VOGONS

Common searches

Technological critique

Topic actions

Reply 100 of 103, by dnewhous

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

There's something else wrong with tape players besides a lack of an adequate bias frequency. You really need to promulgate the ....something something to get them to sound right.

Also, which video tape format can be transferred to slides easiest?

Even better, do VHS tapes work in Super 8 machines?

Btw, my prescription is for 14 days, not a month.

Daniel L Newhouse

Reply 101 of 103, by 386SX

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Zup wrote on 2020-07-22, 13:34:

Nobody talks about standard batteries being substituted by (not standard) rechargeable ones?

I still have digital cameras that uses AA batteries and a mp3 that uses AAA... but I know that my (better) Philips mp3 will be junk when the battery fails.

This is really something that tells a lot about this technological era we live in. I too have portable analog or digital 90's stuff that can be powered with AA or AAA batteries just as well as 20 years ago. Nowdays anything need to have a short lifetime.. one day some type of batteries might become impossible to find or very rare or expensive and that player or whatever device would not be usable anymore. There were even phones having AA cell type batteries (Ni-Mh or Ni-Cd I suppose)...
But usually anything related to this technological era is something hard to compare to the old times where technology was not necessary for the mass and even if it was for the mass the whole logic behind how the market worked was totally different.
Once you could have bought a computer and used is as a TV table if you wanted to, it was not needed to be used at all, just to be bought and maybe mostly didn't even had the need to buy it (I say computer for example but also other devices I mean).
Nowdays it seems like the goal is not the closed-box object that need to be sold to the consumer, every goals seems evolved into the usage itself of the device. The device could be sold for free but it's too important the consumer must use it daily and in the way the device has been designed only. Just look at smartphones and compare them to the old 90's computers and the logic behind them and behind any modern devices with contracts, agreements, ads, cloud, ai, telemetries etc.. make feel like the consumer life itself is the product and not the product itself.

Reply 102 of 103, by dnewhous

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I have found a couple of obscure settings by fiddling with my TV. If you go to setup you can change the input labels of HDMI 1 to "RECEIVER" which is what is really connected rather than a blu ray player. Also, you can change the "black" from light to dark. I hate light black because it makes the black wash out the image a bit. I tried turning up the contrast but it makes the image look weird in other ways. There is also a "first time setup" menu that can be used to set date and time.

HD Size "Size 1" is a zoomed image. You need to change to "Size 2" to see the full image.

Daniel L Newhouse

Reply 103 of 103, by 386SX

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

If we are talking about the decline of generic technology I could talk all day long about how much anything modern feels absurd and far to me from imho what I suppose people usually needs from tech products no matter which type, audio, computer, game console, music players, whatever.
One for all would be the actual concept of the smartphone that imho went so far there's probably no way back to any smartphone-less life at least for the masses beside someone that force itself to come back to the the past type of free time life when portable devices might be useful but not necessary.
It's not only a nostalgic point of view but often any digital product seems to have followed the same path. The logic of a computer/phone/game-console as a temporary useful tool seems partially replaced by the device as a sort of "life-saving" tool can't be live without. Some might leave their house without their shoes more than their digital devices.
But even computers follow a similar path, modern software too where the lightest more useless sw weight hundreds of megabytes of installation, frameworks, browsers, all type of ads, analytics, whatever thing make the old "freeware/shareware/buy" logic mostly disappeared since decades when simply buying the product was enough and could be used forever without which time based agreements/contracts. Components drivers weight also the same absurd amount of space to just work without even installing external software often with absurd GUIs that try to be user friendly and end up to feel like not following any optimization, stability and accessibility when sometimes options are not even easy to find as usually was done in the old windows logics.. not to mention the o.s. themself.. the logic of a consumer tech product bought as a closed box nowdays seems like a service that must be used in the way intended, not simply bought.