VOGONS

Common searches

SB 2.0 CT1350 CMS chips dumped

Topic actions

Reply 460 of 468, by scorp

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I opened my work under GPL3 on github, if somebody wants to contribute or to try it. Feel free
https://github.com/necroware/sbcms

Last edited by scorp on 2022-01-24, 09:14. Edited 1 time in total.

My Youtube channel Necroware

Reply 461 of 468, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
suntac wrote:
keropi wrote:

So does this mean that some hardware patching can be done to improve things?

Yes, exactly! Toss all Sound Blasters into trash and make a new card design from scratch 😁
However, we still like them somehow...

🤣 🤣 🤣
I was thinking something along the lines of un-grounding those SAA1099 pins, you've gone nuclear on it though 🤣

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website

Reply 462 of 468, by suntac

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
keropi wrote:
suntac wrote:
keropi wrote:

So does this mean that some hardware patching can be done to improve things?

Yes, exactly! Toss all Sound Blasters into trash and make a new card design from scratch 😁
However, we still like them somehow...

🤣 🤣 🤣
I was thinking something along the lines of un-grounding those SAA1099 pins, you've gone nuclear on it though 🤣

I just sometimes like to think out of the box 😎

Reply 463 of 468, by suntac

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
scorp wrote:

I opened my work under GPL3 on github, if somebody wants to contribute or to try it. Feel free

Just copy my code. Mine is already in the public domain, yours is infected by GPL3.

Reply 464 of 468, by scorp

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
suntac wrote:
scorp wrote:

Just copy my code. Mine is already in the public domain, yours is infected by GPL3.

I prefer not to start the license discussion, if you don't mind. I'd like only to add, that opening the code under GPL was the initial reason, why I did the whole thing. Anyway, thank you for the whole support and, I hope you don't mind, that I mentioned you in the "Special Thanks" part on the github page. By the way, I was playing around with IOCHRDY again and I get the best results on my card with the equations as they are. Unfortunately, probably with incompatibilities to some other revisions. I still hope, that one day someone will test my code and give me a feedback. As often, there is always place for improvement. I would like to quote keropi:

keropi wrote:

... unless you mean you want to tackle the problem yourself, then go ahead the sky is the limit 😀

Reply 465 of 468, by SirNickity

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Yeah, with it being licensed, I think I'm going to have to bow out as well. This kinda verges on paranoia, but... technically... if I download your code (whether I ever do anything with it or not), I can't just go figure it out myself and claim to have done so in a clean room. The solution is relatively simple (logically) -- it has to be -- and therefore we're going to arrive at similar (if not identical) solutions just because there aren't that many ways it can be done and still work. That puts me in a position where, legally, I could be infringing on the GPL if I ever publish any results of my own.

Granted since so much has been posted here, it's probably too late to claim ignorance. And the world does not need anything from me, since the solution is already available publicly. Still, the tendency for people to license every $%#@ thing, no matter how trivial, really complicates things. The GPL has its uses, and it could be argued that some software we have today wouldn't exist without it.. but this.. does not need that kind of protection.

Reply 466 of 468, by scorp

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
SirNickity wrote:

Yeah, with it being licensed, I think I'm going to have to bow out as well. This kinda verges on paranoia, but... technically... if I download your code (whether I ever do anything with it or not), I can't just go figure it out myself and claim to have done so in a clean room. The solution is relatively simple (logically) -- it has to be -- and therefore we're going to arrive at similar (if not identical) solutions just because there aren't that many ways it can be done and still work. That puts me in a position where, legally, I could be infringing on the GPL if I ever publish any results of my own.

Granted since so much has been posted here, it's probably too late to claim ignorance. And the world does not need anything from me, since the solution is already available publicly. Still, the tendency for people to license every $%#@ thing, no matter how trivial, really complicates things. The GPL has its uses, and it could be argued that some software we have today wouldn't exist without it.. but this.. does not need that kind of protection.

As I already told, I don't want to start the license discussion, because this topic is always a war, which nobody can win. In my case, I will not blame anybody for the violation of GPL in this case, because of the reasons you've told. However, GPL enforces you also to submit the modifications back to to the project. Most of the people will just take the code and burn it to the PAL without really thinking about single line of it, but if there is one guy out of ten in the wild, who cares, he will share his improvements with the project. Since there are many different revisions of the sound card out there, it is good to have such an opportunity. It is not always about taking, sometimes it is about giving back.