Common searches

what is your computer "plan"

Topic actions

Reply 20 of 32, by ratfink

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

My plan is to try to avoid any more buying and selling as far as I can, and actually play games on the things I have built. I haven't quite shaken off the hardware bug though. There's inevitably a few items I would buy at the right price. And I have 2 computers and one empty case that I don't seem to need to cover my game-compatibility needs - mulling over what to do with them is my current "retro computing" activity.

Reply 21 of 32, by feipoa

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I once had IBM OS/2 Warp 4.0 setup on my 486. I got networking functional, but then I didn't know what to do with it.

I have reoccurring secret fantacies about becoming one of the world's last everyday users of OS/2 Warp 4.0. I guess we can add this to my computer plan list as one of the last retro initiates I'll ever undertake.

Plan your life wisely, you'll be dead before you know it.

Reply 22 of 32, by Malik

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
sliderider wrote:

My plan is to buy all the good stuff before the rest of you get it. Muahahahahahaha!

🤣

ratfink wrote:

My plan is to try to avoid any more buying and selling as far as I can, and actually play games on the things I have built. I haven't quite shaken off the hardware bug though. There's inevitably a few items I would buy at the right price.

That's exactly what I have in mind too!

5476332566_7480a12517_t.jpgSB Dos Drivers

Reply 23 of 32, by Stull

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Malik wrote:
ratfink wrote:

My plan is to try to avoid any more buying and selling as far as I can, and actually play games on the things I have built. I haven't quite shaken off the hardware bug though. There's inevitably a few items I would buy at the right price.

That's exactly what I have in mind too!

But the addiction isn't the old games, it's putting together old systems! 😁

Reply 24 of 32, by Cyberdyne

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I have the same adiction, my basement is full on boxes. I have 38 full featured old computers. Pluss some parts, PSUs and even Motherboards. And if someone offers me something for free or for few euros, i am sold 😁

I am driving my car 20km away tonight to get some 486 and Pentium boxes for free. I really dont know where to put them. My basement is full 😖

I am aroused about any X86 motherboard that has full functional ISA slot. I think i have problem. Not really into that original (Turbo) XT,286,386 and CGA/EGA stuff. So just a DOS nut.

Reply 25 of 32, by Pippy P. Poopypants

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Too much stuff, too little time. Just trying to build up my knowledge of UNIX right now and working/programming in such an environment, as an aside to finishing school. On a lighter note my main fascination is with older/obsolete non-x86 UNIX boxes (SGI workstations, Sun SPARCstations, etc.).

GUIs and reviews of other random stuff

Вфхуи ZoPиЕ m
СФИР Et. SEPOHЖ
Chebzon фt Ymeztoix © 1959 zem

Reply 26 of 32, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

At the moment my hardware hobby is completely "disabled" for the time being, it doesn't have my interest at the moment. No worries, it always comes back 😉

My plan for now is 3 Windows ME rigs in a LAN for those games that won't work properly on my newer LAN rigs.
My latest hardware building rush lasted me through the completion of only 2 of the required 3 rigs though, I posted about them in a thread I'm pretty sure you guys must've read once or twice.
Also plan to build at least 1 more 486, but for now all my AT plans are in the fridge.
I'm keeping all the AT cases safe and sound though, they'll go to the smelters only after I've perished MUHAHAHAHA!!!1

Ahem!
And anyway, it's too cold in the attic now to work in it properly.
I "might" simply install a second harddrive in my XP 2000+ rig with Windows XP and install ME onto that, I dunno yet

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!

Reply 27 of 32, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Tetrium wrote:

And anyway, it's too cold in the attic now to work in it properly.

Time to build a few P4 Prescott machines 🤣

Reply 29 of 32, by bushwack

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I'll have to wait and see how Skyrim plays before I drop cash for upgrades. 🤣

Ultimately I have had my retro rigs built for years now the way I want them, with maybe an equivalent part swap out for fun. Pretty much just get my kicks now from working on my "non-retro" rig.

Reply 30 of 32, by feipoa

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Tetrium wrote:

At the moment my hardware hobby is completely "disabled" for the time being, it doesn't have my interest at the moment. No worries, it always comes back ;)

It certainly comes and goes in waves.

Plan your life wisely, you'll be dead before you know it.

Reply 31 of 32, by Cyberdyne

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Thank god, my "hobby" is only 486 to Pentium III or Last ISA slot machine 😀

Because ISA slot is the golden hole for DOS compadibility... i can even run all my DOS stuff on a Core2Duo, but only if i am deaf.

No need to make a "retro" windows machine, because, all windows games that i played over the years, run on a XP perfectly. And my Core2Duo 8600 runs XP and 7 perfectly, so i do not need any intermediate computer.

I am aroused about any X86 motherboard that has full functional ISA slot. I think i have problem. Not really into that original (Turbo) XT,286,386 and CGA/EGA stuff. So just a DOS nut.

Reply 32 of 32, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
sgt76 wrote:

Pentium D....hotter than a very hot thing. Same chip Satan uses.

Mau1wurf1977 wrote:

Time to build a few P4 Prescott machines 🤣

LMAO @ you 2 😁
I'm not even sure if I even have a Preshott 😜

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!