VOGONS

Common searches

Your Top 5 all time classic games

Topic actions

Reply 20 of 30, by garak0410

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Star Trek 25th Anniversary and Judgement Rites - Nothing came close to actually being in a classic Trek episode as these two games. Too bad soneone one finish Vulcan Fury.

Dungeon Master (Amiga) - It was my very first First Person game and the sounds and puzzles were amazing!

Space Quest Series - nuff said.

Under a Killing Moon - Very good story and atmosphere.

Reply 22 of 30, by general_vagueness

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I listed more than 5 and no one seems to have a problem with it, though it may be because some of them are those "best games", like Doom and SMB.

You cannot fall off the floor.
If you look hard enough, you'll find something you don't like.

How to ask questions the smart way
How to become a hacker
How to answer smart-alec questions

Reply 23 of 30, by Qbix

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

more likely it's because this is a forum filled with adults, who have better things to do then complain about the fact that you posted more then 5 games 😉

Water flows down the stream
How to ask questions the smart way!

Reply 24 of 30, by general_vagueness

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

could be that too 😉
but yeah, we don't really care that much how many games you list, as long as the list takes up less than a page
anyway, pduke001, did you ever play Illusion of Gaia (which is on my list)? is it as similar to Terranigma as I've heard?

How to become a hacker

Reply 25 of 30, by pduke001

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

anyway, pduke001, did you ever play Illusion of Gaia (which is on my list)? is it as similar to Terranigma as I've heard?

It's not only similar. It's part of the same series. 😁

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gaia_series

http://hg101.classicgaming.gamespy.com/quintet/quintet.htm

I got Illusion of Gaia when I was 10 or 11 years old. It came with a free t-shirt packed in. I LOVED IT. The artwork, plot, and dark mature atmosphere were unlike most any other game available on a Nintendo system in those days. It was simply awesome.

If you dig IoG you really can't go wrong with Terranigma, despite the fact that there's no actual plot/character continuity between the games (like Final Fantasy). I remember seeing it previewed in Nintendo Power back in the day and thinking "wow, that looks awesome." It's a shame it never saw the light of day in North America; even though the English translation is subpar (as most translated games of the day were), it hardly detracts from the exemplary game design. The moment you first leave the starting town and step out into the "over"world, and the phenomenal music sets in, you know you've got something special. Speaking of phenomenal music, Terranigma has what is quite possibly my favorite end credit sequence of all time. Nuff said.

I could go on gushing for a few more paragraphs but I won't. The game isn't quite as focused on plot and character devlopment as IoG was, but the plot really starts to pick up towards the end. I'll say it once more: if you like IoG, you really owe it to yourself to give Terranigma a whirl on your emulator of choice. 😉

Reply 26 of 30, by general_vagueness

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I've heard of it being part of a series and read their Wikipedia entries carefully, I was wondering how similar (in gameplay, sound, graphics, presentation, plot, etc., but mostly gameplay) they actually were; WP doesn't go into detail (and anyway I'd rather not have it spoiled for me, and now I have anyway because I read the whole plot of Soul Blazer and Terranigma). Aside from same publisher, developer, and engine, and the hidden boss in IoG and one Easter-egg line of dialog in Terranigma, they're not officially connected at all.
I've done a bunch of emulation before, I would go get the file now, but right now I'm working on beating Halo on legendary. 😎

How to become a hacker

Reply 27 of 30, by Xian97

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

There was already a thread for Top DOS Games
What's your best DOS games ?

Mine would probably be pretty much unchanged from what I posted there
System Shock
Ultima IV
Ultima Underworld
Magic Carpet

The 5th I would alter here from what I had on my DOS list since I played it on the Atari ST
Dungeon Master

Reply 28 of 30, by Amigaz

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

1. Wings (Amiga)
2. Pinball Dreams (Amiga)
3. Ikari Warriors (Sega Master system)
4. Monkey Island 1+2 (PC)
5. Indiana Jones & The Fate Of Atlantis
(6. Turrican 1 + 2 commodore 64)

My retro computer stuff: https://lychee.jjserver.net/#16136303902327

Reply 29 of 30, by Ryune

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

1. DOOM 2 - all the Doom series was good but this one hit the sweet spot for its day.

2. Steel Panthers - the sequel to this was technically better but the first game was a real jawdropper when it came out.

3. Duke Nukem 2 - The sound of the laser gun was fantastic.

4. Wolfenstein 3D - I bought my first shotgun after playing this with Soundblaster. What a rush.

5. Poker Party - (Win95 CD-ROM) Yeah, it was a strip poker game. But it was witty, the women looked good, and FullMotionVideo was all the rage in 1995. I wish I could get it to run on modern Windows systems.

Others - honorable mention: ElectroBody - would have made the list except level 3 was impossible. Firefight (Chaos Works flying saucer game) really fun. Leisure Suit Larry 3 - maybe the funniest of the series.

Reply 30 of 30, by laffer35

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

This is very hard as there are many series I like and I often like several games in a series equally.

But I'll pick one from each of the series then (this is in random order) -

- Monkey Island (first Amiga game I bought and the first LucasFilm adventure game I played.. had only played a few AGI Sierra games prior).

- Gabriel Knight 2.. the fantastic storyline is what makes me love this game so much.. one of the very few great FMV games.

- Last Ninja 2.. one of the first C64 games I bought and still one of my all time favourite Commodore 64 games. It's still a ton of fun to play, all these years later. And the music is VERY good.

- It Came from the Desert.. another great Amiga game. Quite original, mixes several types of gameplay. And it works very well. It's really a detective/adventure game at heart though. Very nice 50s B-horror movie atmosphere as well.

- Turrican 2.. one of the finest platform/action games I've ever played and one of my absolute favourite Amiga games. The music is really good too.