VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I don't mean the obvious stuff like typing, doing worksheet, or browsing the net, but hobby things like coding, Photoshopping, movie editing, etc.

I keep Notepad++ on every PC/laptop I have --still my most favorite tool for coding. PostgreSQL/PostGIS, MapServer for Windows, and XAMPP are also ubiquitous.

However, my biggest passion besides gaming is music. In early 1990s (during highschool), I tried to write a "hip-hop ballad" remix of Roger Williams' Till, using Voyetra Sequencer Plus Pro software that came with SoundBlaster Pro MIDI. It uses the SB's FM music though, so it's pretty lame.

The real excitement came when Arga, my highschool buddy, introduced me to MODEDIT and Mod Play Pro --both are DOS-based tracker software. The MODEDIT is entirely text-based, the samples are low quality .SAM files (there is a util to convert SB .VOC to .SAM), and a song is limited to four tracks, but it was a real blast compared to FM music. Arga did some remixes of Star Control II's songs (he ripped the .MOD songs using hex editor, don't ask), while I was doing original songs. Too bad the whole thing was still locked in my 286's hard drive (until I find a way to copy them to modern PC), but I managed to create two full songs. Both are techno, by the way.

I haven't been doing computer music again for some years, mainly because of the transition to Windows95. When I eventually found a free tracker for Windows, I had been already too busy for such thing. A friend of mine tried to get me into BuzzTracker, but I find the software is pretty much complicated to use.

But recently, another friend of mine, who is a semi-retired DJ, introduced me to Virtual DJ. It was a real blast! The software is pretty easy to use, and quite powerful for a beginner like me. I managed to make a hybrid remix of Tiesto's Flight 643 and Armin van Buuren's Face To Face, all without headphones! Man, it's really cool piece of software!

The following list make up my homemade non-stop clubbing sequence. All songs are set to 136 bpm, because I use Armin's Imagine as reference.
(1) Conjure One - Damascus. This song is for intro. Every good trance album and/or DJ performance always has good intro. Too bad I missed Armin's intro during his performance in Ancol Beach, Jakarta, December 2009. Blame the lousy event organizer...
(2) Armin van Buuren - Imagine. A perfect warm-up song. The orchestra/electric guitar intro is replaced by Damascus above, by the way.
(3) Fous de La Mer - Watersong (Jerome Isma Ae Mix), to make things hotter.
(4) Electro Prompt - Beside Me (Gothek D.C. Remix). Starting from minute 3:48, the song's trance hook is immediately blended and replaced with....
(5) Harmonix - Landslide (Way Out West Mix). This is one of the early trance songs, not to mention its trance hook is still the best to my ears, so I just have to include this one. I start this song from minute 4.45, to immediately replace the previous song's trance hook.
(6) Allure feat. Julie Thompson - Somewhere Inside. This one is simply my most favorite love song. Yes, a great trance song can be a love song too! Anyway, I do not do much with this song, I just add a siren sampler during the trance hook part.
(7) DJ Jean - Ibiza Dreams. Have I told you that I can't get enough of trance? Anyway, this song actually belongs to 040, but I only have the DJ Jean version --which is not really different than the original version. Note the trance hook at the minute 0.58. Next to Harmonix's Landslide, it is the sweetest trance hook I've ever heard.
(8 ) Ah, here is my "beginner's masterpiece": the Face To Face/Flight 643 hybrid. Although I like Armin better than Tiesto, I still think that both are brilliant DJs!
(9) Bahamen - Who Let The Dogs Out (Barking Mad Mix). To cheer things up after "mellow-yellow" trance songs like Landslide or Somewhere Inside.

I close the sequence with "pump it up" samples, primarily because I haven't got the right "closing song" yet. Besides, the sequence above is still WIP.

So, what other things you do with your PC, besides gaming?

Never thought this thread would be that long, but now, for something different.....
Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman.

Reply 3 of 17, by rfnagel

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Been composing MIDIs since 1990, currently STILL using Cakewalk Pro v3.02. I never was much into Tracker format composing, although I registered MODEDIT as well as bought Tetra Compositor.

I too remember Voyetra's SPP, and had a MIDI driver for it that could access my old Wave Blaster 1 😀

Last edited by rfnagel on 2010-07-16, 18:54. Edited 1 time in total.

Rich ¥Weeds¥ Nagel
http://www.richnagel.net

Reply 4 of 17, by Jan3Sobieski

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I used to do the same stuff back in the day, i remember first having a wave editor, i forgot the name, tedwin or something like that. Then I purchased a copy of Magix Music Maker... That was a mistake. Finally I got into it a little more seriously with Jeskola Buzz, took a while to even figure out how it worked... Now i just download the latest "Future sound of Egypt" mixed by Aly & Fila and call it a day 😉

Edit: sometimes i think about going back into it, especially after hearing good pieces like Arksun's Arisen, but then i realize i have a job, kids and almost no time to do anything else, so a quick game of starcraft before i go to sleep and that's it for me.

Reply 5 of 17, by Amigaz

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Using my PC to record my vinyl records to CD...some of these LP's have never been released on CD so one of my hobbies is to track down rare LP's

But I tend to use my Mac Pro more often for this task since it has better software for editing/recording sound

My retro computer stuff: https://lychee.jjserver.net/#16136303902327

Reply 7 of 17, by Gemini000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Here is a "short" list of things I have done with home computers over the past couple decades I've been using them for:

* Playing games
* Making games (IE: Programming)
* Pixel artwork
* Photo editing
* Story writing
* Tracking sales records
* Non-Linear video editing (IE: My new ADG webshow)
* Sound editing
* Sound effect creation
* Sound recording
* Composing music (MIDI and Impulse Tracker)
* Browsing the World Wide Web
* Browsing FTP servers
* Internet Relay Chat
* Connecting to Bulletin Board Servers
* Watching DVDs
* Calculating complex mathematical equations
* General research
* Hex editing (very helpful thing to know how to do!)

There's probably more but I'm just going off the top of my head.

--- Kris Asick (Gemini)
--- Pixelmusement Website: www.pixelships.com
--- Ancient DOS Games Webshow: www.pixelships.com/adg

Reply 8 of 17, by digitaldoofus

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I suck at programming and music-making, so not much of that for me...mostly just non-creative entertainment/educational uses for my PC.

Besides gaming, I use my PC for listening to "internet radio" a lot, watching some vids or movies...and I use it in coordination with my iPod (5th Gen) Video 80GB to timeshift and listen to a *lot* of podcasts on various topics, especially Sci-Fi and MMA (mixed martial arts) podcasts.

With my PC, I also download books in txt format and use a text-to-speech utility to convert the books to MP3 speech files which I then transfer to my iPod...again, to listen to at my leisure.

Last edited by digitaldoofus on 2010-07-17, 00:17. Edited 3 times in total.

Once you try retrogaming, you'll never go back...

Reply 9 of 17, by WolverineDK

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I used to do a few remixes in SONY Acid (which I started with Sonic Foundrys version first)

But it was only remixes, so it was really any kind of cover versions , just having fun.

But every now and then, the old remixer pops up in me, and I go remix crazy.

Reply 10 of 17, by Anonymous Freak

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Davros wrote:

did you know with audacity you can record your lp's at 45rpm (saves time)

Yeah, but when you're recording old 78s, it still takes longer than real time....

Reply 11 of 17, by Malik

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I. For me, I used to create music using Tetra Music Compositor in my 286, which came with early sound blaster 2.0, I think, (my friend gave it to me, I had only SB 1.5 at that time.)

Currently using Madtracker.
Has been some time since I last tinkered with the tracker.

II. I listen to cd and dvd music often. Like to listen some relaxing tunes in surround.

III. Watch movies - usually DVDs (as some of you know of my room's HTPC-like setup.)

IV. Archiving my games, especially all my DOS games, both floppy and cd versions. These classics are too precious to get lost along with the fragile floppy media.

V. Collecting, organizing and reading classic games' manuals, classic pc games mags. (I have the first 100 issues of Computer Gaming World in PDF format.) Some of those mags/articles, I print out for bedside reading.

VI. Creating CD cover arts / CD labels, for all my backup cd games.

EDIT: Tetra Music Compositor which came with the Sound Blaster 2.0 is the fully registered version. Another version was released with Sound Blaster Pro, called Tetra Compositor Pro, which takes advantage of the SBPro's Stereo Output, by enabling the assignation of the samples to either L,R, or both channels.
I just couldn't find a copy of this anymore. I really wish it comes up sometime in the net.

Last edited by Malik on 2010-07-17, 11:04. Edited 1 time in total.

5476332566_7480a12517_t.jpgSB Dos Drivers

Reply 12 of 17, by Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Malik wrote:

I. For me, I used to create music using Tetra Music Compositor in my 286, which came with early sound blaster 2.0, I think, (my friend gave it to me, I had only SB 1.5 at that time.)

I used Tetra Compositor shortly before MODEDIT. Do you still remember the songs "In The Mix", "Voyager", and "Echo", which comes with the software? Ahhh... those days....

Malik wrote:

Currently using Madtracker.
Has been some time since I last tinkered with the tracker.

Does it have trance samples?

Never thought this thread would be that long, but now, for something different.....

Reply 13 of 17, by rfnagel

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Malik wrote:

Tetra Music Compositor which came with the Sound Blaster 2.0 is the fully registered version.

None of my sound cards came with it, but I did purchase it back in the day.

Malik wrote:

Another version was released with Sound Blaster Pro, called Tetra Compositor Pro, which takes advantage of the SBPro's Stereo Output, by enabling the assignation of the samples to either L,R, or both channles. I just couldn't find a copy of this anymore. I really wish it comes up sometime in the net.

Thanks for the info, I never knew that before 😀

Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman wrote:

I used Tetra Compositor shortly before MODEDIT. Do you still remember the songs "In The Mix", "Voyager", and "Echo", which comes with the software? Ahhh... those days....

I loved those tunes! 😀 BTW, check my message above <grin>, the link http://www.cmoo.com/snor/weeds/Echoing.htm 😀 Oh, and here's another -> http://www.cmoo.com/snor/weeds/Lars.htm 😀

Rich ¥Weeds¥ Nagel

Reply 14 of 17, by Malik

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
rfnagel wrote:

I loved those tunes! 😀 BTW, check my message above <grin>, the link http://www.cmoo.com/snor/weeds/Echoing.htm 😀 Oh, and here's another -> http://www.cmoo.com/snor/weeds/Lars.htm 😀

Yep! Some of the greatest mods ever! 😀

And here is my previous post highlighting "Echo". I might have even got it from rfnagel!! Thanks! 😀

Does it have trance samples?

I think there are some trance samples. If you're looking for the instruments used for the trance samples, you can extract them from any mods, just like in any other trackers, as you're aware of.

It comes with some mods. My fav is Embrace by Souleye. (http://souleye.madtracker.net/souleye%20-%20embrace.mp3)

5476332566_7480a12517_t.jpgSB Dos Drivers

Reply 15 of 17, by rfnagel

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Malik wrote:

And here is my previous post highlighting "Echo". I might have even got it from rfnagel!! Thanks! 😀

Yep, that MIDI in that thread is it 😀 Cool 😀

Rich ¥Weeds¥ Nagel

Reply 16 of 17, by Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Malik wrote:

It comes with some mods. My fav is Embrace by Souleye. (http://souleye.madtracker.net/souleye%20-%20embrace.mp3)

Interesting. I'll take a look, I mean, take a listen to it.

Anyway, nobody like graphics and animation? I'm not really into such thing, but Arga was such an animation freak when we were in highschool. He was using Autodesk Animator for DOS, as well as GRASP "animation programming language". Anyone remember that?

Reply 17 of 17, by digitaldoofus

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Anyway, nobody like graphics and animation?

I've played around with a program for my Tandy, something called "Disney Animation Studio", if memory serves. Kinda fun, but requires a fairly large investment of time to do it right.

Once you try retrogaming, you'll never go back...