Common searches

SB 2.0 CT1350 CMS chips dumped

Topic actions

Reply 220 of 468, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

it seems there could be some more revisions of 1350B ... my card does not work with the GAL that carlostex sent me that was working on his "rev0" 1350B... CMS works but adlib/sb is dead...
here is a pic of my card with the working-on-other-card gal:

2u4owhj.jpg

meh... 😒

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website

Reply 221 of 468, by carlostex

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

The weirdest thing is that i tried a Lattice GAL and it works as well. So it might be that some non-REV cards work and others do not.

Keropi which DSP version do you have? I'm inclined to think your card has DSP V2.02... My non-REV CT1350B is DSP V2.01...

Reply 223 of 468, by carlostex

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

OK. I bet ALL REV cards have DSP V2.01, and ALL non-REV cards with DSP V2.01 should work just like REV cards. ALL DSP V2.02 cards will have the DEAD SB/AdLib problem.

We need to gather info all around here, basically owners of REV and non-REV cards must check their cards DSP version. I bet this has more to do with DSP version than anything else.

So while we thought for a long time that this upgrade would only work in REV cards this issue probably has nothing to do with the boards revisions per se but with some chip revisions. The culprit seems to be the DSP version.

User on Vintage computer forums with same issue:

http://www.vintage-computer.com/vcforum/showt … v0-CT1350/page8

Reply 224 of 468, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

just posted on vc forums, 2.02 is bad for home-made CMS 🤣

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website

Reply 225 of 468, by carlostex

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

OK so the original card that Chuck(G) got when he dumped the original code was a non-REV CT1350B right?

Plus does anyone know which DSP version that card have?

EDIT: Nevermind, i just put my nose on that thread and found.

This is the original card Cloudschatze sent to Chuck:
http://www.symphoniae.com/misc/ct1350b_a.jpg

I think i see a V2.01 DSP.

I don't think this is a coincidence.

Reply 226 of 468, by carlostex

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

All we need is someone with a V2.02 DSP CT1350B with the original CMS chips and hand it over to Chuck(G).

I bet the fuse map would be slightly different from the one we have right now!

Reply 227 of 468, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

^ Chuck(G) already has a 2.02 "rev0" 1350B card, I donated him my 2nd card a year ago or something

Reply 228 of 468, by carlostex

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Yeah, but what i meant was he needs one of those cards with the original CMS chips.

My theory is that Creative programmed different PAL's according to your DSP version. And the dumped code we got was from a DSP 2.01 card.

Reply 229 of 468, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

ah you mean the CMS chips...
my theory is that creative had different code in the GAL, Chuck(G) "emulated" this and it works in the majority of the cards but not all...

Reply 230 of 468, by carlostex

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I meant original PAL chip. The CMS-301's are irrelevant.

It would be interesting to see if Cloudschatze put his original creative PAL on a V.2.02 DSP card it would work or we would get the same dead sb/adlib. My bet is that we would get the same resulta with dead sb/adlib.

Reply 231 of 468, by bristlehog

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Oh crap. I have the 2.02 DSP too. Will see if I face the same problem.

Do you mean that by installing the chips into a 2.02 DSP CT1350B it turns into a Game Blaster (with PCM and OPL2 parts not working)? Do the muted parts still hold the respective resources (IRQ/DMA etc.)?

Reply 233 of 468, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I believe the sb/adlib parts hold their resources but are in a state of nirvana or something. They don't get auto-detected by software and they kind of "work"
Entering manually the SB options in Duke Nukem 3D setup you get to hear the "both channels" sfx test but individual ones sound VERY low and muffled beyond recognition.
Wolfenstein 3D and Alone In the Dark that I tested also, fail to recognise SB and have the options grayed out, no way to get sound out of them....

Reply 234 of 468, by bristlehog

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Will it be possible to switch between CMS and SB functionality by using CMSOFF jumper, or does one need to remove GAL and SAA chips instead?

Hardware comparisons and game system requirements: https://technical.city

Reply 236 of 468, by Cloudschatze

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
carlostex wrote:

It would be interesting to see if Cloudschatze put his original creative PAL on a V.2.02 DSP card it would work or we would get the same dead sb/adlib. My bet is that we would get the same resulta with dead sb/adlib.

I'd posted earlier that the original PAL works just fine on a v2.02 board... and was apparently mistaken. After double-checking tonight, I was provided with both CMS music and digital playback (albeit, not detected), but the OPL2 chip is missing-in-action, as others have reported.

Seems like the best course of action might be to broadcast that this upgrade is not compatible with the DSP v2.02 boards, and leave it at that.

Reply 237 of 468, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

^ good to know Cloudschatze , thanks for checking it
no more wasted time/money on 2.02 cards 😁

Reply 238 of 468, by carlostex

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I freakin' knew it!! Thanks Cloudschatze, that pretty much confirms what i thought when keropi reported my GAL was not working on his card.

DSP version is the culprit.

All we need is to find a DSP V2.02 card with an original PAL on it. If one day Chuck(G) can do the same, we will have the proper dumped code for the cards with 2.02 DSP.