Common searches

Most disappointing games?

Topic actions

Reply 220 of 532, by sliderider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

State of Emergency by Rockstar. Massive hype but turned out to be nothing more than mindless button mashing and gratuitous violence. A rare turkey from Rockstar.

Duke Nukem Forever. Well, what did you expect after a 14 year buildup? Of course it's going to be a let down. You can't work people's expectations into a frenzied pitch for that long and expect your game to be able to live up to the hype no matter how good it is. It could be the greatest game ever released (which it wasn't), but it will still be a disappointment regardless because gamers' expectations will be running too high. They would have been better not to release anything at all rather than tarnish the Duke image.

Reply 221 of 532, by retrofanatic

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
sliderider wrote:

Duke Nukem Forever. Well, what did you expect after a 14 year buildup? Of course it's going to be a let down. You can't work people's expectations into a frenzied pitch for that long and expect your game to be able to live up to the hype no matter how good it is. It could be the greatest game ever released (which it wasn't), but it will still be a disappointment regardless because gamers' expectations will be running too high. They would have been better not to release anything at all rather than tarnish the Duke image.

I totally agree. I actually didn't mind the game that much because I didn't expect much and I always thought the whole duke nukem thing was kind of cheezy anyways. Things were just not like they used to be (in relative terms) when the new Duke came out. I mean how much better can a game get about a guy named Duke Nukem? 🤣. It had what it should of had...cheesy scenes with slutty girls, new weapons, a lot of mindless shooting and running around destroying things 🤣. A decent game for what it is. If I look for something more involved I usually fire up and play an rpg or a good strategy game.

Reply 222 of 532, by swaaye

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Daikatana isn't terrible. I enjoy it for what it is. Very Quake 2. If you don't run into too many bugs it can be enjoyable. However I have only gotten to the Greek areas so can't speak for whatever happens later...

Unreal 2 was a soulless techdemo failure without a doubt. I do like some of the atmosphere to it though. I feel that way about Deus Ex Invisible War as well.

Reply 223 of 532, by F2bnp

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
swaaye wrote:

Daikatana isn't terrible. I enjoy it for what it is. Very Quake 2. If you don't run into too many bugs it can be enjoyable. However I have only gotten to the Greek areas so can't speak for whatever happens later...

Unreal 2 was a soulless techdemo failure without a doubt. I do like some of the atmosphere to it though. I feel that way about Deus Ex Invisible War as well.

The Greek chapter in Daikatana is probably the best. It's a little less fun after that, but it isn't too bad. I enjoyed it too. The first chapter is abysmal though, I almost stopped playing the game at around halfway through that chapter.

Unreal 2 is indeed pretty uninspired, but man does it look good for 2003. I have a sweet spot for it, because it reminds me of a younger self looking on to future games with a lot of anticipation and excitement.
The game is alright, but I really hate the slow moving speed, the hit scan enemies and the fact that they're trying to make you bond with the crew. I can't believe this game was made and especially written by Legend Entertainment, they made some amazing adventure games!
I just remembered that mission where you have to defend your base. Ugh...

Unreal 2 was also quite demanding. I played through the game on a Pentium 4 3.2, 2GB RAM, 6800GT, WinXP and the game took a lot of time to load. Performance was also somewhat lackluster at 1280x1024, I remember some crazy framedrops at times.

Reply 224 of 532, by ahendricks18

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I bought a used copy of "thief" for the 360 a while back. It was a waste of $20 because I thought it was boring AF. I returned it and got some other games though.

Main: AMD FX 6300 six core 3.5ghz (OC 4ghz)
16gb DDR3, Nvidia Geforce GT740 4gb Gfx card, running Win7 Ultimate x64
Linux: AMD Athlon 64 4000+, 1.5GB DDR, Nvidia Quadro FX1700 running Debian Jessie 8.4.0

Reply 225 of 532, by swaaye

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
F2bnp wrote:

I can't believe this game was made and especially written by Legend Entertainment, they made some amazing adventure games!m.

Legend clearly tried to make something interesting with Unreal 2 but it certainly didn't work out. And we all know content was cut. It was probably rushed at the end. But what is there has a lot of conceptual problems so it was probably never going to be great.

I think Wheel of Time is better. Another visual feast too.

Reply 228 of 532, by King_Corduroy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Wait... what? There is going to be another Doom? 🤣 When will they stop making sequels to these old games!

Check me out at Transcendental Airwaves on Youtube! Fast-food sucks!

Reply 230 of 532, by Rod Primitive

User metadata
Rank BANNED
Rank
BANNED
King_Corduroy wrote:

🤣 When will they stop making sequels to these old games!

When people like you stop pretending to be living under rocks and don't know what's happening.

Reply 234 of 532, by King_Corduroy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Rod Primitive wrote:
King_Corduroy wrote:

🤣 When will they stop making sequels to these old games!

When people like you stop pretending to be living under rocks and don't know what's happening.

Uh I actually didn't know... unlike most of you people I only got the internet in 2013 so having only been on it for a total of two years I'm still not completely used to all the ways you people get around and get news and stuff. Besides why look at modern releases when I'm still finding out about old games I've never heard of before. 🤣

Check me out at Transcendental Airwaves on Youtube! Fast-food sucks!

Reply 237 of 532, by Kerr Avon

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
ahendricks18 wrote:

I bought a used copy of "thief" for the 360 a while back. It was a waste of $20 because I thought it was boring AF. I returned it and got some other games though.

That reboot was *very* disappointing. If you can, play Thief 1 and 2 (PC exclusives) and if you like them play Thief 3. If you don't like them then fair enough, of course, but please don't judge them on that terrible reboot that managed to leave out almost everything that was good about the originals (the gameplay, the well thought out levels, the humour, the desire to see how the story progressed, etc).

Thief 1 and 2 are classics, 3 is less so, but still well worth playing. The reboot is just a bad cash-in by people who evidently didn't know what made the original games so very good.

Reply 238 of 532, by Kerr Avon

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I've just remembered a monumental disappointing game; The Getaway on the PS2.

This is a more linear GTA 3 game, set in London. And on the plus side the designers did add their own original ideas to the game. And on the minus side, that included some staggeringly awful design choices that ruined the game. There's no way I can do justice to the stupidity of the game design using mere words, but as an example, they did away with the map. So how do you know where to go in the open world when you have to drive to a destination? Simple, the indicators on your car flash when you should turn left or right. So you have to stick to the next road that the game tells you to drive down, since it only indicates when it reaches the road it decides you should turn down.

When on foot, you can't manually control the camera. This wouldn't be so bad if the camera had any intelligent behind it, but instead it will often leave you looking at a wall, whilst (for example) someone out of sight on your far right fills you with bullets.

You don't have an onscreen sight/cursor/whatever to show where your bullets will hit, so unless you're shooting at an up-close enemy, then you have to spend time adjusting your aim and hoping it's somewhere nearer the enemy now, usually whilst off-screen enemies are also shooting at you, and since you can't control the camera, then you can't look around easily to see if there is a conveniently large object for you to hide behind.

And of course the cutscenes are long and unskippable. You know, because everyone loves unskippable cutscenes.

Those are just some of the pathetic design decisions that ruin this game. I really wanted this game to be great, as I like GTA 3 games (San Andreas is my favourite) and this one was set in England (where I live), but it's awful. It does do one thing well, it does look like London (well, I've never been there, so I'm not saying it's authentic, just that it feels British), but it really is as though at every stage of development, the developers have said "What can we do to make this game unplayable?". They released a sequel, The Getaway: Black Monday (I think, I can't remember it's name for certain) but they didn't fix most of the problems.

Reply 239 of 532, by meisterister

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

SimCity (the new one)

As a fan of the series (especially 2000 and 4), I was really excited for an even bigger and deeper game. The tech demos and videos that were posted gave an interesting look at a city simulation far more involved than I thought possible. The addition of multiplayer was just icing on the cake, as it would have been great to build a city with friends rather than play Civ 5 (which is painfully boring) or shooting at virtual things.

Then EA, in their typical fashion, completely screwed it up. The game requires a constant internet connection and login, and each city is pathetically small. They effectively took a good game, cut it to bits, and ensured that no one can actually play the damn thing.

Dual Katmai Pentium III (450 and 600MHz), 512ish MB RAM, 40 GB HDD, ATI Rage 128 | K6-2 400MHz / Pentium MMX 166, 80MB RAM, ~2GB Quantum Bigfoot, Awful integrated S3 graphics.