The ultimate Ultima 7 machine

Topic actions

Reply 160 of 166, by vvbee

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
idspispopd wrote:

I had a look into this. It doesn't seem intentional, the game just tries to enter and leave protected mode.
For the second sequence it is not so easy since "xor eax, eax" is a short way to set eax to zero which uses only 3 bytes. To set eax to 40000000h as necessary to disable cache we would need 6 bytes.

Thanks for the pointer. After setting the cache bit earlier, replacing xor eax,eax with mov ax,0 (if you want to use all 3 bytes) seems to suffice in mainmenu.exe, don't know about the rest. There may be exceptions etc.

Reply 164 of 166, by Paralel

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
badmojo wrote:

There's a motherboard hanging in my outdoor toilet with an SX20 on it...

I was just reading through this thread, and came across this and had a "WTF" moment. Are outdoor toilets a "common" things in Australia?

On an unrelated note, I can see why a 486DX2-40 is just about perfect. 30 FPS should be just about right.

Reply 165 of 166, by badmojo

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Yes the outdoor ‘dunny’ was big when my house was build, circa 1930. Don’t worry I’ve renovated since that was written, strictly indoor toilets only now.

This PC is still very much in use though - my youngest was playing Jill of the Jungle and TIM2 on it this morning in fact.

Life? Don't talk to me about life.

Reply 166 of 166, by Obiwan

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
boxpressed wrote:

Also, I tested with the external cache disabled (via BIOS setting). No difference.

And I consistently got the black screen, then time after the scene with the stone (before you even see the moongate). I even used the settings provided by the bootdisk.

I can bypass the black screen problem by hitting Esc during the intro, and I get taken to the menu. But I wonder if other animations later will end up hanging the game.

hi! I got the very same bug. I run a Pentium 90 with MS-DOS 6.2. My config.sys settings include FILE=40 et BUFFER=40. I use Moslo with the french version of Ultima VII. I've chosen the Roland MT-32 soundtrack and the SoundBlaster Pro voicing. I've got the Roland module and a Soundblaster 16 (CT2230). I have to say there are a Roland SCC1 and a Gravis Ultrasound next to the SB.

Interestingly I can bypass the issue by hitting ESC. Then if I reload the intro, everything go smooth. 😵 😐 Smartdrive does not change anything in my case. If I disable the SoundBlaster Pro the bug disapears. I think this is a DMA or an adress conflict. Or maybe I missed a patch...

Thanks for your replies!

PS/ Yes I know: The Guardian asking support, kind of f§§§§ fate.