Bought these games today

Topic actions

Reply 1300 of 1908, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

No pics, but nice games 😊

I got another copy of RTW Gold Edition (this game I find really great, so an extra copy for €1 or so I won't pass up) and another copy of RTW Alexander, which is only the second copy I ever found here in the wild, a 3-pack containing RTW, Medieval TW Gold and Shogun TW Gold, ETW+NTW GotY Edition, MTW Gold Edition which is twice as thick. I'm especially happy with the second copy for Alexander 😀

Also gotten another copy of Risk II and a gamble, Imperium Romanum. I heard of this game but no idea if it's anything worthwhile.

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!

Reply 1301 of 1908, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Adding some DVD case games to the collection, these are titles I've given up on finding big-boxed for a reasonable price.

1999-2000_Games.jpg

Retronautics: A digital gallery of my retro computers, hardware and projects.

Reply 1302 of 1908, by TheAbandonwareGuy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
appiah4 wrote:
Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman wrote:

Never played SimCity 2000. Is plumbing the most difficult part of the gamed? Read about it in an issue of CGW.

I feel for you. You have missed out on something incredibly special. Sim City 2000 is, to me, a perfect balance of approachability and micromanagement depth. It is inclredibly fun and addictive, and walks an incredibly fine line of being self-serious and humorously charming. Best game Maxis made IMO, and they made some amazing games. Do buy it without a doubt.

Semi necroing the subject back to Simcity 2000.

That game is something special. I remember playing it when i was 11. Now thats not too odd, thing is I was 11 in 2011 when this game was already 15 years old. I was playing on my old single core Athlon 64 I had at the time and let me tell you i played for hours at a time. Few games from that era can still capture me like that because as much as I hate to admit it I'm a graphics whore. I can only enjoy early 3D graphics because I'm a history buff, the retro thing amuses me and apeals to the same side of me that drives 60 miles to go to a drive in theater.

Thats not a game, it's artwork. A masterpiece.

Cyb3rst0rms Retro Hardware Warzone: https://discord.gg/jK8uvR4c
I used to own over 160 graphics card, I've since recovered from graphics card addiction

Reply 1303 of 1908, by svfn

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

i love this game! hope to find the US version someday, this is the German version, happy to find it sealed and lucky customs did not mess with it.

still play it on a Windows 10 PC 😊

4Ho1l4C.jpg

Last edited by svfn on 2018-04-29, 13:34. Edited 1 time in total.

SS7: K6-2/350 | FIC PA-2013 2.1 | 32MB PC-100 | 3dfx V3 2000 AGP | AWE64 CT4520 | Win98SE
On MobyGames

Reply 1305 of 1908, by Synthoridity

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Recent stuff I got (all in one image to save space):

18-04-09 - games.jpg
Filename
18-04-09 - games.jpg
File size
544.59 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

* Spear of Destiny Super CD Pack - This copy had two Game Creator pamphlets with it for some reason. The topmost manual came with this box. The manual underneath that one is an extra copy I got that was included with a mail-ordered cheat card from FormGen, and possibly came from a floppy version. The ink on the cover of the topmost (Super CD) manual is lighter than the other manual (the blues are paler/less intense, for example), despite their contents being the same. Perhaps the difference is simply a printing variation.

I learned from a thread on the DieHard Wolfers forum that the Super CD version of Mission 3 has some minor differences from the Xplosiv release of Wolf3D I also have. For example, there are some different textures on the final map; the Activision/Xplosiv version uses DOOM (placeholder?) textures.

* Quake and The Ultimate DOOM Compilation - Oversized GT Interactive big box. The DOOM logo and Cyberdemon are embossed, and the Quake logo and game screenshots are gloss-printed. Some releases of this compilation came with a US jewel case version of Malice sealed under the shrink wrap (though Malice can also be purchased separately).

* Hexen II and Hexen II Mission Pack: Portal of Prævus - Both boxes are embossed. One of the more confusing games I've played; I had to check an online walkthrough more than once to figure out some of the puzzles. I still like it, though.

* Heretic II - Apparently, only the US version of this game's box is embossed, so I chose that one instead of the Australian version. The enhancement pack patch allows quick switching between third-person and pseudo first-person views, which is a nice feature to have.

Reply 1306 of 1908, by bjwil1991

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Sound Card bundle (games as well):

vtxxtEbl.jpg

SimCity 3000 Unlimited and NFS 2 SE:
rFdvHJsl.jpg

Discord: https://discord.gg/U5dJw7x
Systems from the Compaq Portable 1 to Ryzen 9 5950X
Twitch: https://twitch.tv/retropcuser

Reply 1307 of 1908, by Synthoridity

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Chasm: The Rift. Brand new for AU $49.95 (guess I was too late for that sale price of $12.95). 🤣 Chasm has a very primitive engine, but the game is nostalgic to me. I used to play a demo that I found on an old shovelware disc.

sealed chasm - the rift unboxing 1 (sealed).jpg
Filename
sealed chasm - the rift unboxing 1 (sealed).jpg
File size
403.73 KiB
Views
File license

Although the cover artwork is a little cheesy, Chasm's box is pretty nice. It comes in a two-piece format with an external slipcase (albeit a very thin one; it relies on the internal box for support). Inside is a jewel case, a manual, and a registration card.

sealed chasm - the rift unboxing 3.jpg
Filename
sealed chasm - the rift unboxing 3.jpg
File size
546.51 KiB
Views
File license

The price sticker is on the shrink wrap. There are also some other stickers attached directly: OFLC rating and Hilad Corporation label on the slipcase, and "LEVEL EDITOR INCLUDED" label on the two-piece box.

Additional photos: https://www.dropbox.com/sh/oocu690reetwb3x/AA … 7CYDIbvmta?dl=0

Reply 1308 of 1908, by xjas

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Got this amazingly pink package in the post today. What is it with me & pink stuff lately? Anyway, what could it be??

1.jpg
Filename
1.jpg
File size
211.81 KiB
Views
File license

Oh, HELL yes.

2.jpg
Filename
2.jpg
File size
223.75 KiB
Views
File license

I've wanted to play this - well, I didn't even know about this sequel until I got my Xbox a few weeks ago, but I wanted to play the original Saturn game in this series forever. I ended up selling my Saturn a while ago because I couldn't find any games I liked for it without forking over big money, but always kinda regretted I never got to play Panzer Dragoon on it. Well, not only do I have a whole new game here, but a port of the full Saturn original is also on the disc. Awesome!

Incidentally I make no apologies for putting the nuclear green Xbox case on the '90s-hot-pink bubble mailer. Suck up the color clash. Bask in it.

3.jpg
Filename
3.jpg
File size
333.73 KiB
Views
File license
4.jpg
Filename
4.jpg
File size
154.34 KiB
Views
File license

^^ thankfully besides the sticker residue on the outside (which I absolutely will be removing!) it's in great shape. The super-clean disc shouldn't cause any problems for my flaky Thompson DVD drive either.

5.jpg
Filename
5.jpg
File size
193.92 KiB
Views
File license

I did get a laugh at how the English manual is a nice glossy print and the French version is a cheap photocopy. This came from Quebec BTW.

That's it for now. Off to ride mah Drago(o)n.

twitch.tv/oldskooljay - playing the obscure, forgotten & weird - most Tuesdays & Thursdays @ 6:30 PM PDT. Bonus streams elsewhen!

Reply 1309 of 1908, by DracoNihil

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
bjwil1991 wrote:
Sound Card bundle (games as well): https://i.imgur.com/vtxxtEbl.jpg […]
Show full quote

Sound Card bundle (games as well):
vtxxtEbl.jpg

Ugh I hate that particular bundle. OEM copies with Creative cards are the worst, especially the copy of UT99 in particular.

Well good thing ut436nodelta exists.

“I am the dragon without a name…”
― Κυνικός Δράκων

Reply 1310 of 1908, by bjwil1991

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Got these big box games today on my thrifting adventures:

Ominous Horizons - A Paladin's Calling
Babylon 5 Arcade Series Entertainment Utility Shadow Wars (hologram on the cover)

20180418_202454_1.jpg

So...

nZwxflC.png

Full res gallery: https://imgur.com/gallery/XJ9p2

Discord: https://discord.gg/U5dJw7x
Systems from the Compaq Portable 1 to Ryzen 9 5950X
Twitch: https://twitch.tv/retropcuser

Reply 1311 of 1908, by Synthoridity

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

All the Diablos (minus Diablo III). 😀 The Battle Chest is a re-release (discs come in sleeves instead of jewel cases, the rating sticker is ACB instead of OFLC, and the box itself is smaller) of the old version (contains Diablo 1) of the wide box version (box is landscape-oriented instead of portrait-oriented), and was sealed and unused. The copyright date on the Battle Chest box is 2000-2001, while the copyright date printed inside the Diablo II manual is 2000-2002. The dates in the included product catalog suggest that this particular copy of the Battle Chest was released in 2007.

The price sticker on the Battle Chest's shrink wrap says "08/11 $ 57.99". I paid AU $35 for it.

18-04-20 - diablo games.JPG
Filename
18-04-20 - diablo games.JPG
File size
1.03 MiB
Views
File license

Battle Chest unboxing pictures:
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/8ix10exar8ir04k/AA … -XWsXIfGQa?dl=0

Last edited by Synthoridity on 2018-05-03, 15:15. Edited 2 times in total.

Reply 1312 of 1908, by KCompRoom2000

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

These are the games I bought on my most recent thrift store visit:

- Half Life (Game of the Year Edition)
- Tom Clancy's Rainbow Six + Mission Pack + Rogue Spear
- Tom Clancy's Splinter Cell: Pandora Tomorrow

IMG_1949.JPG
Filename
IMG_1949.JPG
File size
588.1 KiB
Views
File license

And yes, I'm carrying on xjas's tradition of including newly-bought blank tapes in the picture (although these are just Type I).

Reply 1313 of 1908, by DTBDeeRock

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

My first post in a great group that I’ve been learning from for awhile now. Thanks for all the help. Here’s my nice find. Got these all from a buddy.

Attachments

Reply 1315 of 1908, by TheAbandonwareGuy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
DTBDeeRock wrote:

My first post in a great group that I’ve been learning from for awhile now. Thanks for all the help. Here’s my nice find. Got these all from a buddy.

Knights of the Old Republic.

The quintessential Sci-Fi RPG. You could not ask for a finer game.

Cyb3rst0rms Retro Hardware Warzone: https://discord.gg/jK8uvR4c
I used to own over 160 graphics card, I've since recovered from graphics card addiction

Reply 1317 of 1908, by liqmat

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

So I ran across this today at a thrift store. Did this come with a collector's version of the game? I've never seen the OST of Red Alert before so I thought I'd see if anyone knew here.

front.JPG
Filename
front.JPG
File size
1 MiB
Views
File license
open.JPG
Filename
open.JPG
File size
1.02 MiB
Views
File license
back.JPG
Filename
back.JPG
File size
985.23 KiB
Views
File license

Reply 1318 of 1908, by xjas

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

^^ Cool, I found that same album at a thrift store too. There must be a fair few of them floating around.

twitch.tv/oldskooljay - playing the obscure, forgotten & weird - most Tuesdays & Thursdays @ 6:30 PM PDT. Bonus streams elsewhen!

Reply 1319 of 1908, by liqmat

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
xjas wrote:

^^ Cool, I found that same album at a thrift store too. There must be a fair few of them floating around.

I figured as much, but first time I've come across one. I was just wondering if it was part of a larger collector's version or some kind of promo from Westwood. When I first saw it I thought it was some bootleg disc because of the way the disc label graphics looked, but the back jewel case graphics are all professional with the Westwood logo and copyright info.