Your Top 5 all time classic games

Topic actions

First post, by F2bnp

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Here's mine:

1. Grim Fandango(Adventure by LucasArts released in 1998)

2. Fallout (Turn based RPG game released by Interplay back in 1997)

3. Broken Sword : The Shadow of the Templars (Adventure by Revolution Software released in 1996)

4. Little Big Adventure 2 (Action-Adventure,Adeline Software released in 1997)

5. X-COM Enemy Unknown (Microprose Turn Based Strategy released in 1993 or 1994)

Reply 1 of 30, by Mike 01Hawk

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

In no particular order

The 7th Guest (so many great memories of this game... from spotting it in stores when I was down in San Antonio for a HS Band Trip, to picking it up @ Babbage's at the local mall, to calling PC Brand to upgrade my 386 to a 486)

Doom (SHAREWARE!!!! Amazed they could stick all that on what was it.. 1 disk? When I SAW the imp THRU the grate at the end of the 1st level, I was like... holy crap!!! This blows away anything I've seen before on a console!!!!)

Monkey Island 2 (Atmosphere, mood, humor, music, insanely hard puzzles that I kept on bugging my PC friends the next day at school on how to solve)

Out of This World (MAINLY atmosphere, but also the lovely gameplay... also amazed it fit on 1 disk)

Wing Commander I/II (fond memories of calling up Origin support to have them walk me thru my Autoexec/Config setup so I could get the... get this.... the $20 SPEECH!!!! Add-on to work!!! SPEECH!! IN A GAME!!!! WAHOOO!!!!!!)

Dell Optiplex Gxpro: Built solely so I could re-live my SB16 days properly with newly acquired sound pieces: MT-32, SCB-55, and DB50xg 😀

Reply 4 of 30, by DOS_Boy

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

My classic collection, games that made my old 486 days sooooo happy:

- Alone in The Dark (1, 2 & 3);
- Duke Nukem (1, 2 & 3D);
- World Circuit (by Microprose);
- Ultima Series (1 to 8 & Underworld);
- Rise of the Triad;
- Corridor 7 (love this game!);

And many others...

"But listen to me brother, you just keep on walking, 'cause you and me and sister ain't got nothing to hide..." - Scatman John

Reply 6 of 30, by Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

This is a damn thougie.... Why oh why did you have to limit it to five... 😢

Ah well, in no particular order:

TIE Fighter by LucasArts.

Quest for Glory 2 by Sierra.

Total Air War by DID.

Star Control 2 by Accolade.

Sid Meier's Railroad Tycoon by Microprose.

Never thought this thread would be that long, but now, for something different.....
Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman.

Reply 10 of 30, by SysGOD

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

ok here are mine:

1. Frontier: First Encounter (my all-time favorite)

2. Total Annihilation

3. Battle Isle 2

4.Terminator: Future Shock & Skynet

5. Flight Unlimited (one of the best civilian flight simulators i've ever played)

sysprofile.png

Reply 12 of 30, by general_vagueness

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

please,

1. define classic
  2. console too? I know abyss posted some, but...

I'll post back quickly when I get an answer
and start that "List the console games you've beaten" thread if someone encourages me

You cannot fall off the floor.
If you look hard enough, you'll find something you don't like.

How to ask questions the smart way
How to become a hacker
How to answer smart-alec questions

Reply 13 of 30, by abyss

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Games 10 years or older are classics. What's wrong with console games. I got twacker, hardhat, and brickout from activision anthology and intellivision lives and they were never actually released for some reason. Xlm dr.harrision is like a more bomber manish chips challenge and we all know about strike base.

Reply 15 of 30, by tannerstevo

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I'm relatively new to pc gaming, so my most memorable games are for the consoles:

Legend of Zelda (nes) Used to go to bed at night and dream I was playing.

Chrono Trigger (snes) my favorite rpg of all time. (Earthbound is a close second).

Fear Effect (playstation) first game I ever played that had swearing. 😁

Tomb Raider 1: Playstation and later pc.

Tron 2.0, Not a classic by Abyss' definition, but it was the very first pc game I ever played, And I still enjoy it.

Reply 17 of 30, by general_vagueness

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I don't know about Strike Base, but I'm obviously younger than many of the people on here.

more than 5, some series, and I haven't played every game in each series, but I think that's my right
here they are in no particular order:

• the StarTropics series (which was just the first one and ST II: Zoda's Revenge, and if you've heard of a 3rd one I'd like to know)
  • the Mario Bros. series (at least the ones I've played, except possibly SMB 2)
  • the Zelda series
  • the Castlevania series (again except 2)
  • Rygar (original, haven't played the 3D sequel/remake)
  • the Doom series (of course)
  • Tetris
  • Illusion of Gaia (SNES, my first real RPG)

and honorable mentions for Puss 'n Boots, Mappy Land, Duck Hunt, Solitaire & Freecell (they were always there for me), Chip's Challenge, Jezzball, Donkey Kong Country, Star Wars for the Atari and this one where you piloted a plane, I think it was called River Raid, the Metroid series, and that game where you bounce the ball to get rid of blocks (the number of ripoffs does it credit). That is most of the games I've played, but I've been lucky enough to mostly play good games, and I tend to forget bad games.
oh, and soon enough Halo will qualify

Last edited by general_vagueness on 2007-12-07, 20:14. Edited 1 time in total.

You cannot fall off the floor.
If you look hard enough, you'll find something you don't like.

How to ask questions the smart way
How to become a hacker
How to answer smart-alec questions

Reply 18 of 30, by Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
general_vagueness wrote:

this one where you piloted a boat, I think it was called River Raid,

Actually it was an airplane. You cannot fly overland, though, as the airplane explodes when hitting the river bank.

general_vagueness wrote:

that game where you bounce the ball to get rid of blocks (the number of ripoffs does it credit).

The name is Breakout, which was introduced by Atari in 1976. I never played the game with my Atari though, but I remember playing a clone titled Block Buster in 286 PC.

Never thought this thread would be that long, but now, for something different.....
Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman.

Reply 19 of 30, by Hopeapaa

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Perhaps somebody watches these, and I start getting spam according to my preferences? Eh, only kidding 😜.

Undisputed #1: Monkey Island 2: Le Chuck's Revenge
-I just earlier this year completed this game for comparing musics with 4 different sound sources: Yamaha S-XG50, Munt MT-32 emulation, Roland VSC, Roland LAPC-I). That should tell all You need to know why this is number 1 (of course I played through the whole game with each sound source 😀 )

Very strong #2: Leisure Suit Larry 3: Passionate Patti in Pursuit of the Pulsating Pectorals
-I completed this one a couple of weeks ago with a fast pentium-class computer. If You know the timer-bug in this game, You should know why this is number 2, since I just didn't see any reason to patch the game (over 600 repeats for each machine in gym etc.) The music is good, and there's lots of it compared to Larry2 for example.

Quite strong #3: Doom (short name for a change)
-This is the first game that was so realistic, that it went to my dreams. I remember that I was running in some corridors after playing this game for a while after it was released back in the 90's even during nights and at sleep!

Sort of a #4: Quake
-Somehow I never got into playing Doom as multiplayer, but with this I was hooked for sure. It was amazing to get into one place with some bunch of friends with computers and start killing each other.

Sort of #5: Dune 2: The Building of an Empire
-Very addictive real-time "strategy" (more like an action game). Very good sound track, even with FM-synthesis. After this there were many lookalikes, but this was the best (even without features such as "grouping", "waypoints" etc.) There is only one "first love".