Common searches

Name your machines

Topic actions

First post, by VileR

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Let's do one of those generic threads! could be sorta fun: What names do you give your computers (oldschool or modern), and what's behind them?

(No, not in a weirdo personification sort of way - just what do you set as the machine's computer name/network name, or even the hard drive's volume label, or whatever.)

For me:
TLEILAX - daily driver (from Frank Herbert's Dune books)
SHELTON - secondary/file server box (as in Mark "The Shark"; musician)
CUGEL - my IBM 5160 (after that 'clever' bastard from Jack Vance's Dying Earth series)

Yours?

[ WEB ] - [ BLOG ] - [ TUBE ] - [ CODE ]

Reply 1 of 36, by Errius

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Yes I do this when dealing with multiple identical or similar computers. e.g. instead of calling them "Proliant1", "Proliant2" etc. it's PEGASUS, PERSEUS, PERKELE etc. Easier to remember and reduces confusion.

Is this too much voodoo?

Reply 2 of 36, by xjas

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Generally desktops/towers/rackmounts get the names of planets while laptops/thin clients/etc. get moons or small bodies. I'm typing this on Saturn. The two laptops that I tend use most are Quaoar and Ixion.

There are a few exceptions, like my Shuttle XPC is named Astronaut 😉 and one of my netbooks is Ada (after Ada Lovelace, although there's also a main belt asteroid with that name.)

twitch.tv/oldskooljay - playing the obscure, forgotten & weird - most Tuesdays & Thursdays @ 6:30 PM PDT. Bonus streams elsewhen!

Reply 3 of 36, by SW-SSG

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

TP-A30

Sorry, I'm boring. Even my modern machines are named after their model names (such as ThinkPad X220 ==> "X220", Lifebook AH532 ==> "AH532", etc). I got rid of my desktops a while ago, but the self-built ones were usually named after whatever northbridge chip was inside (e.g. the SE440BX-2 build was called "440BX").

EDIT: added line about the desktops.

Last edited by SW-SSG on 2018-07-14, 20:42. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 5 of 36, by Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

VOGONG - Very Old Games On New GPU.

JBL_L20_T_Rotel_RB-985_01.jpg
The machine.

Monster_Truck_Madness_006_-_with_edge_AA_no_MLAA.jpg
One of the games.

Yes, the mobo is mATX, recycled from my home office computer. But despite the lack of expansion slots, I can put a Radeon HD 7770 on it, with Windows XP Service Pack 2 installed. Kinda overpowered for old games, but the goal is maximizing AA and AF on such games --if the games work on the first place. So it works as "test system" to find out which old games run on Cape Verde-generation GPU, and which ones do not.

Never thought this thread would be that long, but now, for something different.....
Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman.

Reply 7 of 36, by root42

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I choose places from Middleearth: The Shire, Lothlorien, Moria, Rivendell, ...

YouTube and Bonus
80486DX@33 MHz, 16 MiB RAM, Tseng ET4000 1 MiB, SnarkBarker & GUSar Lite, PC MIDI Card+X2+SC55+MT32, OSSC

Reply 8 of 36, by VileR

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
keropi wrote:
mine are all K-something K-WRK1 K-PC K-SRV K-386 LOL […]
Show full quote

mine are all K-something
K-WRK1
K-PC
K-SRV
K-386
🤣

All these and yet no "K-RAD"... 🤣

[ WEB ] - [ BLOG ] - [ TUBE ] - [ CODE ]

Reply 9 of 36, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

In the 200X's it was a rozen scheme. "Junk" was my M919-based 586486, which is probably insulting to those who think m919 is some old school lost retro gold or something.

apsosig.png
long live PCem

Reply 10 of 36, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
VileRancour wrote:
keropi wrote:
mine are all K-something K-WRK1 K-PC K-SRV K-386 LOL […]
Show full quote

mine are all K-something
K-WRK1
K-PC
K-SRV
K-386
🤣

All these and yet no "K-RAD"... 🤣

yeah... I'm stealing that 🤣 🤣 🤣

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website

Reply 11 of 36, by Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Errius wrote:

What Rotel is that?

Rotel RB-985, though as of now, I'm only using 2 out of 5 channel. Anyway, its bass is very strong and punchy, but it veils the sound, reducing airiness and transparency. As such, the RB-985 is excellent for games --especially explosive games, but not-so-good for music.

Never thought this thread would be that long, but now, for something different.....
Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman.

Reply 12 of 36, by JayCeeBee64

User metadata
Rank Retired
Rank
Retired

I pick any name that comes to mind, nothing special or particular.

FREEBIRD - S7 Pentium 166MMX/Win95A/DOS 6.2 PC, taken from Lynyrd Skynyrd's 1973 debut album (yes, I like this song a lot 😊 )
ICENI - S370 Pentium 3 1000EB/Win98SE PC, an iron-age Celtic Briton tribe from England (and a true rebel without a cause 😏 )
MEPHISTO - Slot 1 Pentium 3 600 Katmai/Windows 2000 PC, taken from "The Mephisto Waltz" movie (my 'prime evil' music creation machine |-] )
CYGNUS-X1 - S478 Pentium 4 2.4GHz/Windows XP/Linux Mint PC, a stellar black hole in the constellation Cygnus (and I misspelled the name on purpose 😜 )
VERITAS - LGA 1155 Core i5 3350p 3.1GHz/Windows 7 PC, the Roman goddess of truth (my honest-to-goodness main PC)

Last edited by JayCeeBee64 on 2019-12-17, 21:02. Edited 1 time in total.

Ooohh, the pain......

Reply 13 of 36, by CrossBow777

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Well, I usually only have ever had two computers at any given time. So I've only used two names for all of my computers. My first original 286 I had in the late 90s through - '93 was called "Kristi" because I had this massive crush on a girl in school whose name that happened to be. Yeah...creepy I know...

However, after I built my first actual PC piece by piece in '96 I've since called them all "Ivory Tower". It is of course based off of the Never Ending Story. For me at the time and I suppose now as well, that remains as one of my favorite childhood movies. But more importantly, Ivory Tower is where new worlds to explore are created and my imagination can roam within the games and projects of my computer... So ever since then, all of my primary computers have been named Ivory Tower. I do name my external drives and USB thumb drives with the names of characters from the movie as well to keep them in order, Falkor, Atreyu...etc.

g883j7-2.png
Midi Modules: MT-32 (OLD), MT-200, MT-300, MT-90S, MT-90U, SD-20

Reply 16 of 36, by gdjacobs

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

If you want to. The name has bad juju at the moment, though, so I probably wouldn't.

All hail the Great Capacitor Brand Finder

Reply 18 of 36, by Standard Def Steve

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Only the machines that are connected to my home network have names:

BigBear - main PC
BigDell - DOS/Win98 machine
LittleDell - modern USFF Optiplex for general Internet access/streaming in my hobby room
MediumSizedDell - Optiplex tower shoved into a cabinet, dedicated to running MAME.
MrWoz - a 2015 iMac
PoshSpice - a 3.13GHz Opteron X2 mainly used for XP games.
SuperP3 - a turbo-charged Tualatin system
Dopefish - Surface Pro 4
Findlay - Home theater PC
DancesWithDisks - File server and router
ForestFire - HP laser printer/scanner

94 MHz NEC VR4300 | SGI Reality CoPro | 8MB RDRAM | Each game gets its own SSD - nooice!

Reply 19 of 36, by reenigne

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Mine are all named after characters from Shakespeare plays (and my wifi network is named Stratford):

benedict - main laptop
prospero - main office desktop machine
imogen - media PC
falstaff - son's bedroom desktop
lysander - old office desktop
tybalt - workshop desktop
hermione - work laptop
petruchio - old work laptop
perdita - wife's laptop
orsino - wife's old laptop
adam - IBM 5160
I also had laptops called puck and beatrice at one point, but the former broke and I gave the latter away.