First post, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

http://forum.oldos.org/viewtopic.php?t=3565

You know if you installed Win32's you can play games for Win 9x. […]
Show full quote

You know if you installed Win32's you can play games for Win 9x.

I'm tested tihis:
FIFA 98
Moto Racer
GTA
Star Wars: Dark Forces II: Jedi Knight
Streets Of SimCity
Test Drive IV
Need For Speed II
Age Of Empires
Rally Championship
Doom 2 for Win95

All Works!

I'd always heard this but I never tried it myself.
Anyone know if it's true?

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 2 of 16, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I'm thinking that if they do indeed work in Windows 3.x that they are using GDI instead of DirectDraw.

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 3 of 16, by Snover

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

GTA and Doom 2 are both DOS-only games. The rest of them probably had a GDI fallback mode or only used DirectX for certain features, like, uh, sound. And right mouse button. 😉

Yes, it’s my fault.

Reply 4 of 16, by Wintermute

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

The original Doom 2: Yes.
But the list clearly states: Doom 2 for Win95

Both Doom 2 and GTA have Windows 95 ports, so the claim is valid.

You can even download the Windows version of GTA from the developer's webpage, since it is Freeware nowadays:
http://www.rockstargames.com/classics/gta.html

Reply 7 of 16, by Snover

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I know they re-released GTA for Windows in 2003 -- that's the freeware version. My memory told me that there was never a Windows port released until then, but my memory, apparently, was wrong -- there was some gtawin.bat that came with the original game. I'm still pretty sure that "Doom 2 for Win 95" was just Doom 2 with a PIF, though.

Yes, it’s my fault.

Reply 8 of 16, by doomer

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Nope, doom 95 is not using a pif. I have Doom Collector's edition and it only features the windows 95 ports of all three games. The executable file is called "doom95.exe" and I can confirm that it is definitely not for dos.

Reply 9 of 16, by abyss

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

The newest computer game that i still play is need for speed high stakes. The game was made in 1999. need for speed high stakes runs perfectly on my xp. I am just wondering if need for speed highstakes runs on win 3.1x with win 32 and win g both installed.I know you don't know jack will run on win 3.1x if you have win g installed and the instruction book even says you need win g to run the game on win 3.1x

I just added a bunch of games to the win 3.1x and win 3.0 compaibility list with dosbox. My 500 mhz computer is running nicely. I have followed the instructions to run win 3.1x.

Reply 10 of 16, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Snover wrote:

I know they re-released GTA for Windows in 2003 -- that's the freeware version. My memory told me that there was never a Windows port released until then, but my memory, apparently, was wrong -- there was some gtawin.bat that came with the original game. I'm still pretty sure that "Doom 2 for Win 95" was just Doom 2 with a PIF, though.

GTA always shipped with a Windows version on the same disc in 97. Doom "for windows 95" is the horrible port by WildTangent released in 1996.

apsosig.png
long live PCem

Reply 11 of 16, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

Star Wars: Dark Forces II: Jedi Knight

I highly doubt that one works. I'll take a look though soonish 😀

Windows 3.1x guide for DOSBox
60 seconds guide to DOSBox
DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper

Reply 12 of 16, by abyss

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I can get need for speed high stakes running perfectly on xp but i am just wondering if the game will run with win 32 and win g both installed. You don't know jack only runs on win 3.1x with win g. I am just wondering if the game will run with win g and win 32 both installd on win 3.1x

Reply 15 of 16, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

abyss, if you wonder, why don't you try instead of asking the same question twice?
But beware there might be a virus or a trojan hidden somewhere 😀

DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper

Reply 16 of 16, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

Just took a look at Jedi Knight. Setup refuses to run on this Windows version, Jedi.exe itself (just started it for fun) asks for comctl32.dll and dies. If someone pays me enough money I'd try to instal it on my XP and then run the mounted installed folder with Dosbox...