VOGONS

Common searches

Bought these games today

Topic actions

Reply 1800 of 1913, by theiceman085

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Sorry for the slighly offtopic. post. Was Prey 2006 ever available on Steam because of the rumor that it needs online activation? Have been looking for that game for quite some time but never found it on steam. Might be a regional thing or it was available many years ago? I had to with the xbox 360 version eventually. But I'd totally love to play it on the PC at some point in the future if I can snatch a used copy.

Reply 1801 of 1913, by Joseph_Joestar

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
theiceman085 wrote on 2023-05-19, 12:25:

Sorry for the slighly offtopic. post. Was Prey 2006 ever available on Steam because of the rumor that it needs online activation? Have been looking for that game for quite some time but never found it on steam. Might be a regional thing or it was available many years ago? I had to with the xbox 360 version eventually. But I'd totally love to play it on the PC at some point in the future if I can snatch a used copy.

From what I understand, there are legal issues which are currently preventing Prey (2006) from being sold digitally.

It may have been available on Steam at some point in the past though.

PC#1: Pentium MMX 166 / Soyo SY-5BT / S3 Trio64V+ / Voodoo1 / YMF719 / AWE64 Gold / SC-155
PC#2: AthlonXP 2100+ / ECS K7VTA3 / Voodoo3 / Audigy2 / Vortex2
PC#3: Athlon64 3400+ / Asus K8V-MX / 5900XT / Audigy2
PC#4: i5-3570K / MSI Z77A-G43 / GTX 970 / X-Fi

Reply 1802 of 1913, by theiceman085

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I see. Thanks for the info. Hope you are going to enjoy Prey Joseph_Joestar. It is fun and unsual FPS. I do not know how well it runs on the PC but the Xbox 360 version runs quite well via the emulation function of Xbox one S.

Reply 1803 of 1913, by RandomStranger

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

It was, but it doesn't need online activation, however all retail copies (as far as I know) can still be activated on Steam for an extra digital copy. That's how I got it:

Prey.jpg
Filename
Prey.jpg
File size
698.89 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

So it CAN be activated online, but it's 100% optional and the cover or manual doesn't even notify you about the possibility, so a lot of the used copies are still available for activation.

IMG_20230519_161035.jpg
Filename
IMG_20230519_161035.jpg
File size
886.57 KiB
Views
File license
IMG_20230519_161134.jpg
Filename
IMG_20230519_161134.jpg
File size
927.69 KiB
Views
File license

sreq.png retrogamer-s.png

Reply 1804 of 1913, by Meatball

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Prey was (is, technically) available on Steam; I have a copy activated in 2021. If you purchase a digital key (elsewhere), it can still be activated and added to your account.

Reply 1805 of 1913, by theiceman085

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

@RandomStranger and Meatball. I see. That's interesting. Never heard of that. In case I can snatch boxed copy I will try to activate it on steam as well to have digital copy as well. Maybe the previous owner did not know that as well and did not activitate it.

Reply 1806 of 1913, by theiceman085

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Just come back from the flea market in my town and got these games fairly cheap

It was a funny coincidence that I ran into a copy of Prey only 1 day after talking about the game in the thread. The previous owner did not know the Steam trick as well. So I could activate the Steam version as well. The Steam version is just the English version though and has no option for German subs like the boxed version has. But I would not consider that as a drawback.

Attachments

Reply 1807 of 1913, by BitWrangler

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Got these today, think they're all bundle versions, as you might guess from the Powercolor logo on the TR AOD case. Says 9600/9800 required, not sure how super strict that will be.

Attachments

• carmaodmsgnfsii.jpg
    Filename
    carmaodmsgnfsii.jpg
    File size
    219.19 KiB
    Views
    File comment
    Bundle games?
    File license
    Public domain

Unicorn herding operations are proceeding, but all the totes of hens teeth and barrels of rocking horse poop give them plenty of hiding spots.

Reply 1808 of 1913, by RandomStranger

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
BitWrangler wrote on 2023-06-09, 03:06:

Got these today, think they're all bundle versions, as you might guess from the Powercolor logo on the TR AOD case. Says 9600/9800 required, not sure how super strict that will be.

Back then I got it as magazine bundleware and it ran well with a 9600 Pro. The bigger problem is, that it was a buggy mess. Most bugs were ironed out by the time I played it, but still had audio issues. Dialogues played as if they were sped up. Also, it plays very differently than entries before and after. I didn't get very far with that game. It was a boring semi-open/hubworld stuff like a lot of games back then. To be frank, a buggy mess in a (semi-)open world environment, deviating from previous entries to "modernize" gameplay, this game could release today and it wouldn't be an outlier. In a (bad) way, it was 20 years ahead of its time.

Reply 1809 of 1913, by ilmazzo

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi there!

Some new entries in my collection....

gio2.jpg
gio1.jpg
comet.jpg
5.jpg

Also I'm slowly collecting old releases of The Games Machine (italian version, not the original UK) and this one is soooo cool

tgm.jpg

Cheers!

Reply 1811 of 1913, by Demetrio

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Got System Shock 2

IMG_20230610_090643.jpg
Filename
IMG_20230610_090643.jpg
File size
356.85 KiB
Views
File comment
System Shock 2
File license
CC-BY-4.0

And this one for nostalgia 😁

IMG_20230610_090716.jpg
Filename
IMG_20230610_090716.jpg
File size
321.39 KiB
Views
File comment
Rayman M
File license
CC-BY-4.0

Reply 1812 of 1913, by Sombrero

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
MI2.JPG
Filename
MI2.JPG
File size
399.2 KiB
Views
File license
CC-BY-4.0

Monkey Island 2: LeChuck's Revenge

I find it impossible to make any kind of absolute top lists of things I like, but if you were to put a gun to my head and force me to pick my all time favorite game this is the one I might choose. This has been the big box game I've wanted the most for years now and I had already accepted the fact that I might not ever find this for a price that doesn't send me to live in the cardboard box it was shipped in, but here it finally is. In impeccable condition, even the disks work!

Reply 1813 of 1913, by ilmazzo

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Sombrero wrote on 2023-06-13, 11:10:

MI2.JPG

Monkey Island 2: LeChuck's Revenge

I find it impossible to make any kind of absolute top lists of things I like, but if you were to put a gun to my head and force me to pick my all time favorite game this is the one I might choose. This has been the big box game I've wanted the most for years now and I had already accepted the fact that I might not ever find this for a price that doesn't send me to live in the cardboard box it was shipped in, but here it finally is. In impeccable condition, even the disks work!

Yeah great find!

Monkey island series is one of the most sought so prices are crazy. I would myself get it sometime but my priority list is mostly on other genres so.....just out of curiosity, would you share how much that costed to you?

Reply 1814 of 1913, by Sombrero

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
ilmazzo wrote on 2023-06-14, 08:07:

Yeah great find!

Monkey island series is one of the most sought so prices are crazy. I would myself get it sometime but my priority list is mostly on other genres so.....just out of curiosity, would you share how much that costed to you?

118€. My limit was at 120€ 😅

Not exactly cheap and the most expensive game I've ever bought, but still cheap compared to the ones that have sold on eBay for $200-300.

Reply 1815 of 1913, by ilmazzo

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

So english version?

Italian version are waaaaaaaaay over that......because essentially in the 90s there was a pirated ratio of 1:10 so original games where very rare or at least this is my assumption. MI1 or MI2 are well over 500€

For example I had been extremely lucky to find a complete italian floppy version of Alone in the dark (one of my ever favorite boxes I have) two years ago for 190€ (on ebay!!!!) while everywhere I could see people asking 400€ for not complete versions!!! crazy 🤣 this means that my copy can be 500+€? 🤣

Reply 1816 of 1913, by Sombrero

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
ilmazzo wrote on 2023-06-14, 12:19:

So english version?

Italian version are waaaaaaaaay over that......because essentially in the 90s there was a pirated ratio of 1:10 so original games where very rare or at least this is my assumption. MI1 or MI2 are well over 500€

For example I had been extremely lucky to find a complete italian floppy version of Alone in the dark (one of my ever favorite boxes I have) two years ago for 190€ (on ebay!!!!) while everywhere I could see people asking 400€ for not complete versions!!! crazy 🤣 this means that my copy can be 500+€? 🤣

Yes, English version.

Funny you should say that, even as an european myself all those central european localized games are a huge pain in my butt. I constantly find half-free German version for games I'm looking for while English versions cost an arm and a leg. But I don't even remember seeing Italian versions, I guess they then are as rare as you say.

Reply 1817 of 1913, by ilmazzo

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Before brexit I found that boxed games in Uk where a heaven for purchasing on ebay....lot of stuff with low initial biddings and you could find a lot of deals without so much effort....but yeah it always depends of what we are talking about but usually I found them to be reasonable priced, Germany is the cheapest as far as I can tell and with good selection, french are very expensive too like italians and have a smaller selection of titles....I don't care anyway since I just buy italian or english copies of the games I want.

Reply 1818 of 1913, by Sombrero

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
ilmazzo wrote on 2023-06-14, 14:10:

Before brexit I found that boxed games in Uk where a heaven for purchasing on ebay....lot of stuff with low initial biddings and you could find a lot of deals without so much effort.

Yep, I bought 95% of my big box games from UK, before brexit.

Now with the taxes and shipping fees, especially when the seller uses eBays Global Shipping Program, there's just no point buying from there anymore. Just as well could buy from US.

Reply 1819 of 1913, by RandomStranger

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Threw up a listing on a local trading site about looking for certain games. I almost got half of them for a reasonable price.

IMG_20230614_171628.jpg
Filename
IMG_20230614_171628.jpg
File size
1.29 MiB
Views
File license
CC-BY-4.0

Republic Commando: With manual and only minor scratches on the discs.
Sim City 4: With manual and the discs are almost like new. Now I only need the Rush Hour expansion.
Age of Empires: I bought this separately for a couple of cents only because it was cheap. Something like 0.5€.
Tomb Raider: Anniversary: With manual. Now I have the full good reboot trilogy both on PC and Xbox 360.
Oblivion: Knights of the Nine: It only has a single sheet manual. Still need the Shivering Isles.

Sly Cooper: Thieves in Time: Not the most popular in the series, but became fairly rare and expensive here in Europe. Especially the PS3 version.
Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance: Also became uncommon and pricy for PS3. For whatever reason the Xbox 360 version is very common and cheap.

ilmazzo wrote on 2023-06-14, 14:10:

Germany is the cheapest as far as I can tell and with good selection

Problem is, a lot of the games are german localized, at least the box and manual, in some cases you can't even change the language. Once I bought the german version of Fallout New Vegas Ultimate Edition and it was like that. No other language options other than German. Sometimes they are also altered/censored.