Common searches

SB 2.0 CT1350 CMS chips dumped

Topic actions

Reply 200 of 468, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Yes I had the same issues with digital speech. Sierra games would play part of one sample and then be silent. I mucked around quite a bit but concluded that the Sound Blaster with CMS wants its own PC.

My website with reviews, demos, drivers, tutorials and more...
My YouTube channel

Reply 201 of 468, by SquallStrife

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Mau1wurf1977 wrote:
carlostex wrote:

If i remove the OPL2 chip? What will work? You mean the CMS will work on 240h or you mean the SB 2.0 will work together with other cards?

Haven't tried on 240, but Prince of Persia will not run on a Sound Blaster with CMS chips unless you pull out the OPL2 chip.

There must be something odd about the SB2.0.

I have a SB1.5 with the retail CMS upgrade kit, and I'm pretty sure Prince runs just fine.

VogonsDrivers.com | Link | News Thread

Reply 202 of 468, by Great Hierophant

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I assumed the 2-pin VOICE header and the 2-pin FM header were output headers to be used with a CD-ROM interface card with a mixer. Does the CMS sound come out of either pin?

The problem with any Sound Blaster pre-Pro is that they sit on DMA1 and will not give it up. While the DRQ1 jumper can be removed, there is no corresponding jumper for DACK1. Thus the DMA is never truly freed. Only a Sound Blaster Pro or better with its fully reconfigurable DMA will solve the problem. If you obliterate the DACK1 trace from the ISA connector (scratch the trace with an X-acto knife for instance), then the problem should go away but your digital voice will not work until its reconnected.

There is nothing wrong with Prince of Persia 1.0 and the SB 2.0 as compared to the 1.0 or 1.5. If it detects an Adlib chip, it will play Adlib regardless of what you put on the command line. If you have a Sound Blaster, you will get digitized sound effects whether you like it or not. The music will be Adlib even if you indicate you want to use Tandy, Game Blaster or PC Speaker music.

http://nerdlypleasures.blogspot.com/ - Nerdly Pleasures - My Retro Gaming, Computing & Tech Blog

Reply 203 of 468, by SquallStrife

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I must have mis-interpreted what mau1wurf said, I thought he meant it didn't work at all on an SB2.0 with CMS.

But I guess he meant that it won't use the CMS portion while the AdLib portion is present.

Reply 204 of 468, by bristlehog

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

So, what about the others with no-rev CT1350B? Should we all buy USB programmers and follow carlostex's tracks, or will someone be so kind to take a burden of flashing NS GALs and selling them to the others like DonutKing did with Lattice ones?

Hardware comparisons and game system requirements: https://technical.city

Reply 205 of 468, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
SquallStrife wrote:

But I guess he meant that it won't use the CMS portion while the AdLib portion is present.

Sorry, yes that's what I meant.

I couldn't force it to play CMS just like Great Hierophant explained.

My website with reviews, demos, drivers, tutorials and more...
My YouTube channel

Reply 206 of 468, by badmojo

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
bristlehog wrote:

So, what about the others with no-rev CT1350B? Should we all buy USB programmers and follow carlostex's tracks, or will someone be so kind to take a burden of flashing NS GALs and selling them to the others like DonutKing did with Lattice ones?

I was wondering this too, and do they accept paypal? 😀

Reply 207 of 468, by SquallStrife

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I'm sure his cream-filled highness* would love to program your GALs for a nominal fee, once he's back from his diplomatic duties** in Europe.

* DONUT KING! GET IT! HAR HAR HAR!!! :P~~~~~

** holiday

Reply 208 of 468, by carlostex

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I could potentially do it, even though Donut King is a guy who already done it before and handles this stuff much better than i'll ever will. If he doesn't want to do it i'll try and do my best to help you guys out.

Keep this in mind though, for all of us who own vintage computer systems, it isn't a bad idea to own a programmer, i very much encourage it as all of us ould even build a database of our BIOS ROMS from our Video Cards and motherboards which can always be very handy. Some old EPROM's can be successfully replaced by newer EEPROM's for instance.

Reply 209 of 468, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

yeah a programmer is very handy, I have a willem3 one but unfortunately it does not support GAL/PAL chips :x
but for eproms it's just awesome!

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website

Reply 210 of 468, by DonutKing

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I'm happy to program anything for anyone, but I only have a stock of lattice GALs. If you send me the gal, EPROM, whatever I can program it for you. I won't be back home until July though.

You can get the G540 off eBay for $50 and program them yourself but it doesn't seem to work well on win Vista, 7 or 8. XP seems to be best.

If you are squeamish, don't prod the beach rubble.

Reply 212 of 468, by robertmo

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

be a school/uni teacher or just leave your job and get a new one after 2 months or start your own business and make vacations whenever you want 😀
you can also leave your job and start a new one whenever you want too 😉

Reply 213 of 468, by carlostex

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Better yet, be a corrupt politician, fill my pockets with tax payers money and put it all in a bank account on the Cayman Islands.

And best part is that i'll never go to jail even after being proved guilty... 😀

Reply 214 of 468, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
carlostex wrote:

Better yet, be a corrupt politician, fill my pockets with tax payers money and put it all in a bank account on the Cayman Islands.

And best part is that i'll never go to jail even after being proved guilty... 😀

I can confirm this works great 😜

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website

Reply 215 of 468, by DonutKing

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
carlostex wrote:

Dude 2 month vacations? I want your job...

This isn't normal for me, I had to pull a lot of strings to get it, and I haven't had holidays in over 2 years. Also my manager misread the date on my leave application form and didn't realise until I'd already booked flights 😀

If you are squeamish, don't prod the beach rubble.

Reply 217 of 468, by bristlehog

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Long story short, a G540 is coming my way. What NS chips exactly should I search for?

Hardware comparisons and game system requirements: https://technical.city