VOGONS

Common searches

Most disappointing games?

Topic actions

Reply 240 of 532, by Sedrosken

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Skyrim. As good as it was, it didn't live up to half of the hype it got.

Alternatively, Diablo II. They took a dark fantasy/horror hack n slash with roguelike elements and made it all about item farming. It was still fun, bucketloads in multiplayer, but it didn't have the same feel as the original.

Didn't play Unreal II but from all the concurrence on it being disappointing I have to wonder whether I'm better off for not having played it.

Nanto: H61H2-AM3, 4GB, GTS250 1GB, SB0730, 512GB SSD, XP USP4
Rithwic: EP-61BXM-A, Celeron 300A@450, 768MB, GF2MX400/V2, YMF744, 128GB SD2IDE, 98SE (Kex)
Cragstone: Alaris Cougar, 486BL2-66, 16MB, GD5428 VLB, CT2800, 16GB SD2IDE, 95CNOIE

Reply 241 of 532, by King_Corduroy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Kerr Avon wrote:
I've just remembered a monumental disappointing game; The Getaway on the PS2. […]
Show full quote

I've just remembered a monumental disappointing game; The Getaway on the PS2.

This is a more linear GTA 3 game, set in London. And on the plus side the designers did add their own original ideas to the game. And on the minus side, that included some staggeringly awful design choices that ruined the game. There's no way I can do justice to the stupidity of the game design using mere words, but as an example, they did away with the map. So how do you know where to go in the open world when you have to drive to a destination? Simple, the indicators on your car flash when you should turn left or right. So you have to stick to the next road that the game tells you to drive down, since it only indicates when it reaches the road it decides you should turn down.

When on foot, you can't manually control the camera. This wouldn't be so bad if the camera had any intelligent behind it, but instead it will often leave you looking at a wall, whilst (for example) someone out of sight on your far right fills you with bullets.

You don't have an onscreen sight/cursor/whatever to show where your bullets will hit, so unless you're shooting at an up-close enemy, then you have to spend time adjusting your aim and hoping it's somewhere nearer the enemy now, usually whilst off-screen enemies are also shooting at you, and since you can't control the camera, then you can't look around easily to see if there is a conveniently large object for you to hide behind.

And of course the cutscenes are long and unskippable. You know, because everyone loves unskippable cutscenes.

Those are just some of the pathetic design decisions that ruin this game. I really wanted this game to be great, as I like GTA 3 games (San Andreas is my favourite) and this one was set in England (where I live), but it's awful. It does do one thing well, it does look like London (well, I've never been there, so I'm not saying it's authentic, just that it feels British), but it really is as though at every stage of development, the developers have said "What can we do to make this game unplayable?". They released a sequel, The Getaway: Black Monday (I think, I can't remember it's name for certain) but they didn't fix most of the problems.

Yeah I remember that game, I've always been a huge fan of Driver and when I started to get into GTA I also grabbed this one PS2. It was awful, I couldn't believe anyone had actually released this with the idea of making money. You are totally right about everything the unskippable cutscenes were criminal (especially since they tried to be so edgy with nudity and such), the driving was terrible and the walking was worse. Driving around england was an absolute nightmare, the streets are way too small for this type of game and frankly all the cars were pretty lame. A driving game definitely needs muscle cars in it at least a little and as far as I remember everything in this game was realistic modern dinky little european cars with no get up and go. But yeah fucking terrible game all remaining copies of it should be burned so no one else will have to play it. 🤣

Check me out at Transcendental Airwaves on Youtube! Fast-food sucks!

Reply 242 of 532, by Rod Primitive

User metadata
Rank BANNED
Rank
BANNED

Fallout 4.
It's boring, it's un-optimized, it's just like FO3 but with some sharper graphics.
The story is the most cliché one ever. Once you've seen the intro you'll know how it will end.

Reply 243 of 532, by King_Corduroy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Well that's sad. 😒 I was actually getting excited when some people on youtube were doing game footage of it, but I should have expected it considering FO3 was pretty boring and Fallout NV was terrible.

Check me out at Transcendental Airwaves on Youtube! Fast-food sucks!

Reply 244 of 532, by shamino

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Oblivion. I think Morrowind was amazing, but I'm confused how it can possibly have had the same lead designer as all the later TES and Fallout games. I can only conclude that Morrowind was an accident, or that Howard guy bumped his head at some point.

Oblivion is the point where Bethesda shifted their focus to the console market. Morrowind was a deep, slow paced PC RPG that got ported to a console. Oblivion was truly designed as a console game and is hugely different (thus causing Morrowind and Oblivion to have very different sets of fans, and all the arguments that induces).
From Oblivion onward, all the TES/Fallout games have followed the same basic design, but with each iteration it degrades further towards a mindless arcade game. I can still enjoy them, but I'm not sure how much further I can keep up. Skyrim is honestly just "okay", but rather uninteresting overall.
Oblivion isn't bad, in fact I still plan to do a serious playthrough at some point. The disappointment stems from comparison with Morrowind and the fact that it changed the direction of the TES series. I love the TES universe, but I'm disappointed that it has been lost to these type of games now. If Oblivion and Skyrim weren't TES games then I wouldn't care.

Reply 245 of 532, by Tiger433

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I played System Shock 2 few days ago and for me that`s very overrated game, graphics is worse than even Unreal or other games, fighting with wrench is very inaccurate, music sometimes do not fit to game, sometimes is faster, but that game is horror so fast type of music isn`t good for that type of game, and enemies appearing out of nowhere respawning from time to time. And also annoing for me are very little graphic options. I see some people talk System Shock 2 that is very good game but for me that game is not bad but also don`t good and annoing sometimes.

W7 "retro" PC: ASUS P8H77-V, Intel i3 3240, 8 GB DDR3 1333, HD6850, 2 x 500 GB HDD
Retro 98SE PC: MSI MS-6511, AMD Athlon XP 2000+, 512 MB RAM, ATI Rage 128, 80GB HDD
My Youtube channel

Reply 246 of 532, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

it's one of those 'with the lights off' games. and frankly when it came out, the atmosphere it had was awesome and helped overcome the fact that all of the map textures were low-color GIFs (which one wouldn't want more detailed anyway since a Voodoo2 gets 20-35'fps in the game and loading times were already lengthy). The music is only really upbeat for the first few decks.

apsosig.png
long live PCem

Reply 247 of 532, by Tiger433

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Textures isn`t very bad but models and their animation is horrible and worse than first Half-Life or Unreal. I`m near end in that game but I stopped playing because I`m almost out of ammunition and I returned to first decks for that two times. I return to that not good game after some months or even year.

W7 "retro" PC: ASUS P8H77-V, Intel i3 3240, 8 GB DDR3 1333, HD6850, 2 x 500 GB HDD
Retro 98SE PC: MSI MS-6511, AMD Athlon XP 2000+, 512 MB RAM, ATI Rage 128, 80GB HDD
My Youtube channel

Reply 248 of 532, by Splinter

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Anyone mention Daikatana?
Back in the day I actually played a fair bit into the game until I got really frustrated.

http://www.compufixshop.com
Main rig Ryzen 2600X Strix RX580 32GB RAM
Secondary rig FX8350 GTX960 16GB RAM

Reply 253 of 532, by dr_st

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Splinter wrote:

Anyone mention Daikatana?
Back in the day I actually played a fair bit into the game until I got really frustrated.

Rod Primitive wrote:

What's wrong with it?

There were really only two things fundamentally wrong with Daikatana's original release - the sidekick AI and the limited saves. Of the two, I'd say the inability to save is worse, but the combination of the two is completely fatal. Once you do away with these two (by playing a patched version), it's actually a pretty fun shooter, but anyone who played the original release was bound to be disappointed and frustrated to no end with these issues.

https://cloakedthargoid.wordpress.com/ - Random content on hardware, software, games and toys

Reply 255 of 532, by gdjacobs

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
dr_st wrote:

There were really only two things fundamentally wrong with Daikatana's original release - the sidekick AI and the limited saves. Of the two, I'd say the inability to save is worse, but the combination of the two is completely fatal. Once you do away with these two (by playing a patched version), it's actually a pretty fun shooter, but anyone who played the original release was bound to be disappointed and frustrated to no end with these issues.

I agree with you as far as the sidekicks. The first level was epic terrible. Frogs and flies. Romero's apparent love of Japanese related pop culture was also completely cringe worthy, betraying a frightening level of ignorance of both Japan and pop culture.

All hail the Great Capacitor Brand Finder

Reply 257 of 532, by gdjacobs

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I find MacFarlane's version of satire to be extremely clunky, but that's hardly the point. The only way Daikatana is satire is if it's a story about an arrogant video game producer/writer's inflated sense of self importance manifesting in a game marred by awful mechanics, annoying stock characters, and puerile paper thin Japanophilia.

Reply 258 of 532, by dr_st

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

It also definitely goes without say that the presence of frogs and flies in a level makes it "epic terrible". No further explanation needed.

Some people cannot separate the merits of the game from its development history, apparently. Or the actual gameplay from the silly "plot". Or even their opinion from that of "everyone else" who concluded that the game is terrible, thus it must really be so. 😀

https://cloakedthargoid.wordpress.com/ - Random content on hardware, software, games and toys

Reply 259 of 532, by gdjacobs

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Granted, this is my opinion. And to be fair, there are worse games out there. Unlike some, Daikatana is technically playable.