VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by Alkarion

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Every now and then, I meet with a friend with whom I have competed in Star Control and other classics since we were young kids. Basically, the games we play now are the same as in the good old days. We especially like those same/split-screen multiplayer games where joy and hate can be shared best. Even sitting in the same room playing games over a network feels different. (A humorous description of what this can be like can be found here.

Among the games we play are Star Control, Die Siedler (aka Serf City), Micro Machines 2, Tyrian, Der Patrizier, Rampart and Tank Wars. I'd like to know if you know any other great games of this kind, especially the small, easy to learn (but also others) which provide instant fun. I'm also interested in getting to know more older DOS games (pre 1995) which support modem play. The Underdogs has a very large database for multiplayer games, where you can sort according to type, but I'm not willing to go through all of them in order to find one or to gems.

Reply 1 of 7, by avatar_58

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Wacky Wheel is always fun. The different modes are great. DOOM is a given, but probably not what you are looking for. 😊 One Must Fall 2097 is pretty good, but only if you like fighting games. I think Capture the Flag has mode/lan support but I'm not sure, my brother and I used to just play it by not watching each other's moves on one computer 😁

The freeware CDOGS is actually great in Co-op mode. Try that out if you haven't yet. Its not pre-1995, but it is very true to classic dos fun.

I didn't get to play many DOS games multiplayer, as I didn't have a modem till late. The best I tried were a few DOOM and Duke3D sessions.

Reply 2 of 7, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

The only small multiplayer games I played back then were BBS games.

I played very few multiplayer games (non-BBS) and when I did they were usually the big releases and I only played them over modem or school LAN. These would be the typical Doom/Duke3D//Hexen/Heretic/Mech2/Falcon 3.0/Wacky Wheels/ROTT, etc.

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 3 of 7, by Xian97

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Wing Commander Armada was one I remember playing over the modem besides the usual Doom, Descent, or Heretic.

I never played multiplayer, it but a lot of friends really like Falcon 3.0.

My sister liked Lexi-Cross which supported modem play. It was kind of a cross between Wheel of Fortune and Scrabble by Interplay if I remember correctly.

Reply 5 of 7, by Alkarion

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Thanks for the suggestions so far. Scorched Earth is indeed a great game (though simple). I like the clone named Tank Wars for its cool weapons and add-ons.

Reply 6 of 7, by MegaBlast

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Alkarion wrote:

Thanks for the suggestions so far. Scorched Earth is indeed a great game (though simple). I like the clone named Tank Wars for its cool weapons and add-ons.

I think all scorched earth clones are poor, simplified versions of the original game. And for cool weapons and add-ons there are plenty of them in scorch, but you need to earn some money first to buy enough of these.