VOGONS

Common searches

Reply 22 of 32, by Lobivopsis

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Snover wrote:

Whoo, lots of bits of information in this thread to keep you busy for a while.
Fluid soundfont is probably the ultimate SoundFont, but most cards won't load it without a special dynamic bank loader because it is really big. (I use SB Dyn!, since MegaFont, which seems to be recommended, always error'd out on my computer.) Supposedly the Audigy 2 has built-in dynamic bank loading and stuff, but I tried it with the pseudo-UDA drivers that Creative has released and it didn't work.

Live or Audigy will load it just fine, provided you have enough RAM (I have a gig so it's no problem)

Yamaha's softsynth sounds almost exactly like a DB50XG(the newer versions do anyway), unlike VSC which hardly sounds like a real SCC-1.

Reply 23 of 32, by HunterZ

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I have 512MB of RAM and WinXP SP1a, and when I would try to load Fluid 2 into the Creative SoundFont Bank Manager for my SB Live X-Gamer it would cause a Blue Screen of Death. I just upgraded to an Audigy 2 and haven't tried it yet on this card yet though.

I've also uninstalled SBDyn because I never got it to work correctly.

Reply 24 of 32, by Snover

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Lobivopsis wrote:

Live or Audigy will load it just fine, provided you have enough RAM (I have a gig so it's no problem)

That's a lie. Actually try it and you'll see, heh.

Yes, it’s my fault.

Reply 26 of 32, by Lobivopsis

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Snover wrote:

That's a lie. Actually try it and you'll see, heh.

For some reason I thought you were talking about Utopia (I thought it was odd that somone wouldn't be able to load a 32 meg bank)

My experience with soundfonts was short lived. When my old DB50XG died I got rid of the Vortex card it was riding on and got an SB-Live. I soon found out that this card's MIDI was highly overrated as even the biggest soundfonts didn't come close to the quality of my old DB50XG with it's 4 meg ROM.

Finally got sick of it and just got an MU128.

Reply 27 of 32, by Lobivopsis

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
collector wrote:

There is the Roland Virtual Sound Canvas. Google turnd up this page:
http://www.pgmusic.com/rolandvs.htm They have it for only .

But it doesn't match the quality of a real SCC-1.

http://www.yamaha.co.uk/xg/html/h_featur.htm

This is the best softsynth IMHO, it sounds exactly like a DB50XG (it actually uses the DB50XG ROM samples), I believe it even has the GS mode as well (all XG devices have have a GS mode that is compatible with Roland sysex)

Last edited by Lobivopsis on 2003-10-03, 06:35. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 29 of 32, by robertmo

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Snover wrote:

"Oh, and the Microsoft GS Wavetable Synth is pretty much considered the best as far as software MIDI emulation is concerned, mostly because it emulates a Roland SoundCanvas, which I think has been discussed above."

Microsoft GS Wavetable Synth is not good at all. It doesn't emulate Roland SoundCanvas. You can check this running Dune2 with sound canvas setting in setup. The music is ok but sounds (shooting, landing, etc.) are completely wrong instruments.

I have got hardware yamaha xg724 and it has the same problem (wrong sounds).

Yamaha SoftSynthesizer S-YXG50 Ver.4.01.12 WDM works fine. Both sound and music are good. The music is also of the same quality as in the hardware yamaha xg724 (i suppose xg744 and xg754 too)

Roland Virtual Sound Canvas 3.2 works fine too. Though you have to lower it's response time (in setup -> performance, 90mSec is fine for me) in orther not to get delayed sound and music.

S-YXG50 has way better drums than VSC. Check stalker.mid from Duke Nukem 3D.

VSC seems not to have as good quality as SCC-1 but i think that might be cause it is based on 2MB wavetable and SCC-1 is based on 3-4MB

As a conclusion I would like to say that we already have 2 good programs to chose from for General MIDI and Sound Canvas emulation and we only need continuous developement of MT-32 emulation.

Reply 30 of 32, by zaphod77

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Okay here is how you can get XG on your XPPC. yamaha's site is long dead. but there si still awa y.

XP Softsynth on XP HOWTO
(or how the hell do i get this working when yamaha webside for xg is
down?)

Okay first you must download this file

http://ftp.guillemot.com/sound/exe/YAMAHA/YamahaXG50_XP.exe

Got it? good.

Now you must open this file in winzip or another zip extractor
(winzip is guaranteed to do it, and is free to evaluate)

Extract all the files.

Now you must open DFL.JLB in notepad. I know weird filename. They
were hoping you wouldn't know it was a text file. 😀

look and see if your soundcard is mentioned in it. if so you are good
to go. If not you will have to futz around with this file.

First add "|Your Card here" to the end of the line starting with "List="

Now you have to fetch your pci id.

Open device manager, and go to your soundcard properties.

Click details, and select "Hardware IDs". You will find 4 lines or so.

You want the one that says something like

PCI\VEN_1102&DEV_0002&SUBSYS_80641102
^^^^ ^^^^ ^^^^^^^^

Note the 3 hex numbers there. 4, 4, and 8 digits. these will be used to
make your device id.

After all the other cards in the file, add

Your Card Here = 0x1102_0x0002_0x80641102
^^^^ ^^^^ ^^^^^^^^

replace these with the ones from your device properties window.

save the file, and run the install

Enter your serial number for your earlier version of SY50XG. (you DID
have a serial number, right?)

Enjoy!

Reply 31 of 32, by seskanda

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Snover wrote:

Fluid soundfont is probably the ultimate SoundFont, but most cards won't load it without a special dynamic bank loader because it is really big. (I use SB Dyn!, since MegaFont, which seems to be recommended, always error'd out on my computer.) Supposedly the Audigy 2 has built-in dynamic bank loading and stuff, but I tried it with the pseudo-UDA drivers that Creative has released and it didn't work.

For stuff to use the SB Dyn! by default you'll need to set the program to run at startup and also you'll need to set it as the 'preferred' MIDI player.

I tried that link for SB Dyn!, but it doesn't work...i google'd it, too, yet NO luck. Would anyone know where else i could find it? Thanks in advance!