VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by DracoNihil

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I'm not sure how many of us here bother with multiplayer but I thought I'd ask anyways. (I know clueless1 had fun with me in UT99 atleast!)

I've certainly not had the chance to play this with or against live players so I'm really curious what kind of a experience it'd be.

“I am the dragon without a name…”
― Κυνικός Δράκων

Reply 1 of 4, by 0kool

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

One would think that on a platform like Vogons people will actually line up to beat some pixels out of each other. Alas, most likely in their leisure time they're tinkering with their precious hardware (I sure do).

Certainly want to play some multiplayer games. Keep my machines offline, but I guess something could be arranged with DOSBox or VMware.

Also, I remember coming across this multiplayer dedicated site http://www.classicgamingarena.com/
but at the moment it's down.

Do you have any particular plan in mind, like Hamachi or something? Last time I played 90's titles over the net, I had to use a 56k (or was it 33.6k?) Acorp modem and it was hot summer of 2002 😵. Saigon.. Well, except for the last part 🤣.

I think it would be easier for many to come aboard once someone laid the basics, e.g. "install this" and "connect to that" on "some date at 12pm ET".

Reply 2 of 4, by DracoNihil

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

There's no need for DosBOX:
https://www.dxx-rebirth.com/

I already have the UDP port it uses forwarded to my PC already so, all I really need to do is host. I'm going to assume people have the GOG release or otherwise the "Definitive Edition" which the GOG release is based on because it's not going to be a very good thing if the HOG, HAM, and PIG files conflict with mine.

I'm leaning more towards Anarchy (Deathmatch) play than co-op, especially since co-op has the max players limited last I checked. But if one would want to do co-op with me I'm fine with that.

― Κυνικός Δράκων

Reply 3 of 4, by 0kool

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Interesting. Can't clients use the DXX version as well? In any case, I can get it from GOG no problems. I'm open to whatever, just sort of busy for the first part of this week. And it would be cool to get a few more players.

Reply 4 of 4, by DracoNihil

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I mean, everyone has to use the source port obviously since there's no TCP\IP-UDP\IP protocol in the original DOS Descent last I remember...

Just be sure to use the v0.60 BETA 2 version as that's exactly what I'm using, I don't use the nightly builds.

― Κυνικός Δράκων