Rank
l33t++

http://www.ati.com/companyinfo/about/amd-ati.html

http://www.amd.com/us-en/Corporate/VirtualPre … ~110899,00.html

😳 😳 😳

Intel i7 5960X
Gigabye GA-X99-Gaming 5
8 GB DDR4 (2100)
8 GB GeForce GTX 1070 G1 Gaming (Gigabyte)

Reply 1 of 6, by bugs_bugger

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Strange thing. Reminds me of 3dfx. I really hope it does not lead both ati and amd to ruin. I like nvidia and intel, but I also like to have the choice. I do not want to imagine what would happen if i was forced to buy intel and nvidia stuff.

Reply 3 of 6, by avatar_58

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I mentioned this news on another forum months ago and it was fluffed off as unfounded rumours....then suddenly they merge 😁 Can't say I didn't see it coming.

Reply 4 of 6, by Xian97

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I was wondering what the benefits of buying ATI would be for AMD. I assume it would be for the GPU technology since the graphics cards themselves only have a marginal profit where CPUs have a much greater markup.

That got me thinking, maybe they are planning on moving the GPU to the CPU? For instance, my 386 required a math coprocessor to run Autocad or 3D Studio. The 486DX and later chips (not 486SX) intergrated the math coprocessor into the CPU. I also remember separate coprocessors for vector and scalar graphics years ago on some platforms, functions that are now performed by the CPU. Intergrating the GPU functions in the CPU would probably speed up many operations since they would not have to cross the bus. Wild speculation on my part, but that would be one reason I could see why AMD wanted the GPU technology. What I find ironic is that I always had much better results with AMD/Nvidia combinations than AMD/ATI.

Reply 5 of 6, by Zup

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Maybe the answer is more complete chipset for laptops. Intel pack for laptops is a CPU, chipset (with graphics included) and wifi card, all of them tested and compatible.

AMD relies on wifi and graphics manufactured by other vendors, the designer of the laptop must test them himself.

I have traveled across the universe and through the years to find Her.
Sometimes going all the way is just a start...

I'm selling some stuff!

Reply 6 of 6, by avatar_58

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I personally don't think this will affect us consumers at all for quite some time. Its going to be awhile yet before we see the competition spark up and the merger R&D taking effect. For now this is just 'on paper' since business will just go on as usual (intel + ati chips, nvidia + amd chips).

In the future however I don't know if this is going to be a good or bad thing. I hope to god neither graphic card company leaps ahead, because I want them to compete for my money and not just create shitty cards and force them onto me due to no viable competitive product ( *cough* Voodoo *cough*)