VOGONS

Common searches

Reply 21 of 72, by megatron-uk

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

There are squillions of flight sims that chucked around some impressive polygons. TFX and the space-sim Inferno are two of my faves.

My collection database and technical wiki:
https://www.target-earth.net

Reply 22 of 72, by sklawz

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

lo

as already mentioned DRILLER pre-dates quake by
some years. what you may see though is a lack of
any major action since CPU power was minimal back
then. it was so slow on the c64 i didn't play it.

i notice that there are some 5.25" floppy versions for
the PC on ebay.

if you have read the wikipedia entry about driller
and are curious about it's map, then here it is in
it's full 3d glory:

p1010698t.th.jpg

bye

Reply 23 of 72, by MaxWar

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I just remembered a space flight sim game out of my childhood, Mantis XF5700 (1992), 🤣 thats so long ago. Did not play this one much but i remember i liked it.

Reply 24 of 72, by Targaff

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
sklawz wrote:

i notice that there are some 5.25" floppy versions for
the PC on ebay.

Or you could just try Ovine's retro remake.

Intel CC820 | PIII 667 | 2x128MB SDRAM | 3Dfx Voodoo 5 5500 @ Dell P790 | Creative SB PCI128 | Fujitsu MPC3064AT 6GB + QUANTUM FIREBALLlct10 10 GB | SAMSUNG DVD-ROM SD-608 | IOMEGA ZIP 100 | Realtek RTL8139C | Agere Win Modem

Reply 25 of 72, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
MaxWar wrote:

I think Quake was the first fps game to use no sprites at all.

Quake used 3 sprites - explosion, bubbles, and the occassional light globe. Ironically they had an enhanced sprite renderer with various types of sprites (Half-Life REALLY exploited this for making beams and huds)

apsosig.png
long live PCem

Reply 26 of 72, by Xenphor

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Well yes I would probably be more interested in Action/Action-Adventure type games (including FPS or Arcade Racing) that utilized 3D because those genres were what I played most on console. Unfortunately I never could get into Sims that much. Those Terminator shoots look very impressive indeed.

Reply 27 of 72, by swaaye

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Future Shock is decent indeed. It's pretty buggy though. I wish a company would make another Terminator game like that.

Unfortunately the Terminator universe has become rather convoluted since then.

Reply 29 of 72, by swaaye

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Games with ONLY Rendition support? I'm not sure. Most of the games that support it also support Voodoo and/or others. VQuake / VHexen2 only support Verite. 😉

Reply 31 of 72, by sliderider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Xenphor wrote:

So can Indy Car II be accelerated with other cards?

Sorry, the way I worded myself it probably sounded like IndyCar Racing II was only for Rendition cards. It is one of the games that is frequently mentioned in any discussion concerning the Rendition cards, not necessarily one that is a Rendition-Verite exclusive so that is what I meant by a showcase game.

Reply 32 of 72, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
swaaye wrote:

Games with ONLY Rendition support? I'm not sure.

Rebel Moon, which is notable for hardware accellerated colored lighting and 32-bit texturing on the PC platform in 1995

apsosig.png
long live PCem

Reply 33 of 72, by filipetolhuizen

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Don't forget SODA Off-Road Racing which also only supported the rendition verite for accelerated graphics. It would be nice if there were a Rendition wrapper...

Reply 34 of 72, by swaaye

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I like Grand Prix Legends. It's a better racing sim than IndyCar 2 and visually a lot better too. Voodoo and Verite support.

One day I will try Rebel Moon out....

Reply 36 of 72, by Zup

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

What about Syndicate Wars? Qualify as 3D environment?

Also, I think that Terminal Velocity was not really 3D. When you went inside a tunnel, it seems like you enter or teleport to another zone (same trick used in DN3D)... or at least I remember so.

I have traveled across the universe and through the years to find Her.
Sometimes going all the way is just a start...

I'm selling some stuff!

Reply 39 of 72, by F2bnp

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Zup wrote:

What about Syndicate Wars? Qualify as 3D environment?

Yep, I still think it looks very impressive and sets a great atmosphere even to this day.
You could also try EarthSiege which is kinda like Mechwarrior 2. No texture mapping but it's still impressive for 1993(?).