VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by GarbageGamer

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I have been trying to remember the name of this game i used to play

If you guys can help that would be totally awesome. The game im trying to remember is from the mid 90s.

. I think it had *LAB* in the title
. From what i remember you were in a lab and you had to do puzzles, It also had a workbench area where you could mix Chemicals together and making volcano's, different color dyes things of that nature.
. It was in a first person perspective almost like a point and click game
. Was on CD-ROM
. There were characters you could talk to and help
. It had a little i think beaker or test tube in the corner of the screen that would talk to you and teach you about science

That is all i really remember.....🤣

I'm trying to find this game for mostly my niece whom im building a older windows 98 machine for her to play with (so she will stay off her parents laptop 🤣)

Thanks a lot

(ps. I know its not the Dr.Brain series of games)

Check out my website G33k-e.com *When its just not G33k-e enough*

Reply 2 of 14, by Davros

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Inventor Labs ?

Go inside the labs of Thomas Edison, Alexander Grahm Bell and James Watt. Explore their inventions and experiment on your own. The Labs are recreated in Quicktime3D. Actors play the parts of the 3 inventors and guide you through their experiments. You learn about things like the invention of the lightbulb, the steam engine and telephone. It has great 3D enviroments and neat activities for kids.

Guardian of the Sacred Five Terabyte's of Gaming Goodness

Reply 3 of 14, by GarbageGamer

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hmmm.... that's not it V_V..what makes it hard to remember is i never saw much of the box or title i just remember playing it...I don't think it was a big budget title but i do know there were multiple rooms, with fictitious creatures related to science and they all had a problem you had to solve....There was a Diner as well (not sure why 🤣) but it was one of thos where the guy who owned the lab was Missing and you pretty much take control of it....

Reply 4 of 14, by Joey_sw

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Dr.Sulphur's Night Lab ?
http://www.amazon.com/McGraw-Hill-Science-Sul … t/dp/B000TOVXQ2
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Dr-Sulfurs-Night-Lab- … e-/400298070577

Its edutainment game,
Published in 1996 by McGraw Hill
In CD-Rom media

-fffuuu

Reply 5 of 14, by GarbageGamer

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

OMG YES THATS IT THANK YOU I LOVE YOU SO MUCH (NO HOMO) 🤣 i have been looking for this game for many many years ♥♥♥♥♥♥ THIS GAME WAS SO MUCH FUN

Reply 6 of 14, by GarbageGamer

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Now the question is...does anyone have this game? 🤣 if you do i would love a ISO copy......

btw the game is abandonware

(seen here http://www.trademarkia.com/dr-sulfurs-night-l … b-75174058.html)

so i am totally in my right to ask for a copy 😁.....(and because idiots want like 50$ for this damn game.....it was awesome but not that awesome 🤣) i think i payed like 20$ back WHEN IT WAS NEW 🤣

Reply 7 of 14, by eL_PuSHeR

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Keep in mind that Abandonware usually equals "something that is illegal" in most countries. So it's ill-advised here...

Try checking some legit sources: McGrawHill company, eBay, gog, whatever...

Reply 8 of 14, by sliderider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
GarbageGamer wrote:
Now the question is...does anyone have this game? lol if you do i would love a ISO copy...... […]
Show full quote

Now the question is...does anyone have this game? 🤣 if you do i would love a ISO copy......

btw the game is abandonware

(seen here http://www.trademarkia.com/dr-sulfurs-night-l … b-75174058.html)

so i am totally in my right to ask for a copy 😁.....(and because idiots want like 50$ for this damn game.....it was awesome but not that awesome 🤣) i think i payed like 20$ back WHEN IT WAS NEW 🤣

Just because you paid for a game many years ago does not entitle to you a free copy if you no longer own the original.

Reply 9 of 14, by GarbageGamer

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

i find it amazing how tough people magically get on the internet 🤣. all i asked for was if someone had a copy of this *COMPLETELY ABANDONED GAME* because its so obscure no one has ripped it yet. I understand that its not the best idea to ask for software on a forum....I KNOW i see disclaimers all the time. But i did my research beforehand and what im asking for is 100% legal.

Feel free to ban or remove this post or whatever because at this point i don't give two shits....

*PEOPLE TO THANK FOR BEING HELPFUL AND NOT IDIOTS*

eL_PuSHeR and Joey_sw.....you guys are awesome 😁

Last edited by GarbageGamer on 2012-06-13, 02:35. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 10 of 14, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
GarbageGamer wrote:

i find it amazing how tough people magically get on the internet

Doesn't warrant wishing someone dead. It's ok that people can disagree with your views. Sticking to ones principles doesn't make them idiots.

The game is obviously available for purchase. So you can argue all you want in the end of they day you simply don't want to pay the price and pirate it instead.

Reply 11 of 14, by GarbageGamer

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

The game is obviously available for purchase. So you can argue all you want in the end of they day you simply don't want to pay the price and pirate it instead.

I know very well the game is still for sale....but not by McGraw Hill that is the key point here. The Division of McGraw Hill that made the game has been defunct for years. The people who sell the games online pocket 100% of that cash.

when thinking about it i am doing no different then the site GoG.com, They have 7 free games that you get when you sign up for there site. Every single game they GIVE AWAY for free can still be purchased online on amazon and eBay.

also its not pirating when the Licence, Copy write and the company doesn't even exist anymore......

Like i said in my last post i have done my research.......have you?

Reply 12 of 14, by collector

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
GarbageGamer wrote:
I know very well the game is still for sale....but not by McGraw Hill that is the key point here. The Division of McGraw Hill th […]
Show full quote

I know very well the game is still for sale....but not by McGraw Hill that is the key point here. The Division of McGraw Hill that made the game has been defunct for years. The people who sell the games online pocket 100% of that cash.

when thinking about it i am doing no different then the site GoG.com, They have 7 free games that you get when you sign up for there site. Every single game they GIVE AWAY for free can still be purchased online on amazon and eBay.

also its not pirating when the Licence, Copy write and the company doesn't even exist anymore......

Like i said in my last post i have done my research.......have you?

This thread is probably going to get locked soon, but you are making some broad assumptions with little verification. Just because the original company that developed or published a title no no longer exists does not mean that someone does not own the IP. If a corporation closes a division, all of the properties, including IPs go to the parent company. One of the more famous examples is Sierra. Sierra no longer exists, but Activision owns most of the Sierra IP. It is rare that property does not go to someone, whether the parent company or who ever bought the property in any sales to pay off creditors. The free titles that GOG gives are mostly games that have been freewared by the games' copyright holders. You can legally download a number of them from ScummVM's website.

And GOG pays royalties to the copyright holders for the games that they do sell. They do not keep 100% of the price. Just because an abandonware site says it is legal does not make it so.

Reply 13 of 14, by tincup

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

On the other hand the site GarbageGamer directed us to, LegalForce Tradmarkia, appears to be a legit service, and it indicates no statement of use currrently in effect for the game. While this doesn't mean the game is official legal freeware, at least the poster demonstrated the title is not a contested property as such.

This is a good example of a "grey area" game - neither claimed, nor granted freeware. How you choose to approach it is really up to you I would think - let your conscience be your guide. Since the big court ruling a few years ago establishing groundrules for software [especially older stuff], at this point I wouldn't sweat it too hard over anything that has languised for so long in such neglect and obscurity.

Piracy is one thing. Keeping the quickly fading flame of classic gaming going is quite another. Just my 2 cents...

Last edited by tincup on 2012-06-30, 01:41. Edited 1 time in total.