VOGONS

Common searches

Glide Wrapper for Nvidia Cards!

Topic actions

• This topic is locked. You cannot reply or edit posts.

First post, by Sune Salminen

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Once upon a time, before Creative Labs bought 3DFX, they released a "Unified Driver" for the TNT card that when running Windows, would translate Glide calls to DirectX. I remember playing Carmageddon II in Glide mode without much of a speed impact on the TNT1 i had back then.
I saw the "wrapper" thread here, and immediately went to the newsgroup creative.products.graphics_blaster.riva_tnt were i read about this driver back in 1999, and talked to one of the old regulars who still hang out there.

Surprise, surprise, he told me that some russians have hacked the driver to not check for a Creative Labs card so it will work on all TNT based cards. I have yet to test this driver on my Geforce, but it will probably work fine if it is coupled with DirectX 5 or whatever release was the latest at the time. Here's the URL:

Unified Driver

i hope i've made some of you guys a lttle bit excited about this, i would love to hear some test results!:p

Reply 2 of 25, by Snover

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Okay, after waiting for 10 minutes for the !@#$ thing, I finally finished downloading the hacked Unified driver. To save everyone else from the hell of trying to do that, I've attached it. (version 1.2)

Attachments

• Filename
    unified120.zip
    File size
    793.13 KiB
    Downloads
    1176 downloads
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Yes, it’s my fault.

Reply 3 of 25, by yawnmoth

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

zophar.net has some glide wrappers avialable for download:

http://www.zophar.net/utilities/glidewrapper.html

How does that wrapper compare to those? If it was released by 3dfx themselves, it'd probably be better, but it may not be designed to take advantage of all that it can, now...

Reply 5 of 25, by Snover

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Hey yeah, Russians are great, but damn them and their crappy chat.ru site!

Just as a note, Zophar highly recommends this Glide wrapper. It's open sourced, and apparently has lots of features. I still need to get Carmageddon out and test it. GTA too...hmm...

I just wonder if either of the wrappers work with DOS games, as most Windows games I have also have OpenGL (yay!) or Direct3D (eh, it works) display modes.

Yes, it’s my fault.

Reply 8 of 25, by Stiletto

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

According to Paul Guardinier of GLIDOS (http://www.glidos.net):
1. GLIDOS, of course, works with some/most DOS GLIDE games. Compatibility is improving as development continues.

2. GLIDOS contains his edited version of OpenGlide. If you replace his version of OpenGlide with another Windows Glide wrapper, it may work (He's tried it with eVoodoo and it worked.)

Or did you mean a DOS Glide wrapper FOR DOS? As far as I know, there was never any such thing. There were only a few other 3D APIs supported in DOS.

Stiletto

"I see a little silhouette-o of a man, Scaramouche, Scaramouche, will you
do the Fandango!" - Queen

Stiletto

Reply 9 of 25, by Nicht Sehr Gut

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Snover wrote:

Sune, that is AWESOME! I'm gonna grab my copy of Carmageddon and give it a whirl right now!

Carmageddon II also supports Direct3D, so there's not a whole lot of reason to use the Glide wrapper (except for testing purposes). The original Carmageddon used an early DOS Glide and the Glide wrappers for Windows out there won't work with it.

You can, however use GliDOS (this is the only "DOS Glide Wrapper" at present).

Reply 10 of 25, by Nicht Sehr Gut

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Used mostly old 3dfx demos (wanted programs that _only_ worked if a 3dfx card was present).

Results
----------
Unified Wrapper v1.20

glide2x.dll Version 2.60.00.120
"Other version" 2.60.00.120
=================================================
3dfxdemo-atsflip\flip\atsflip

Contents of D:\Desktop\3dfxdemo-atsflip\flip\atsflip\
At 7/3/02 1:52:50 PM 32 Files 6.07Mb
ANUBIS.BAT
Generic error window (no text), then ATB error "Couldn't detect the SST-1"

ATAT.BAT

atsflip.exe

DRAGON.BAT

dSKELETN.BAT

dVW.BAT

LUDWIG.BAT

MARTINI.BAT

SKELETON.BAT

VW.BAT

D:\Desktop\3dfxdemo-atsflip\flip\hpflip
HIND.BAT Init display, grSstOpen: Failed to map any board
SKELL.BAT Init display, grSstOpen: Failed to map any board

D:\Desktop\3dfxdemo-demoroom\demoroom
demoroom.exe
The DEMOROOM.EXE... SHOCK!!...works properly. Maps textures and all lighting
effects work properly.

D:\Desktop\3dfxdemo-race\racing
RACE.EXE
The RACE.EXE ... SHOCK!! (BAD)...doesn't work at all. Blank screen, then quits.

D:\Desktop\3dfxdemo-valleyofra\ValleyOfRa\fight
fight.exe
The FIGHT.EXE... SHOCK!! (BAD)...doesn't work at all. Blank screen, then quits.

D:\Desktop\3dfxdemo-wiz
wiz.exe
The wiz.EXE looks almost perfect. Texture maps all look good (well, couple of
glitches), and lighting is great (lava room, green dragon room, and the beholder)
Oddly, releasing a "bat" (the B key) will kill the program instantly (!?).

DRIVER (the Game)
Doesn't detect anything like Voodoo (native video only).

Reply 11 of 25, by Sune Salminen

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I knew about Carmageddon II supporting Direct 3D, and also that the driver wouldn't work in DOS. But at least you got some "Glide only" stuff to run with it. Maybe some programmers can learn some tricks by looking at the hacked version, i don't know..:p

Reply 16 of 25, by Stiletto

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

The Voodoo5 6000 did indeed make it "out there" in limited quantities. 3dfx was not exactly quick (nor seemed to care) in collecting their demonstration cards that were given to PC hardware review website owners, magazines, and even their own programmers and engineers.

The best current resource of information on the Voodoo5 6000 (including who you might be able to buy one from) is at the x3dfx forum at http://pub43.ezboard.com/bx3dfx
It currently has the largest collection of actual Voodoo5 6000 owners that I know of. The forum is great overall too, if you're interested in the latest trend of driver hacking, BIOS hacking, etc. for the 3dfx cards. http://x3dfx.da.ru/ and http://www.x3dfx.com are great as well. Expect to offer well over $1000-$1500 for a working card.

The Voodoo5 6000's on my list of rare computer hardware to be acquired eventually (along with the Creative Labs 3DO Blaster and other things). 😀

-------

As for Connectix, I know someone who works for them, a lead programmer in fact, and trust me when I say that I've asked about whether 3D hardware acceleration would be supported before, and it's not likely to happen soon. As has been mentioned before, the preliminary Voodoo/Voodoo2 "pass-through" support in the early days of Virtual PC (for the Macintosh) was removed in the advent of Virtual PC 4.0 and has not been reintroduced.

Quoting from the Virtual PC help file:
"Virtual PC 2.0 and 3.0 could use Voodoo and Voodoo2 graphics cards directly for increased performance for some 3D games. Because of the new technology underlying Virtual PC 4.0, it is technically unfeasible to use these or any other, video cards directly at this time."

Note: This was not emulation - since the Voodoo and Voodoo2 graphics cards were add-on cards, and not the main video card, Virtual PC could interface with these cards and treat them as if they were installed on their emulated PCs.

Anyhow, any sort of 3D hardware acceleration has not been as yet implemented in Virtual PC. It may be on the to-do list, but don't expect it for quite a while if ever.

But that's just a sidebar. 😀

"I see a little silhouette-o of a man, Scaramouche, Scaramouche, will you
do the Fandango!" - Queen

Stiletto

Reply 18 of 25, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Also note that any 3D "acceleration" in emulation would not take advantage of your host video card. So your "acceleration" would be comming from your CPU which is struggling to emulate everything else. I expect TNT1/Voodoo3 (640X480 max)levels of performance in VPC would be feasible but Games are not their primary market.

Their VESA emulation RULES however. 😀 Unfortunately their DOS sound SUCKS! 🙁

/EDIT
Host processor card=Host video card
/EDIT

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 19 of 25, by Nicht Sehr Gut

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
yawnmoth wrote:

it doesn't actually look like any of his tests were succesful 🙁

If you're talking about my test listing for the Unified Wrapper, consider:
1) I only tested a few programs, concentrating on older 3dfx demos to make _sure_ that I was seeing the emulation work (some newer programs will see that you don't have a Voodoo and switch to Direct3D or OpenGL without neccessarily tell you...).

2) What little testing I've done has yielded bizarre inconsistencies.
The "Unified Wrapper" only worked on a few items for me, but it seemed to work quite well when it did. The eVoodoo wrappers seem to work best for me, but they didn't seem to perform as well as the Unified.

Also, don't forget that different hardware configurations can have an effect on things. What doesn't work for me, _might_ work for you.