Common searches

The ultimate Ultima 7 machine

Topic actions

Reply 20 of 166, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

Could be, but we are talking about ibm pc scsi drives (or amiga apparently 😉)

Windows 3.1x guide for DOSBox
60 seconds guide to DOSBox
DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper

Reply 22 of 166, by luckybob

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
ratfink wrote:

Mmm yeah, my old intellistation with two scsi hard drives used to sound like a jumbo jet starting up. It's true though that old apple scsi's seemed quiet. Were they 10krpm though?

10K? oh god no. more like 5400rpm. more than capable of saturating the isa bus. When I finishe REV 2.0 of my 386 it will have one of these hard drives. Mostly because the 10krpm 4gb drive i bought off ebay will not work on 50 pin cable. (works fine on 68) meh.

It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes.

Reply 23 of 166, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Origin games always benefited from SMARTDRV. I remember a reviewer complaining about the Installation time of Wing Commander 2 on his 386 machine.

With SMARTDRV it only takes a fraction of that time.

Reply 24 of 166, by Cloudschatze

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Built a similarly-intended, "Ultima 7" system a few years back...

AST33_s.jpg

It has a 486SX/33, which, as mentioned, seems to be the ideal speed. Audio is handled by a Sound Blaster Pro 1 and Roland MPU-IPC w/CM-32L. I did take things a bit further than necessary, perhaps, by expanding the memory to the full 32MB capacity, and writing a little batch file that copies the entire game in and out of RAM for disk-free play.

Reply 25 of 166, by NJRoadfan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

That AST looks awfully familiar..... Radio Shack used that same case for the Tandy Sensation II! Different motherboard though. Not surprising as Radio Shack was moving towards selling AST PCs at the time.

20120605_110631.jpg

Reply 27 of 166, by badmojo

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Cloudschatze wrote:

It has a 486SX/33, which, as mentioned, seems to be the ideal speed. Audio is handled by a Sound Blaster Pro 1 and Roland MPU-IPC w/CM-32L. I did take things a bit further than necessary, perhaps, by expanding the memory to the full 32MB capacity, and writing a little batch file that copies the entire game in and out of RAM for disk-free play.

Nice one, I like the disk-free play idea 😎

Do you remember having any trouble with the music becoming corrupted? I was in a cave and it started blipping and blopping; I figured it would go away with a re-start so ignored it and carried on for a while, saving as I went.

I re-booted the machine and loaded my game - still corrupted. Only starting a new game fixed it... so now I'm back at square one. 😒

It's not a hardware thing if a re-boot didn't fix it.

Reply 28 of 166, by pianoman72

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Cloudschatze wrote:

I did take things a bit further than necessary, perhaps, by expanding the memory to the full 32MB capacity, and writing a little batch file that copies the entire game in and out of RAM for disk-free play.

Interesting, I also hold 32mb of ram in my 486 pc. Before I'm thinking to try this method, does it make a notable difference, in terms of smoothness of game play?

I can assume, if nothing else, that the hard drive thrashing sound may not be overheard as much, with the game working in ram.

Thanks for your input.

Reply 29 of 166, by Great Hierophant

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
pianoman72 wrote:
Interesting, I also hold 32mb of ram in my 486 pc. Before I'm thinking to try this method, does it make a notable difference, i […]
Show full quote
Cloudschatze wrote:

I did take things a bit further than necessary, perhaps, by expanding the memory to the full 32MB capacity, and writing a little batch file that copies the entire game in and out of RAM for disk-free play.

Interesting, I also hold 32mb of ram in my 486 pc. Before I'm thinking to try this method, does it make a notable difference, in terms of smoothness of game play?

I can assume, if nothing else, that the hard drive thrashing sound may not be overheard as much, with the game working in ram.

Thanks for your input.

That sounds like you have made a RAM Disk. Consider the difference between 4-5MB/sec with a contemporary IDE drive and VLB controller and 133MB/sec of a 33MHz/32-bit bus. Loading games are by far the task that takes the longest, so loading the game off RAM should cut down the time tremendously.

http://nerdlypleasures.blogspot.com/ - Nerdly Pleasures - My Retro Gaming, Computing & Tech Blog

Reply 32 of 166, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

IMHO there should be an Exult build for DOS, quite frankly nowdays the original engine feels quite crappy to me. That's what keeps me away from playing the U7 games all these years...
Don't get me wrong, it was a feat back in the day but now that horrible scrolling makes me dizzy.
Same problem with U8, I played it back then with a Zenith 486/66+5428 and I don't touch it again because of the scrolling speed inconsistencies/motion

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website

Reply 33 of 166, by rgart

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Exult for dos..... Wow wouldn't that be great!

Badmofo: I have only just recently seen this thread. Your cases are always the best mate and I admire your dedication to build a box specifically for Ultima 7.

Serpent Isle is the best game I have ever played.

Smartdrv is definitely a MUST for Ultima 7

Reply 34 of 166, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

Exult also has horrible scrolling 😉
The game just works this way...
AFAIK in the early early days, Exult was ported to Dos 😉

Windows 3.1x guide for DOSBox
60 seconds guide to DOSBox
DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper

Reply 35 of 166, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

^ really? there is still horrible scrolling in Exult? but whyyyyyy?
😁

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website

Reply 36 of 166, by Gabucino

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Guys, you don't seriously mean smartdrv when you say "smartdrv", do you?..

smartdrv is the most basic of all caches, and it can't even be unloaded.

Norton SpeedDrive (SPEEDRV.EXE), that's all I'm going to say.

Reply 37 of 166, by Great Hierophant

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Could anyone point out a video showing Ultima VII running in a 486SX/DX? I want to see sample the mostly agreed-upon ideal speed.

http://nerdlypleasures.blogspot.com/ - Nerdly Pleasures - My Retro Gaming, Computing & Tech Blog

Reply 38 of 166, by NJRoadfan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

If you want to run Ultima 7 with working UMBs, find a UMB driver that unlocks shadow memory on your chipset like HIRAM.SYS or "The Last Byte Memory Manager 2.52a". You get Unreal mode friendly UMBs, and its faster since your machine isn't stuck in V86 mode while in DOS for other things.

Reply 39 of 166, by Cloudschatze

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Great Hierophant wrote:

Could anyone point out a video showing Ultima VII running in a 486SX/DX? I want to see sample the mostly agreed-upon ideal speed.

Here's an exceptionally crap-tastic video using my AST system mentioned above (486SX/33, RAMDrive):

http://youtu.be/K_YRY-nSI7Q

You'll notice that playing the game from RAM does not remedy the pauses while walking.

Enjoy! (or something...)