Jade Falcon. All the ultimatums thrown around in the end were really childish. The proclamation that the eBay thread was the best on Vogons and that was the only reason they came kind of takes a big dump on anything I, or anyone else, have contributed here. The hours spent repairing, restoring, rebuilding etc etc then taking photos before writing up the thread itself to contribute here on to the forums takes a lot longer and is of far more value than a simple click, copy, paste of an eBay link all IMO of course.

My regards to the mods,

I think prices on retro computing parts Will go back down eventually. There aren't enough people to keep up the high demand. It isn't like NES games where any idiot with two hands and an eyeball can throw a cartridge into a slot. You only have XXX amount of people with the required knowledge to use this stuff, and i would bet there dying off or moving into the age zone where this hobby doesn't matter to them MUCH faster than new users are being trained.