VOGONS

Common searches

VOGONS is no marketplace!

Topic actions

• This topic is locked. You cannot reply or edit posts.

Reply 20 of 73, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

When a moderator asks you to please stop selling/trading, then it sounds to me like he is warning people that this is no longer allowed.
And it doesn't sound like it is open for debate.

Windows 3.1x guide for DOSBox
60 seconds guide to DOSBox
DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper

Reply 21 of 73, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Dominus wrote:

When a moderator asks you to please stop selling/trading, then it sounds to me like he is warning people that this is no longer allowed.
And it doesn't sound like it is open for debate.

Yes I understand this, but I don't see where this is specifically mentioned as such.
Mind you, not all of us are native English speakers. Hence I (we) asked 😉

Reply 22 of 73, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

In this thread, I'd say. Or are you looking for a constitution where this is written down?

DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper

Reply 24 of 73, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Qbix wrote:

Odd that the dutch people don't understand it. Anyway. Those topics are NOT allowed anymore.

Cheers!

Dominus wrote:

In this thread, I'd say. Or are you looking for a constitution where this is written down?

Thanks for the helpful hint -_-

Mind you, I wasn't asking because I was lying to you that I didn't understand. No need to be so hostile...

Reply 25 of 73, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

Sorry, I didn't mean to sound hostile but I really couldn't see how you can't understand Qbix' and wd's posts

Please stop with all those for sale and for trade topics. […]
Show full quote

Please stop with all those for sale and for trade topics.

Especially if things go wrong, then we can't do a thing to help you.

Use something like Ebay.

Thanks.

Please people, this is not open for discussion, respect what Qbix asked for and don't turn this into an endless discussion.

Reply 26 of 73, by Targaff

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

As an alternative suggestion, I do note that Falconfly does still have a marketplace subforum on his forum, and there's at least some crossover in terms of the market. Would it be worth approaching him to ask whether he's willing to consider a broader remit or whether he wants to keep it strictly Voodoo only there?

Intel CC820 | PIII 667 | 2x128MB SDRAM | 3Dfx Voodoo 5 5500 @ Dell P790 | Creative SB PCI128 | Fujitsu MPC3064AT 6GB + QUANTUM FIREBALLlct10 10 GB | SAMSUNG DVD-ROM SD-608 | IOMEGA ZIP 100 | Realtek RTL8139C | Agere Win Modem

Reply 27 of 73, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Dominus wrote:

Sorry, I didn't mean to sound hostile but I really couldn't see how you can't understand Qbix' and wd's posts

Please stop with all those for sale and for trade topics. […]
Show full quote

Please stop with all those for sale and for trade topics.

Especially if things go wrong, then we can't do a thing to help you.

Use something like Ebay.

Thanks.

Please people, this is not open for discussion, respect what Qbix asked for and don't turn this into an endless discussion.

Cheers mate, all good now 😉

And anyway, I'm sticking to the rules 😉

Reply 28 of 73, by dada

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Qbix wrote:

Odd that the dutch people don't understand it.

😁

Any yeah I don't think anyone was really debating it, pretty much everybody has mentioned they're fine with this. Same with me.

Reply 29 of 73, by sprcorreia

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Qbix wrote:

Odd that the dutch people don't understand it. Anyway. Those topics are NOT allowed anymore.

So as i understand no more topics for selling stuff.

But can we, at least, maintain the old ones? Or will everything get deleted?

Reply 30 of 73, by Alphakilo470

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Milliways has been getting a good number of for sale ads recently. I admit that I posted a sale ad myself. It does degrade the forum when everyone decides this place is an internet garage sale. Never the less, so long as everything is well orchestrated, I don't think it's a big deal. I only find it appropriate that on a forum where you can discuss and brag about old hardware, you can buy it too.

It might be degrading to the forum to make money off the users but I see nothing wrong with using this as a spot to trade components with fellow enthusiasts; we can save the trouble of going to swap meets.

Reply 31 of 73, by collector

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Alphakilo470 wrote:

I don't think it's a big deal. I only find it appropriate that on a forum where you can discuss and brag about old hardware, you can buy it too.

But old hardware is not the intent of the forum. Consider the name itself. Very Old Games on New Systems. It didn't use to cater so much to building dinosaurs. It was always about getting the games to work on new OSs and newer hardware. It had become the official forums for several tools to that end. Many of them have become defunct, mostly because they were designed to address the limitations of the NTVDM and because of the tremendous improvements in DOSBox making NTVDM mostly irrelevant.

Most people don't want or can't dedicate the space or time for what otherwise is a doorstop. It is fine for those that do, but I for one would be just as happy to see DOSBox have its own dedicated forum.

Reply 32 of 73, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Interesting, collector.

I'm a pretty new member and one of the people who is more into building older rigs (or at least, discussing about).
The thing is, I went looking for forums that had people with my interests and theres just nothing there?

It's either about very very old systems where you need to take a soldering iron just to upgrade something (I'm being ironic here) or it's about only 1 part of retro rigs (A 3dfx forum, a cpu forum etc)...OR it's a forum that has a subforum about older systems but it's little used because it's part of some modern overclocking forum.

There aren't any forums that discuss the things that we discuss here. Even though I visit a couple other forums, this one is the first I visit whenever my computer finished loading my desktop.

Reply 33 of 73, by Qbix

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

I have no problems with it being discussed here.

The hardware related forums require very little attention. However I don't like the trading aspect that it brought to this forum. Hence this topic.

Water flows down the stream
How to ask questions the smart way!

Reply 34 of 73, by Malik

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Guys, let's just follow what our moderator ask of us. It'll be the best for all of us. Our moderators are responsible for maintaining this wonderful site. We may have differences in our opinions, but we also share a very unique and great interest - Vintage Computing. Let's just maintain that and put aside any matters that can distract our common interests and unity. Let us make use of the Private Messages to the full extent for those that need to trade. I myself have traded with few fellow vogons friends here via PM and emails. All are great Vogoners! 😀

(Edit : I remember once, Amigaz was looking for a Game Blaster, and he had put that message in his signature. Those who was willing to sell or had the information regarding it may have contacted him. Because he's one happy guy now with a Game Blaster card! 😁

And also, more than once, Retro Games 100 had contacted me via PM, pointing to sites that are selling the Turtle Beach ISA cards, which I was looking for last time.

Just few examples.)

Here's a toast for the Greatness of Classic Computing & Gaming! Cheers! 😁

5476332566_7480a12517_t.jpgSB Dos Drivers

Reply 37 of 73, by Qbix

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

as far as I concerned every mention that relates to money being send over is not allowed.
As the fact remains that we can't do a thing for you in that case either if the other party makes a run for it.

Water flows down the stream
How to ask questions the smart way!

Reply 38 of 73, by digitaldoofus

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Qbix wrote:

as far as I concerned every mention that relates to money being send over is not allowed.
As the fact remains that we can't do a thing for you in that case either if the other party makes a run for it.

Honestly, I don't think anyone would ever expect the VOGONS moderators/operators to do anything for them if a deal went bad. In support of this assertion, I would point to the fact that no one has EVER asked for such a restitution, in the MANY years that VOGONS has been around.

We all know that we have only our own abilities of "judgment" to thank (or blame) when we decide with whom we will deal. And, we each decide based on our own criteria whether we trust someone with whom we are contemplating to deal (How long have we known them? What is their length of time on the forum? Have other deals have been successfully done with them? Do they seem forthright based on their previous posts? etc, etc, etc). Further...did you know you DO have a legal recourse if you just make your (purchase) payment with your Credit Card? It's called a "chargeback" and your credit card company will put the money back in your account if you submit proper testimony or evidence to them that you have been ripped off. Credit card payments can be easily used through PayPal to anyone with a PayPal account (almost everyone has them these days).

Also, I am an attorney, and I certainly believe no legal liability could ever attatch to deals in which the moderators played no direct part, as long as no affirmative "guarantee" was ever interjected by the forum's operators.

I believe the elimination of friendly trading, or selling exchanges on this forum is one too many "rules" that will detract from both the entertainment value, the usefulness, and the overall level of "freedom" that has been enjoyed by VOGONS participants for so many years -- why spoil a good thing with an unnecessary rule? The world has far too many rules already. Grown-ups take risks every day, and it's the same with those of us who buy old computer equipment, no matter where the source.

Perhaps each poster can be limited to no more than ONE trade/sale post per month? If the unsightly "clutter" of sale posts is a big problem, that should remedy it, I'd think.

Anyway, that's my two cents. I really like VOGONS, and I respect moderators (and I know I will be forced to follow their rules when I use this forum). But that's my two cents anyway.

Peace.

Once you try retrogaming, you'll never go back...

Reply 39 of 73, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

Why spoil a good thing with unnecessary trades? Like others pointed out before the forum wasn't even meant to be a haven for people with junk machines (no offense meant).
That happened...
Then the occasional trade happened...
Then there were more...
Now either stop that or be slowly swarmed with it by people who are only here because google results lead them here for getting rid or buying old junk (again no offense meant - just being extra harsh for setting the point).
And if your forum is not meant for dealings then don't allow it - that simple.
As a lawyer you must be aware that other countries might treat that differently than the US. And why risk even a costly legal fight you know you might win in the end but until then will have to pay lawyers nethertheless? No fun in that justbecause you know you are right.