VOGONS

Common searches

Reply 20 of 37, by Hater Depot

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
sliderider wrote:

Please don't let that stop you, though, from explaining how the Rolling Stones are entitled to receive continuing payments for work they did once while software devs are not.

As pointed out above, the contracts in the two cases are different. And since you haven't seen the contracts, you don't actually know who is receiving royalties and who isn't. Obviously who receives what royalties is determined by market conditions and bargaining power/skill, not by what any of us personally thinks is morally right.

MusicallyInspired wrote:

This is huge for those 3dfx Win95/98-only games that don't work otherwise.

Is it known how they get them to work?

Korea Beat -- my cool translation blog.

Reply 21 of 37, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

How can I lose an argument you chickened out on? And as I wrote an argument with a brick wall is more fruitfull. You just seem to be full of it. Completely. And every thread you touch is poorer for it. This one is going to be another one...
But please, mods, before closing this one, just cut the parts belonging to slide out and put it elsewhere...

But to take your thinking further, every architect should get money from each new tenant?

Reply 22 of 37, by MusicallyInspired

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Hater Depot wrote:

Is it known how they get them to work?

From what I hear, they hex edit the game executables or some such thing.

Yamaha FB-01/IMFC SCI tools thread
My Github
Roland SC-55 Music Packs - Duke Nukem 3D, Doom, and more.

Reply 23 of 37, by sliderider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Dominus wrote:

How can I lose an argument you chickened out on? And as I wrote an argument with a brick wall is more fruitfull. You just seem to be full of it. Completely. And every thread you touch is poorer for it. This one is going to be another one...
But please, mods, before closing this one, just cut the parts belonging to slide out and put it elsewhere...

But to take your thinking further, every architect should get money from each new tenant?

How did I chicken out? The thread was locked and as I recall I was the last one to post in it before it was locked, so blame the mod that locked it.

Reply 24 of 37, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

see...

Windows 3.1x guide for DOSBox
60 seconds guide to DOSBox
DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper

Reply 26 of 37, by Leolo

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Is it worthwhile to go with a publisher?

I mean, the guy who created QDOS (Quick and Dirty OS) probably commited suicide when he knew of the billions of dollars that Bill Gates made thanks to his product.

What's the advantage of selling your rights to a publisher??

Reply 27 of 37, by Barry_Purplelips

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

You need big publishers that can put your stuff on the shelves. They also take very big risks with piracy and potentially mediocre sales. Without them, most people wouldn't even be able to make a penny.

Reply 28 of 37, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

if you are a single developer, you might get going without a publisher (see Jeff Vogel, Spiderweb games). If you are a company with a couple of people working on a game you might really need a publisher. Since GoG has mainly big titles where more than one person worked on, this is another issue which makes giving the devs some share on the titles even more unrealistic (who deserves the money? Only the ones programming it? Also the artists that did the graphics and music? What about the testers? the guy who wrote the documentation? The guy doing the layout of the documentation? the person that did all the office work, e.g. kept in contact with the publisher, the press, etc... - and what should their share be?)

Windows 3.1x guide for DOSBox
60 seconds guide to DOSBox
DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper

Reply 30 of 37, by VileR

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Leolo wrote:

I mean, the guy who created QDOS (Quick and Dirty OS) probably commited suicide when he knew of the billions of dollars that Bill Gates made thanks to his product.

the guy who created QDOS / 86-DOS was hired by Bill Gates to finish the first MS-DOS version, then spent many years as a MS employee... and he's still alive - running an IT company and happily racing Porsches (if wikipedia is to be believed)

but then you have the guy who created CP/M (and then lost the operating system deal for the IBM PC to Microsoft) - dead at 52 after a biker bar incident under "unclear circumstances"...

clearly, rock stars have nothing on those early OS developers.

[ WEB ] - [ BLOG ] - [ TUBE ] - [ CODE ]

Reply 31 of 37, by Malik

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Knock....knock....Hello? Are we still counting the downloads at GOG?

If yes, {

Let me know when the download counter reaches 5,999,999th download. I want to download the 6 millionth one!!

😁
}

5476332566_7480a12517_t.jpgSB Dos Drivers

Reply 32 of 37, by VileR

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

heh. It's gonna be just like a last-second eBay auction sniping, beefed up to the power of ten.

in fact, much like eBay sniping, someone with enough know-how could probably be writing a script right now to, uh, "gain an advantage" 😀

[ WEB ] - [ BLOG ] - [ TUBE ] - [ CODE ]

Reply 34 of 37, by MusicallyInspired

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

6 million downloads have passed. Unfortunately I missed the chance to be the 6 millionth download as I slept through it. But Broken Sword the Director's Cut is now for free for the next couple of days! Grab it now! The original also comes with it along with some HD wallpaper, avatars, the soundtrack, and manuals.

My Github

Reply 36 of 37, by BigBodZod

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Well that will not help me out, I already own Broken Sword 🙁

Oh well, time to check things out over at GoG then, maybe some other classics I can get instead 😀

No matter where you go, there you are...

Reply 37 of 37, by MusicallyInspired

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Already have the Director's Cut?

My Github