VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Bought a 2000 Dodge Dakota, 21,000 miles for $13,684 last week. Wrote a $6,000 check and it looks like they finally got around to cashing it. Just checked my bank account and it's -$6,000! and I still got a ways to go before I get it paid off.

Sigh. Think of the computer I can build for $13,684. 🙁

I'll see if I can post some pics later.

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 2 of 15, by Snover

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Man, 210,000 for $13K? You got ripped off!

Yeah, that was low.

What the hell would posess you to buy a fucking truck anyway? Unless you do a shitload of hauling of extremely large things, it's a waste of your money. (I think pickup trucks guzzle even more gas than SUVs.)

Yes, it’s my fault.

Reply 3 of 15, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Snover wrote:

Man, 210,000 for K? You got ripped off!

Yeah, that was low.

What the hell would posess you to buy a fucking truck anyway? Unless you do a shitload of hauling of extremely large things, it's a waste of your money. (I think pickup trucks guzzle even more gas than SUVs.)

Heh, Extra 0's are fun! Good thing I didn't put an extra one on that check! 😁

Gas mileage is good enough. About 20 MPG (Nothing compared to those electric/gas combo's 50 MPG!!!) with my rough calculations. Checked this site out a couple of days ago to confirm and it seems about right: http://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/bymake/Dodge2000.shtml

Reply 5 of 15, by HunterZ

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Nicht Sehr Gut wrote:

Bills and some food...mostly bills.

Ditto I think - spend around that much paying bills to my roommates because they got behind on updating their records. Also probably spent around that much on my shiny new PII-450 around 5 years ago, which has evolved into my current machine:

Original configuration:
PII-450
Gigabye GA6BXC motherboard (Intel i440BX chipset)
64MB PC100 SDRAM
6.4GB Western Digital HDD
3.5" Floppy
SB PCI128
nVidia Riva TNT (TNT1) 16MB AGP
$5 Mitsumi 2-button PS/2 mouse
$5 Samsung PS/2 keyboard
Pan-Interational Industrial Corp. of China (I just like saying that 😉) 40x IDE ATAPI CD-ROM
Aztech MDP7800U PCI Winmodem (can't believe I remember that)
Proview SA768 (768M) 17" monitor
Win98 (first edition - SE didn't exist yet)

Evolved into:
PIII-550
Gateway (Tyrian III or something like that) motherboard (also i440BX)
512MB PC100 SDRAM (actually it's mostly PC133 running at 100MHz)
80GB Maxtor HDD
3.5" Floppy
SB Live X-Gamer (not 5.1)
nVidia Geforce 2 MX 32MB AGP
$20 Microsoft IntelliMouse w/IntelliEye USB
$5 CompUSA keyboard 😉
Pan-Interational Industrial Corp. of China 44x IDE ATAPI CD-ROM (the 40x blew out in a blaze of smoke when I was playing Battlespire, just like I blew out a monitor playing Skynet - Bethesda games seem to be bad for my hardware 😜)
3Com PCI Winmodem (even cruddier than the Aztech in my opinion - the Aztech could use hacked Zoom v.92 drivers so that I could disconnect on the call-waiting tone)
14" monitor whose brand I can't remember (soon to be replaced by a beautiful Samsung 17" monitor! Yay!)
WinXP SP1+DX9

Right now I'm on my brother's computer that I helped him build. It's a screaming 2GHz Athlon XP with an ATI Radeon 9500 Pro. Unfortunately it's held back by Win98SE and two old hard drives (one of which is that old 6.4GB Western Digital - a hand-me-down 😉).

Reply 6 of 15, by Nicht Sehr Gut

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Originally posted by HunterZ It's a screaming 2GHz Athlon XP with an ATI Radeon 9500 Pro. Unfortunately it's held back by Win98SE and two old hard drives

Actually Win98 should allow for optimal performance because it uses less in the way of resources when compared to Win2K or XP.

One thing I found out recently. Did you know if install Win98 (not SE) on a machine with a 2.2GHz Intel processor or higher, it will crash with a fatal NDIS error every time it tries to get to the desktop? MSoft has a fix for it, but it's not directly downloadable. You have to contact a support representative to get it.

Win95 also has the problem (of course), but there is no fix (besides disabling NDIS).

Reply 7 of 15, by MajorGrubert

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

New furniture for the dining room, about US$ 1,300.00. As you can see, not everyone is buying cars or computers 😉

Major Grubert

Athlon 64 3200+/Asus K8V-X/1GB DDR400/GeForce FX 5700/SB Live! 5.1

Reply 9 of 15, by HunterZ

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Nicht Sehr Gut wrote:

Actually Win98 should allow for optimal performance because it uses less in the way of resources when compared to Win2K or XP.

You'd think that, but after actually putting the theory into practice, I have to conclude that it's just not true. Some examples:

- Heavy disk I/O causes the computer to stutter (I think it's a multitasking issue, although it could be the old HDDs)
- Win9x's 64KB GDI cap causes fancy-looking programs like eMule to become unstable
- I've heard that if my brother wants to go beyond his current 512MB of RAM, Win98SE will crash
- The OS likes to lock up a lot more and a lot more easily than XP. In XP I can almost always recover from program crashes, but in 98SE I'm not usually as lucky
- FAT32 partitions more prone to fragmentation and glitches (lost chains, etc.) - this hasn't been too bad because my brother is better than most people about not skipping the scans it does when recovering from an OS crash
- Inability to use USB mouse in safe mode (it's even a Microsoft mouse! 😜)

Also, anyone who's used both Win98SE and WinXP for more than a couple months knows that there are lots of little things in XP that make it much nicer to use (e.g. not having to reboot as much when changing network or other OS settings, a more helpful task manager, less tendency for the OS to crash to the point of needing to reboot)

I suppose you could argue that most of my issues are small, but I do think that XP is significantly better on Pentium-II or higher systems. If you turn off all the fancy stuff (graphical effects, themes, and unneeded services) it looks like Win2K and runs just as leanly.

Reply 10 of 15, by Nicht Sehr Gut

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Originally posted by HunterZ - Heavy disk I/O causes the computer to stutter (I think it's a multitasking issue, although it could be the old HDDs)

Something I'm presently getting in XP with my DVD drive, but not in Win98SE.

- Win9x's 64KB GDI cap causes fancy-looking programs like eMule to become unstable

I said it needs less resources, not that it was more stable.

- I've heard that if my brother wants to go beyond his current 512MB of RAM, Win98SE will crash

Yes, you have to do some tweakings with Win98 if you have more than 512MB of RAM, but that has to do with limitations of the OS. The problem is that it doesn't know how to use enough of your resources, not that it needs too much.

- The OS likes to lock up a lot more and a lot more easily than XP.

Again, that's not from a lack of resources. It's do to the inherent instability of a hybrid 16Bit/32Bit (DOS/Win) OS.

FAT32 partitions more prone to fragmentation and glitches (lost chains, etc.) - this hasn't been too bad because my brother is better than most people about not skipping the scans it does when recovering from an OS crash

This is about as close to a relevant point as I could find. Even then, using NTFS "indexing" or compression" options would probably take away the speed advantage over FAT32.

- Inability to use USB mouse in safe mode (it's even a Microsoft mouse!

?? How is using a USB mouse in safe mode related to the efficient use of resources?

Also, anyone who's used both Win98SE and WinXP for more than a couple months knows that there are lots of little things in XP that make it much nicer to use

Yes, just as I discovered there are a number of things I don't like about it that make me want to use Win98. In general, reaction to my input on the Win98 side is nearly instantaneous, whereas the same input on the XP side has to go through a number of hoops to do the same thing. This is one of the grumbles of Win2K users, they're getting less performance due to OS features they aren't interested in using.

I suppose you could argue that most of my issues are small,

Or just weird, considering that most of them weren't related to performance, but stability.

...but I do think that XP is significantly better on Pentium-II or higher systems. If you turn off all the fancy stuff (graphical effects, themes, and unneeded services) it looks like Win2K and runs just as leanly.

Now let's see you convince DosFreak and Snover of this...

Reply 11 of 15, by Carrera

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Back to my 1000 $ I mean € purchase...
Ordered the TV on on online shop because it said it was silver. When it arrived it was beige.. hmmm.. sent it back.
It takes them 3 weeks to find out what i already had found out in that the TV is only available in beige.
I find it as a showcase piece on sale at a local retailer.
Cancel online order, get the TV from the other place.
When I get it home I see that the case is dirty and the edges of the glass are "rough". Also, after a few hours purple spots appear. I try everything in the manual but no luck.
Called THOMSON, they say take it to the retailer, the retailer says they have to send it to THOMSON and it will take at least 3 weeks. I call THOMSON and they say take it to a certified repair shop. I verify the guarantee on the phone: All parts and labor excluding actual travel costs". So I take this 55 kg (110 lbs) TV to the repair shop.
Next day they claim the pictube tube is "busted" meaining it has slid a mm or so.
So I finally resign to my fate and take it back to the retailer. Low and behold they have 2 of these TVs! The first one I received was some TV they had stuck back in the warehouse. They start going off on me about how bad the case looks and about possibly not letting me exchange it.
I point ut that you can swap the cases (this is a marketing gag from THOMSON) and we swap and I go home.

Exactly 4 weeks and 2 days after I tried to purchase the darend thing in the first place.

As luck would have it, my Red Dwarf Series II DVD arrived on the same day. Between that and my ATARI console I am a very happy man...

Reply 12 of 15, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

What size was the screen?

Red Dwarf is on my list of to buy DVD's....just got so many others to buy first.

Reply 13 of 15, by edelbeb

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Gingival grafts. On Friday, I had skin taken from the roof of my mouth and sewn onto my gums. Not too painful, but it will continue to feel strange while I'm eating until the stitches, and the goop that's covering them on the roof of my mouth, comes out. That will be Thursday. I'm gonna need this done 3 times.

Getting older (I'm in my mid-forties) sucks, but not nearly as bad as the alternative.