Common searches

blurriness round screen edges

Topic actions

First post, by ratfink

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Looking for guidance please. I have a radeon hd4850, which i was using with a dell 1626ht. I noticed the corner map in WoW was looking blurry. I use other pc's with the same screen and never notice this. It never looked like this with a 6800gt or 7800gs. Also I don't think it looked this way using debian on the same pc.

I changed the monitor as the colours were shot on the dell. Much newer Lacie electron 22 blue IV. Lovely monitor but I stll see the blurring round the edges - eg. on menu bar in IE8. This is running at 1600x1200.

I doubt this could be the cables/kvm's - else why is this pc affected and not others?

So my surmise is it's one of : windows 7 itself; the drivers [if that makes any sense separate from windows 7 somehow being to blame]; or the card itself.

Any views? Could it be anything else?

Reply 1 of 20, by ratfink

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Not sure my post was all that clear - in case it helps, its my perception that the screen is blurry in Windows 7 at least and I'm pretty sure there's a problem round the edges [again in Windows 7].

Reply 2 of 20, by Kippesoep

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

There's a DAC on the graphics card that does the conversion from digital to analog. This DAC has only a certain capacity this limits the resolution that can be used with the card. Especially at higher resolution, the DAC will be operating at the edge of its capability, especially with a crappy cable it can become blurry.

My site: Ramblings on mostly tech stuff.

Reply 3 of 20, by ratfink

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

So the card itself maybe just doesn't have the quality of my now-dead 6800 [which wasnt bluyrry with the same cabling]? Thats a pity.

I'm also wondering why it won't do a desktop resolution higher than 1600x1200. Maybe I have overlooked something.

Reply 4 of 20, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
ratfink wrote:

So the card itself maybe just doesn't have the quality of my now-dead 6800 [which wasnt bluyrry with the same cabling]? Thats a pity.

I'm also wondering why it won't do a desktop resolution higher than 1600x1200. Maybe I have overlooked something.

The HD 4850 is WAY better then that 6800 you had. Btw, if it's dead it tells me the quality of that 6800 wasn't as good as it should've been (Sorry, I'm a lil prejudiced about Ati/Nvidia).

Anyway about the blurryness, I had a blurry new monitor (Technically it's a 32 inch TV...but hey, 32 inch!! 😁) and couldn't get it sharp. I solved it by using a HDMI cable instead of a VGA cable. Now it's sharp and big! 😁

Dunno why the screen was/is blurry when using VGA cables (no matter what computer I used it with) but it seems it just won't work that well when using an analog graphics cable.

Hope this helps, it may totally not be your issue.

Reply 5 of 20, by ratfink

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Thanks, I'll try the other cable type for this PC - the kvm is only vga but the other 3 pcs on the same setup dont seem to have a problem.

As to the 6800gt, it was a secondhand ebay purchase that never was quite right. Every few months it would degenerate into showing flashing icons on boot up, I surmised it was because of the excessively heavy heatsink pulling it out of the AGP socket as wriggling the card seemed to fix it. It was a leadtek, there is quite a lot on the web about these kind of problems with that model, i think a lot were rma'd. Sometimes the card seemed to prefer one case to another [again suggesting fittings or physical support]. Once I found that replacing the heat sink with a lighter one [and periodically reseating it and reapplying silver paste] seemed to keep it going. Maybe it had broken solder joints, one day I got the icons on bootup and I couldn't get it to work properly so I slung it out. Time is money and all that. And that's when I bought the HD4850 🤣.

Reply 6 of 20, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
ratfink wrote:

Thanks, I'll try the other cable type for this PC - the kvm is only vga but the other 3 pcs on the same setup dont seem to have a problem.

As to the 6800gt, it was a secondhand ebay purchase that never was quite right. Every few months it would degenerate into showing flashing icons on boot up, I surmised it was because of the excessively heavy heatsink pulling it out of the AGP socket as wriggling the card seemed to fix it. It was a leadtek, there is quite a lot on the web about these kind of problems with that model, i think a lot were rma'd. Sometimes the card seemed to prefer one case to another [again suggesting fittings or physical support]. Once I found that replacing the heat sink with a lighter one [and periodically reseating it and reapplying silver paste] seemed to keep it going. Maybe it had broken solder joints, one day I got the icons on bootup and I couldn't get it to work properly so I slung it out. Time is money and all that. And that's when I bought the HD4850 🤣.

You can (temporarily) fix that by baking your card in an oven (No, I am not joking! There are people actually doing that 😜 )

Reply 8 of 20, by ADDiCT

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

People also are jumping from high buildings and consequently smash into the concrete, or driving cars at night with the headlights off while being drunk. These things are done, though it's questionable whether they are sensible. "Baking" a piece of electronic is bound to destroy more than it "repairs". Solder only becomes fluid after a certain temperature point, yet the same temp is deadly to other, more sensitive electronic components. If there is any effect at all after "baking" I think it'll be from the materials expanding due to the high temp, allowing for contacts to work again. That'll work only a couple of minutes though, until the materials start to contract again. I honestly wonder how anyone can seriously consider doing stuff like that.

If you have "loose" solder points, the only way to make them work properly again is by re-soldering with a good soldering iron (temp controlled, fine tip, etc.), which is extremely difficult with multi-layer PCB's.

Reply 9 of 20, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
ADDiCT wrote:

People also are jumping from high buildings and consequently smash into the concrete, or driving cars at night with the headlights off while being drunk. These things are done, though it's questionable whether they are sensible. "Baking" a piece of electronic is bound to destroy more than it "repairs". Solder only becomes fluid after a certain temperature point, yet the same temp is deadly to other, more sensitive electronic components. If there is any effect at all after "baking" I think it'll be from the materials expanding due to the high temp, allowing for contacts to work again. That'll work only a couple of minutes though, until the materials start to contract again. I honestly wonder how anyone can seriously consider doing stuff like that.

If you have "loose" solder points, the only way to make them work properly again is by re-soldering with a good soldering iron (temp controlled, fine tip, etc.), which is extremely difficult with multi-layer PCB's.

If you would actually READ before posting more of your crap again, his card is already dead so he got nothing to loose anyway

@ratfink, google is your friend 😉
http://www.overclock.net/graphics-cards-gener … d-oven-fix.html

Reply 10 of 20, by ADDiCT

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

You're the one posting crap. I was giving information, where all you are able to do is to throw around cusswords and paste links to content of questionable quality.

Btw: contrary to you, I actually know what I'm talking about. Some years ago when DRAM was incredibly expensive I've tried to build RAM modules out of single RAM IC's and empty RAM PCB's, using a hot air gun for soldering all the tiny contacts at once. The success rate was _very_ low, even though the PCB's were single-layer. My learning was that this form of soldering just doesn't work.

Reply 11 of 20, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
ADDiCT wrote:

You're the one posting crap. I was giving information, where all you are able to do is to throw around cusswords and paste links to content of questionable quality.

Btw: contrary to you, I actually know what I'm talking about. Some years ago when DRAM was incredibly expensive I've tried to build RAM modules out of single RAM IC's and empty RAM PCB's, using a hot air gun for soldering all the tiny contacts at once. The success rate was _very_ low, even though the PCB's were single-layer. My learning was that this form of soldering just doesn't work.

(underlined is some more of your flame bait ADDICT, just so you have no reason to 'accidentally not read it ...again.

Or maybe you're not as good as soldering as you try to make out you are?

And you're misinformed, I never tried to tell anyone I am somekind of 1337 soldering guru...another example of you trying to flamebait?
What I did (which you would've known, had you read the topic for what it is, not just to try and find reasons so you could flame someone again) was give ratfink some information of what was possible and it appeared I was right in posting this information as he replied that he didn't know about it.
Another thing ratfink posted (which you, ofcourse, don't even consider as you're only looking for flamebait, as usual) was that he was sick of trying to get his card to work and he had no reason to try any difficult stuff with it, it wasn't worth his time.
THATS why I hinted him at baking graphics cards. He has nothing to lose from it and there is actually LOTS of information available on the net.
Maybe all that information is questionable to you but this thread is not about your 1337 soldering skills, it's about helping this guy out and the discussion that may be created around it.

Now lets look a lil further into this, shall we? Since that's exactly what it is you're here for, ADDICT.

People also are jumping from high buildings and consequently smash into the concrete, or driving cars at night with the headlights off while being drunk. These things are done, though it's questionable whether they are sensible.

Well now, this piece you wrote would set some examples of things that happen but are not sensible

"Baking" a piece of electronic is bound to destroy more than it "repairs".

This is you telling me the idea I posted is a bad one (me, because I am the one who suggested it)

Solder only becomes fluid after a certain temperature point, yet the same temp is deadly to other, more sensitive electronic components. If there is any effect at all after "baking" I think it'll be from the materials expanding due to the high temp, allowing for contacts to work again. That'll work only a couple of minutes though, until the materials start to contract again. I honestly wonder how anyone can seriously consider doing stuff like that.

And this is you, ADDICT, trying to lecture me because, in your opinion, the idea I suggested is as dumb as the ideas of jumping into concrete and such things.
Now lets look at this part you wrote, ADDICT

I honestly wonder how anyone can seriously consider doing stuff like that

Now, here we are. YOU are wondering why anyone would seriously consider doing such a questionable (your words) thing.
It is questionable to you because in YOUR 'expert' opinion it is a dumb thing to do.

What you don't consider is THINKING why I actually suggested that idea, ADDICT.
Your reasoning seems to be one of someone who thinks very highly of himself, so highly that if anyone would post anything that seems outrageous to YOU (and that's really easy to do, if nobody posts anything that falls into that category, you'll simply twist someones words around just so you can throw up over them), you won't even consider for a minisecond that this other person might actually be on to something!

Now the second explanation of your quote here

I honestly wonder how anyone can seriously consider doing stuff like that

is the second thing you overlooked because of your large ego.
Someone may consider doing such a thing if the person has much to gain, nothing to lose and it's easy to try.
This is something you could also have been aware of had you, even for just a moment, considered that people who post stuff that isn't 'in your little street' might actually be having a good idea!

But apparently whatever is not 'in your street' just cannot be a good idea and hence you start posting your flame crap again.

Heres another example of what is so manipulative about the way you post things:

Now lets cut them up a bit:

You're the one posting crap

This is because in your 1337 opinion it is crap, see above for more detailed explanation

I was giving information

and part of your information is directly contradictive to the information I posted. You chose to ignore the part about reflowing solder for cracked solder joints simply because it wasn't your idea and you call it 'questionable' even though theres dousands of people who have tried it, and succeeded at it! According to you this isn't even possible, right? Can only reflow solder with a heatgun, right? Because that's what YOU think is the truth.

where all you are able to do is to throw around cusswords and paste links to content of questionable quality.

You know VERY well why I said to you what I said. You aren't exactly well liked here ADDICT and you seem to be completely ignorant about it.
Now notice the underlined word "all" and how it is combined with the other words? It tells people something about the writer, dude. You're so smart, I'll let you figure that out for yourself.

And btw, I didn't just throw in a link, I gave him the advice to do some google searches and posted the link merely as an example.
This is something you choose to ignore and you did that because it makes me sound more n00bish. This you do to increase the 1337ness distance between you and me even further (which is what you want). You do this by manipulating what other people write.

Btw, I thought you had had enough of this forum? Couldn't live without us then?

Edit:
Let me 'just throw in' a couple links about what happens if you start posting in a thread, ADDICT, maybe rereading them will make you see that when you start posting your crap in a topic that it's you who turns a fun and interesting thread into a flame war.

Example #1:
Re: Bring my (vibrant) colors back
Example #2:
Re: Windows 98 versus Windows 98SE? DOS compatibility differences?

Last edited by Tetrium on 2010-08-11, 15:48. Edited 2 times in total.

Reply 12 of 20, by h-a-l-9000

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

Nobody even asked if the refresh rate is turned way up on that PC or adjustment attempts were made in the menu of the screen, or the resolution matches the native one of the display.

And then, being addicted to WoW is a big problem too.

1+1=10

Reply 13 of 20, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
h-a-l-9000 wrote:

And then, being addicted to WoW is a big problem too.

Yup, it's why I stopped playing online RPG's, they are great at eating away all your precious time!
'Normal' games are basically just a matter of playing them from start to finish and you're done. With those online RPG's theres always more to do, you're never done! -_-

Reply 14 of 20, by ADDiCT

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Tetrium: TL/DR. But from what I gather you seem to suck at being a hobby psychologist. You probably won't be able to stop me from giving opinions on VOGONS anyway, so please stop trying to analyse me by reading my posts (; .

Reply 15 of 20, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
ADDiCT wrote:

Tetrium: TL/DR. But from what I gather you seem to suck at being a hobby psychologist. You probably won't be able to stop me from giving opinions on VOGONS anyway, so please stop trying to analyse me by reading my posts (; .

Not reading someone's posts seems to be something you are very good at. And by judging your reply on my 'hobby psychology' it would seem my 'hobby psychology' is better then you would like haha!

Stop trying implies that I failed at doing so, how can you judge if you didn't even bother to read it? --> FAIL!
😁

Reply 16 of 20, by ratfink

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Nobody even asked if the refresh rate is turned way up on that PC or adjustment attempts were made in the menu of the screen, or the resolution matches the native one of the display.

The refresh rate was 60 so I tried 85, no difference. I have however noticed now that sometimes I have the blur and sometimes I don't so that may help me track the problem down. It was 1600x1200 both in WoW and desktop. Not sure what to look for in the screen controls - could you elaborate please h-a-l-9000?

A side issue is that the monitor should I think be capable of more than 1600x1200 and so should the card, but windows doesn't indicate anything higher is available.

Reply 19 of 20, by ratfink

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I've since googled [doh] and seen other people with what they call a softness issue, sometimes solved by a better cable. Also seen there's a driver issue - no win7 64bit driver and people saying the screen is better with 32bit xp. Looking at the inf file I've found, it does refer to 2048 as max res...

So I guess I'll try a better cable and that will be about it. Thanks all for the input.