Topic actions

Reply 1261 of 1908, by TimMer1981

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
lolo799 wrote:
TimMer1981 wrote:

Loads of those on eBay, just search for "joystick adb". 😀

Just got a Gravis Firebird, that will do the trick nicely.

Very nice. 😀

"I will take your bones, still alive and in great pain, and make them into a chair. I will call it "My Screaming Chair". Every morning I will sit in it and listen to you scream. Any questions?"

Reply 1263 of 1908, by Munx

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
P_20180121_111245[1].jpg
Filename
P_20180121_111245[1].jpg
File size
595.75 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

They might be re-releases, but for a Euro each I gladly grabbed them. Now if only I could get a hold of an NV1 card to go with the games... 😵

My builds!
The FireStarter 2.0 - The wooden K5
The Underdog - The budget K6
The Voodoo powerhouse - The power-hungry K7
The troll PC - The Socket 423 Pentium 4

Reply 1264 of 1908, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Received a package I had been waiting for a while now..

FR_Archives_Ultima_8_Wing_Commander_3.jpg

As a bonus the FR Archives collection came with a free copy of Descent to Undermountain and manual, woot.

Unfortunately the boxes smell of cigarette smoke and the manuals have nicotine yellowing - anyone know of the easiest way to remove this discoloring and odour?

Retronautics: A digital gallery of my retro computers, hardware and projects.

Reply 1265 of 1908, by gravitone

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Munx wrote:
P_20180121_111245[1].jpg

They might be re-releases, but for a Euro each I gladly grabbed them. Now if only I could get a hold of an NV1 card to go with the games... 😵

These versions of the games only make use of software rendering and do not support the NV1.

Reply 1266 of 1908, by JidaiGeki

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
appiah4 wrote:
Received a package I had been waiting for a while now.. […]
Show full quote

Received a package I had been waiting for a while now..

FR_Archives_Ultima_8_Wing_Commander_3.jpg

As a bonus the FR Archives collection came with a free copy of Descent to Undermountain and manual, woot.

Unfortunately the boxes smell of cigarette smoke and the manuals have nicotine yellowing - anyone know of the easiest way to remove this discoloring and odour?

The odour might dissipate somewhat if left out to air, I've had some good success with one game box just doing this. You could also wipe down any laminated surfaces on the manuals and box with wet wipes, and dust it out generally. It might not go completely but the smell is always worse if the game and contents are kept confined I find.

Reply 1267 of 1908, by KCompRoom2000

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I managed to grab a copy of Crusader: No Remorse for $2 at Goodwill.

IMG_1777.JPG
Filename
IMG_1777.JPG
File size
1.49 MiB
Views
File license

Reply 1268 of 1908, by clueless1

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
KCompRoom2000 wrote:

I managed to grab a copy of Crusader: No Remorse for $2 at Goodwill.

IMG_1777.JPG

Awesome. I'm playing that right now, on level 15. Should finish it today 😀 Enjoy!

The more I learn, the more I realize how much I don't know.
OPL3 FM vs. Roland MT-32 vs. General MIDI DOS Game Comparison
Let's benchmark our systems with cache disabled
DOS PCI Graphics Card Benchmarks

Reply 1270 of 1908, by Synthoridity

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

FormGen's retail release of Monster Bash (v2.1). Seems to be hard to find. The only other copies I've seen listed for sale are in the $150 range (on Amazon. I got it for much less than that.)

The FormGen Monster Bash installer is awful. I could not get it to work in DOSBox no matter what -freesize values I tried. The installer always shows the available disk space remaining as 0 or a negative number. The game can however be manually copied from the CD to the hard drive.

formgen monster bash jewel case.jpg
Filename
File size
653.4 KiB
Views
File license
formgen monster bash jewel case opened.jpg
Filename
File size
571.86 KiB
Views
File license

Here are some other FormGen releases I got. These are the jewel case versions, which were never released in boxes AFAIK. There are however boxed FormGen releases of these Apogee games, but I think the CDs in the big box versions just come in sleeves. I don't think FormGen ever made a big box version of Monster Bash, though.

formgen and wizardworks jewel cases - bstone-dn2-hp-planet 1.JPG
Filename
File size
1.02 MiB
Views
File license

Some rambling about manuals:

Note that the WizardWorks copies of Duke II, Hocus Pocus, and Planet Strike pictured here contain full manuals (with black and white pages). Some WizardWorks copies actually lack the manuals and instead contain a generic order form for random shovelware, like the pictured WizardWorks Blake Stone. I don't know if there's a WizardWorks "manual variant" of Blake Stone (I haven't found/seen one yet) [Edit: A WizardWorks Blake Stone with a manual does exist, and as of August 21, 2018, I own a copy of it. The manual does not contain the comic story]. It can be difficult to tell from listings if a specific copy is the version with an order form, or the version with a manual, if the seller doesn't include enough photos. For WizardWorks Duke II and Hocus Pocus, I specifically chose to get the versions with manuals, while with Planet Strike I just took a crapshoot and got lucky (assuming there are WizardWorks copies of Planet Strike that don't contain the manual).

The original FormGen jewel cases (with "FULL VERSION" on the covers) on the other hand never had variants that contained manuals AFAIK.

Last edited by Synthoridity on 2018-08-21, 07:03. Edited 4 times in total.

Reply 1271 of 1908, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Picked up this for 0.99 + shipping.. The base game was one of the games I played a bunch way back in the day... Absolutely hate the super long flight times though.. but I just had to get it.

falcon gold.jpg
Filename
falcon gold.jpg
File size
377.82 KiB
Views
File license

Yamaha modified setupds and drivers
Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 1272 of 1908, by TimMer1981

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Synthoridity wrote:
FormGen's retail release of Monster Bash (v2.1). Seems to be hard to find. The only other copies I've seen listed for sale are […]
Show full quote

FormGen's retail release of Monster Bash (v2.1). Seems to be hard to find. The only other copies I've seen listed for sale are in the $150 range (on Amazon. I got it for much less than that.)

The FormGen Monster Bash installer is awful. I could not get it to work in DOSBox no matter what -freesize values I tried. The installer always shows the available disk space remaining as 0 or a negative number. The game can however be manually copied from the CD to the hard drive.

Here are some other FormGen releases I got. These are the jewel case versions, which were never released in boxes AFAIK. There are however boxed FormGen releases of these Apogee games, but I think the CDs in the big box versions just come in sleeves. I don't think FormGen ever made a big box version of Monster Bash, though.

Awesome! 😁

"I will take your bones, still alive and in great pain, and make them into a chair. I will call it "My Screaming Chair". Every morning I will sit in it and listen to you scream. Any questions?"

Reply 1273 of 1908, by blurks

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Synthoridity wrote:

No big box release to my knowledge either but there was a shareware release in a (smaller) box, similar to those depicted below, which I have in my collection. It is pretty damn hard to find one of these in an acceptable condition though...

Attachments

• IMG_8837.JPG
    Filename
    IMG_8837.JPG
    File size
    379.9 KiB
    Views
    File comment
    Zone 66 & Overkill
    File license
  • 149284-monster-bash-dos-front-cover.jpg
    Filename
    149284-monster-bash-dos-front-cover.jpg
    File size
    99.88 KiB
    Views
    File comment
    Monster Bash Shareware
    File license

Reply 1274 of 1908, by Synthoridity

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

There is also a boxed full retail release of Monster Bash on floppies, distributed by Manaccom. The box cover has no artwork on it and instead simply depicts some game screenshots. I don't own it and have only seen photos of it once.

Reply 1275 of 1908, by blurks

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I just got a sealed copy of Broken Age for a very decent price. This is a point 'n click adventure in a beautiful artstyle with very nice dialogues and sparse but sweet humour. If I wasn't already in possession of a digital copy I would totally rip the shrink wrap apart and stick my nose in the box...

Attachments

• IMG_8854.JPG
    Filename
    IMG_8854.JPG
    File size
    201.42 KiB
    Views
    File license
  • IMG_8857.JPG
    Filename
    IMG_8857.JPG
    File size
    241.51 KiB
    Views
    File license

Reply 1276 of 1908, by xjas

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I just spent real, genuine, dollars on a physical copy of Bejeweled 2.

ogodwhy1.jpg
Filename
ogodwhy1.jpg
File size
184.08 KiB
Views
File license

WTF! Why on earth would I do such a thing??

ohgodwhy2.jpg
Filename
ohgodwhy2.jpg
File size
226.36 KiB
Views
File license

^^ That's why. 😀 A CD full of well-mastered tracker music from one of my favorite demoscene artists? Yes please!

And yes, I know I can download the IT files off his website (did that long ago!) but a real disc is nice to have. It went straight in my car CD changer for the drive home. Two whole bucks well spent!

I don't hate the game either, although it's not one of my regular go-to time wasters.

twitch.tv/oldskooljay - playing the obscure, forgotten & weird - most Tuesdays & Thursdays @ 6:30 PM PDT. Bonus streams elsewhen!

Reply 1277 of 1908, by xjas

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

More thriftshopping! Scored Unreal Tournament for Mac OS8/9 for $1.50. To be honest, I'm not even sure why I bought this since I'm trying to sell my only OS9-capable machine. But it goes with the original Unreal that I already had.

ut1.jpg
Filename
ut1.jpg
File size
269.39 KiB
Views
File license
ut2.jpg
Filename
ut2.jpg
File size
277.06 KiB
Views
File license
ut3.jpg
Filename
ut3.jpg
File size
312.75 KiB
Views
File license

twitch.tv/oldskooljay - playing the obscure, forgotten & weird - most Tuesdays & Thursdays @ 6:30 PM PDT. Bonus streams elsewhen!

Reply 1278 of 1908, by Synthoridity

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Got more Duke stuff: Kill-A-Ton Collection, Duke 3D with mouse pad + Plutonium PAK (all are US versions), and Duke 3D compilation by Replay (UK; I got this for the Caribbean add-on which was too expensive on its own).

The Atomic Edition big box is a game I bought previously and already posted here, but I included it in this picture for the sake of completeness and size comparison (it is the same size as the Duke 3D box, which is larger than the Plutonium box, which is larger than the Replay box).

Although it's nearly impossible to tell from the photo, the Kill-A-Ton and Duke 3D boxes feature embossed detailing and have metallic gold logos. The Plutonium box has a unique texture and seems to be made from recycled newspaper.

18-02-12 - duke 3d 2160x1080.jpg
Filename
18-02-12 - duke 3d 2160x1080.jpg
File size
1.73 MiB
Views
File license

Reply 1279 of 1908, by Synthoridity

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Limited Edition (not to be confused with the other "Collector's Edition") big box release of Star Trek: Voyager - Elite Force.

The game and bag are packaged in a single oversized box that's divided into two sections.

sealed elite force au big box.jpg
Filename
sealed elite force au big box.jpg
File size
111.62 KiB
Views
File license
sealed elite force au unboxing 9.jpg
Filename
sealed elite force au unboxing 9.jpg
File size