VOGONS

Common searches

What DOS game are you playing right now?

Topic actions

Reply 20 of 107, by retro games 100

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Great collection you have there! 😀 I completed Thunderscape twice, but cheated both times. Also, I did about 3/4 of M&M 3, also cheating. 😊

One problem I'm having with Champ.Krynn is that I don't know the AD&D rules. There's some info about them in the game's journal, but I think I need to get some kind of general (beginner's) guide book about the subject. Can you recommend one please? Thanks a lot if know of a good one.

Reply 22 of 107, by Malik

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
retro games 100 wrote:

....One problem I'm having with Champ.Krynn is that I don't know the AD&D rules. There's some info about them in the game's journal, but I think I need to get some kind of general (beginner's) guide book about the subject. Can you recommend one please? Thanks a lot if know of a good one.

With Champions of Krynn (CK), all the mechanics of the gameplay are in the accompanying Rule Book. That Rule Book also includes a brief introduction and essential informations regarding the AD&D 2nd Edition Rules.

The rules of these Krynn series prohibit the presence of Evil Player Characters (PCs) due to the nature and slant of the story. Hence you might not find enough infos regarding the evil alignments.

Of course, having more information on the AD&D Rules will be more helpful and can get the bigger and clearer picture. If you're interested in the basics, you can try the D&D Core Rulebooks or D&D Player Handbooks, from ebay.

Also to keep in mind are the different editions. I believe the SSI's Gold Box series are made around the AD&D 2nd Edition Rule Set.

5476332566_7480a12517_t.jpgSB Dos Drivers

Reply 23 of 107, by retro games 100

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Thanks a lot! I haven't play D&D properly before, and so you just jogged my memory about the different rules editions. BTW, I just won a cheap pile of old SSI RPGs on ebay. Included in this pile are the 3 Krynn games, with documentation. The games are on floppy disk - I don't think I've ever seen these games on CD-ROM. Also included are other SSI RPGs, but not 100% complete - nevermind, I have the "Gamefest: Forgotten Realms Classics" compilation, as seen here on mobygames -

http://www.mobygames.com/game/dos/gamefest-fo … realms-classics

It seems very similar to the "Forgotten Realms Archives" compilation.

Edit: I've just started the 2nd Krynn game - DKoK and used my previous party from the first Krynn game to start the game with.

Edit 2: I've just found an AD&D rules FAQ for every CRPG based on the 2nd Edition AD&D ruleset, which includes the 3 Krynn games. It's here -

http://www.gamefaqs.com/computer/doswin/file/564801/8566

Reply 24 of 107, by Malik

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
retro games 100 wrote:

....BTW, I just won a cheap pile of old SSI RPGs on ebay. Included in this pile are the 3 Krynn games, with documentation. The games are on floppy disk - I don't think I've ever seen these games on CD-ROM. Also included are other SSI RPGs, but not 100% complete - nevermind, I have the "Gamefest: Forgotten Realms Classics" compilation.....

Great! Just remember to eat and sleep too! 😁

Also in the Krynn series, if you're using the mages, keep a watch on the 3 small moons at the top of the screen. Full moons give the best dice roll and fewer saving throws when the mage casts a spell. (White Moon - Affects White Robes, Red Moon - Affects Red Robes). Though the black moon doesn't affect the PCs in the Krynn series, you might want to watch out for this moon when confronting the Evil Mages (Order of the Black Robes). It's better to dispose these evil mages at the beginning of a battle, when their moon is full!

Reply 25 of 107, by retro games 100

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Hehe, I wondered what those 3 small moons did! I'm an impatient gamer - I like to zoom through them at break neck speed. I took my existing Co-Krynn party, and maxed them out using the Universal Game Editor (UGE) cheat utility. Then I imported this super strength party in to the DKo-Krynn game. I can now swat aside more or less anything that stands in my way. Wahaha! 😈

BTW, I think those SSI RPG clue books are good, especially the maps.

Reply 26 of 107, by HunterZ

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I feel like I'm missing out on part of the game experience by cheating (unless it's to get around a bug for example). Usually I find something else to play if a game is too long or grindy. I think that's why I put down Albion again 🙁

Reply 28 of 107, by HunterZ

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Oh yeah, I'm playing Wizardry 7 at the moment using Gulikoza's build for MT-32 emulation. I had made it a good ways into the game last time I played a couple years ago, but since it's been so long I decided to start over with the save game file that I made right after importing my party from Wizardry 6. The one thing that's killing me right now is having to flip between the game, the walkthrough, and the maps; I need 2-3 monitors/computers!

I also remembered the annoyance of not knowing item stats without casting Identify on them. I got an item browser program that someone made, but it won't run under Win7 x64 or Win3.1. I ended up running it on my old desktop (runs 32-bit WinXP) via Remote Desktop hehe.

Reply 29 of 107, by retro games 100

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
HunterZ wrote:

The one thing that's killing me right now is having to flip between the game, the walkthrough, and the maps; I need 2-3 monitors/computers!

Hehe, I know the feeling. When I'm messing about with just my main XP-based rig, I've got a "windowed" DOSBox in one corner of the screen, notepad in another with a walkthrough in it, an internet browser window squashed in there with maps and other things on it, and a .pdf file open with a manual or cluebook. Just occasionally, I ALT-ENTER the DOSBox window to see those chunky DOS graphics in all their full screen glory, then it's ALT-ENTER back again to windowed mode so I can read the next bit of the walkthrough..

Reply 30 of 107, by HunterZ

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Yeah I'm not bothering to try playing in full-screen since it's a 320x200 turn-based game. I'm thinking of shrinking the DOSBox windowresolution to get more screen space for maps.

Reply 31 of 107, by carangil

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi, I'm new here, and thought I'd start off on this thread.

Lately I've been playing Ken's Labyrinth and Rise of the Triad.

Last night I played the original Prince of Persia. It's been a while 😀

Reply 32 of 107, by general_vagueness

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I've been meaning to get back to the Doom series but Castlevania III has been sucking up my time, along with some Halo.

You cannot fall off the floor.
If you look hard enough, you'll find something you don't like.

How to ask questions the smart way
How to become a hacker
How to answer smart-alec questions

Reply 33 of 107, by Kelly Stiver

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
HunterZ wrote:

The one thing that's killing me right now is having to flip between the game, the walkthrough, and the maps; I need 2-3 monitors/computers!

Why don't you print out your walkthroughs/maps, and fasten them together like a book - I always do this with my w/t and I even have a special place just for storing my printed walkthroughs?

Reply 34 of 107, by HunterZ

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Kelly Stiver wrote:
HunterZ wrote:

Why don't you print out your walkthroughs/maps, and fasten them together like a book - I always do this with my w/t and I even have a special place just for storing my printed walkthroughs?

I should. Gotta check with the wife though since the printer is hers and it'd probably be a good amount of paper used >.>

Around 10-12 years ago I printed out all of the Wiz7 maps and tried to paste them together into one huge map for fun (which the walkthrough explicitly warns you NOT to do!). It almost worked, but the creator of the maps and walkthrough was a bit sloppy, so some of the maps didn't fit together too well 😅

Reply 35 of 107, by retro games 100

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I've just beaten the dastardly Lord Soth in "Death knights of Krynn". Phew - that was difficult. Actually I'm lying, it was quite easy with all the cheating I was doing. Anyway, I've just installed and set up the final chapter in this SSI RPG AD&D Dragonlance Krynn trilogy, called "Dark queen of Krynn". And like "Death knights", you are able to import you victorious (or otherwise) party in to this game from the previous one. The graphics look better. Time to visit the palace and get my orders..

Reply 36 of 107, by HunterZ

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Printed out the Wiz7 walkthrough in two-column landscape format, double-sided, and printed out the maps 9 on a page, also double-sided. Both are quite readable, so I'm progressing through the game at a decent pace (I think I'm already about as far as I've ever been in Wiz7 after only a few weekends).

Decided to poke around with Star Trek: 25th Anniversary (CD-ROM version) last night for fun and it seems interesting. I'm trying not to get too distracted from Wiz7 though because I still want to finish it and xfer my party (originally from Wiz6) to Wiz8.

I've already got plans to change my Alchemist to a Psionic+Alchemy Bishop in Wiz8, since he started life as a Monk in Wiz6 then switched to an Alchemist mid-game and thus has a decent amount of skill points in both.

Reply 37 of 107, by Malik

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
retro games 100 wrote:

I've just beaten the dastardly Lord Soth in "Death knights of Krynn". Phew - that was difficult. Actually I'm lying, it was quite easy with all the cheating I was doing. Anyway, I've just installed and set up the final chapter in this SSI RPG AD&D Dragonlance Krynn trilogy, called "Dark queen of Krynn". And like "Death knights", you are able to import you victorious (or otherwise) party in to this game from the previous one. The graphics look better. Time to visit the palace and get my orders..

Get ready for fierce battles. Almost at each step! 😁

Reply 38 of 107, by bushwack

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I'm playing me some Warcraft 2, I absolutely loved this game back in 96-97. The map editor, Kali and dial-up head-to-head with a friend made it gaming bliss.

I'm plying the DOS version but also have the Battle.net edition. While the Battle.net edition worked on my Win7 rig, the graphics are smoothed over with some kind of filter and I just don't care for it.

I find it funny there is a CD audio track with the option of MIDI, I don't think a floppy version was ever released. I'm using MIDI anyway, saving the life of my CD-ROM. 🙄 I never played with the midi music and it sounds surprisingly good on my AWE64 gold.

Reply 39 of 107, by HunterZ

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I'm pretty sure the battle.net version of WC2 runs in 640x480 using DirectX, so if there's any smoothing then it's being done by either your video card driver's or your monitor's scaling.

I kind of want to get my hands on the DOS version sometime to run the MIDI through my Roland SC-88.