VOGONS

Common searches

Reply 240 of 301, by obobskivich

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Nice find on that Sony. It looks like it's designed for a video editing bay or similar. Does it have inputs for all of the speakers (e.g. if you have a surround decoder)? Years ago Dolby had a decoder standard that included "ceiling" surround speakers, and some decoders exist that will provide that feature to some extent (there isn't anything encoded for it explicitly, but equipment exists that can hook up to it). Would be interesting to see/hear it all hooked up (I've never actually seen/heard such a Dolby system though, so don't know if it's worth the hassle to hook up).

The RadioShack mixer could sit downstream from the Sony via its line-outs if you were using separate amplifiers - it would let you have a separate 2-channel setup alongside the surround sound system. Alternately it could mix multiple sources into the Sony (based on what I can see in pictures), if you have a lot of stereo sources that you need to mix. In theory you could rack them one on top of the other - some desks support that, or you can buy small rack modules that will sit on the desk/floor/etc to accomplish it.

Reply 241 of 301, by Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
retrofanatic wrote:
Just picked up a digital mixer to hook up all my MIDI equipment and to compliment all the other Sony components I have in my sta […]
Show full quote

Just picked up a digital mixer to hook up all my MIDI equipment and to compliment all the other Sony components I have in my stack.

This thing is amazing....it's a 'commercial grade' mixer that connects to a computer with USB and can be controlled by software as well as by manually adjusting front controls. It has a built in 150W x2 amp (and 200W x2 @ 4ohms), and it has all sorts of hook ups as well as video switching and even VGA (and of course- audio) switching between two computers.

I am planning on connecting my SC-88, SC-55, MT-32, MU50, SC-7, FB-01, and MT-300 to this mixer/amp. It supports surround sound if you connect amplifiers for the other speakers (1 for SUB and CENTER out and 1 for SURROUND L and R, and 1 other output is available for another set of speakers (in this case labelled ceiling speakers in the manual), and another for the option of just connecting an amp/receiver to it.

Here are some pics (I removed the metal rackmount 'ears' from the sides as I probably will not be mounting it in a rack)...

20140610_182506_resized_1.jpg
20140610_182557_resized_1.jpg

"for commercial use only"...🤣....I guess I better start a home based business before I use it 🤣

20140610_182752_resized_1.jpg

I am thinking of setting up one of my laptops as a dedicated controller for this...I wasn't planning on buying this but now that I have it, my plans for my overall setup has changed.

I just downloaded the manuals and software for this and apparently the software is designed to run on windows 95 all the way up to Vista 😀 , so that means I could finally make use of some of my old PII or PIII toshiba laptops I have stashed away and maybe just run the Win95 version (if I can get USB to work).

I have another mixer, but it is one of those 'top mount' DJ style thingys and I didn't know how it would fit with the rest of my system setup physically...

radio_shack_mixer.jpg

...but now that I have this rack mountable/standard component size Sony mixer, I can just stack it on top of my other components..and to boot, it matches all my components nicely since almost everything I have is Sony 😀 .

Nice "scroe"!

Never thought this thread would be that long, but now, for something different.....
Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman.

Reply 242 of 301, by retrofanatic

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman wrote:

Nice "scroe"!

Thanks

obobskivich wrote:

Nice find on that Sony. It looks like it's designed for a video editing bay or similar. Does it have inputs for all of the speakers (e.g. if you have a surround decoder)? Years ago Dolby had a decoder standard that included "ceiling" surround speakers, and some decoders exist that will provide that feature to some extent (there isn't anything encoded for it explicitly, but equipment exists that can hook up to it). Would be interesting to see/hear it all hooked up (I've never actually seen/heard such a Dolby system though, so don't know if it's worth the hassle to hook up).

Thanks...I looked up the Sony unit online and some stores were originally selling it for about $3000!! I think that I got pretty lucky (i got it for under $50)

I believe it is mainly intended for auditorium and/or small theatre commercial P/A setups because it includes two front proprietary sony ports for wireless microphone tuners and multiple XLR mic inputs at the back.

It has 2 sets of 5.1 inputs hence the seperate outputs for surround L and R, SUB, and CENTER and of course front L and R...so yes there are inputs for a DVD Player (for example) that has a 5.1 decoder.

I am mainly interested in having this system setup as just a 2 channel mixer for all my MIDI units but I think I may want to incorporate the rest of my stereo setup (including VCR's/MiniDisc/BlueRay/DVD/tape deck/etc.), so I will for sure want to have my 7.1 receiver included somewhere in my setup.

I also want to have my video processor/scandoubler incorporated somewhere in there as well --mostly to use for displaying output from my consoles and amiga/color computers/etc (that have RF/rca output) on a VGA LCD or preferably one of my CRT monitors.

quadscan.jpg
Filename
quadscan.jpg
File size
101.17 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception
obobskivich wrote:

The RadioShack mixer could sit downstream from the Sony via its line-outs if you were using separate amplifiers - it would let you have a separate 2-channel setup alongside the surround sound system. Alternately it could mix multiple sources into the Sony (based on what I can see in pictures), if you have a lot of stereo sources that you need to mix. In theory you could rack them one on top of the other - some desks support that, or you can buy small rack modules that will sit on the desk/floor/etc to accomplish it.

I was actually thinking the same or maybe reserve the Radio Shack mixer for another multiple pc system setup in another room which would include some Tandy 1000's and Color Computers (going with an all Radio Shack theme 🤣 )...but I most likely will have it sit downstream from the Sony as you mention. I am still thinking about it though...it's going to be a bit complicated since I do have so many stereo sources I would like to incorporate. I am currently working on a diagram to plan it all out.

I have seen some of those rack system desks with the rack on the bottom left or right of the desk and I think one of those may be ideal for me, or I may even build one myself and incorporate into a sturdy stereo cabinet I have. I actually have a lot of rack mount stuff and I may adapt some standard components I have into rackmount units, but I don't have much room for everything 😢 ....maybe one day when I move into a bigger place.

Reply 243 of 301, by ahendricks18

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
CAM00029.jpg
Filename
CAM00029.jpg
File size
269.61 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

hey guys,
Do you use just plain speakers with your PC's or do you have a more complex setup? I just put up a Pioneer SX-311R receiver under my (trash rescued) 22 inch monitor. It sounds great for playing MP3's and other audio files. Sure beats the monitor's built-in speakers! So what's your setup?

Main: AMD FX 6300 six core 3.5ghz (OC 4ghz)
16gb DDR3, Nvidia Geforce GT740 4gb Gfx card, running Win7 Ultimate x64
Linux: AMD Athlon 64 4000+, 1.5GB DDR, Nvidia Quadro FX1700 running Debian Jessie 8.4.0

Reply 244 of 301, by JayCeeBee64

User metadata
Rank Retired
Rank
Retired

(Deleted. No longer relevant anyway)

Last edited by JayCeeBee64 on 2019-07-07, 16:26. Edited 1 time in total.

Ooohh, the pain......

Reply 245 of 301, by Cloudschatze

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

studio_14_v.jpg
Roland DS-50A and DS-30A monitor pairs
Bose MediaMate powered speaker pair

CM110_v.jpg
Roland CM-110, 2.1 monitor system
Bose MediaMate powered speaker pair (laptop and PS3 only)

TL2rol_s.jpg
Altec Lansing ACS-400 powered speaker pair w/ACS-250 subwoofer

Reply 246 of 301, by konc

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I use some studio monitors on the main pc, currently a pair of M-Audio. Nothing special, but still way better than cheap computer speakers, I just can't stand the sound of them when playing music (or bad quality/compressed audio files, but that's something else). I followed this approach because I don't like the way even expensive computer speaker systems behave. In my opinion/ears they exaggerate on bass with ridiculous subs, while the surround speakers are insufficient. Of course this applies for properly listening to music, for games/effects/movies etc they probably offer a better overall experience for most users.

For old games I don't really care, I can happily use a laptop's speakers with dosbox for example.

Reply 249 of 301, by oerk

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

A Philips receiver to switch between my turntable, radio, and the three computers I use regularly, and either a pair of Yamaha Pianocraft speakers or AKG K240DF headphones.

And yes, computer speakers usually sound crappy. The better ones have exaggerated low mids (to compensate for a lack of real bass) and highs.

My setup isn't exactly Hi-Fi either, but I like to think it's several steps above the usual computer speakers.

Reply 251 of 301, by carlostex

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

My setup is fairly simple. A couple of modules, MT-32 and MU-15, a Behringher mixer to make up for all the sound cards i have in my system and that's it. Another module will come on my way soon. 😀

WP_20151002_001_zpsyy7uqsva.jpg

WP_20151002_002_zpsyjtsbwpm.jpg

Reply 253 of 301, by alexanrs

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Mine is a crappy self-built resistive mixer + a pair of nice Sennheisser wireless headphones (HDR 170) + a pair of old amplified speakers that came with my old P3's "multimedia kit" for the rare ocasions where I need speakers (I'm using headphones 99% of the time). Not fancy, but gets the job done. I'd like a better mixer, though.

Reply 254 of 301, by Cloudschatze

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
bristlehog wrote:

Cloudschatze, what's the black thing with VAIO inscribed on it?

That's the Sony "VaioStation." 😀

carlostex wrote:

Cloudschatze where's your MU100? In your wireless serial multiport setup video it is there. The Casio CSM-1 was there as well.

I moved the MU100 over to the "Final PhantaC" build several months ago, where it's also serving as that system's primary MIDI interface. With the CSM-1, the poor aesthetics of the equipment tower became bothersome. The wireless stuff was dismantled and put away as well.

I should probably take some new photos. Here's one from this morning that includes the MU100, looking stupid and out-of-place on top of the OptiPlex.

dell201510_s.jpg

Reply 255 of 301, by Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Haven't we had such thread already?

Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman wrote:
Vintage (1984) JBL 120Tis driven by vintage (1975) Sansui AU-7900. :) […]
Show full quote

Vintage (1984) JBL 120Tis driven by vintage (1975) Sansui AU-7900. 😀

The 120Tis. They sound flawlessly, although they need cosmetic restoration. Unfortunately I'm still too busy for it right now. Hopefully after 15th December.

jbl120Tisanscover_zps847179c6.jpg
frequency response: 35Hz - 27 KHz
sensitivity: 89dB/watt/meter
impedance: 8 ohms
woofers: JBL 128H-1 30cm cone
mid ranges: JBL 104 H 13cm cone
tweeters: JBL 044Ti titanium dome
max power handling capacity: 150 watts

The Sansui AU-7900. In contrast with the speakers, the amp is still in perfect cosmetic condition, but its speakers protection circuits needs serious overhaul.
sansuiau7900resized_zps18e9ef3b.jpg
power output: 75 watts rms per channel at 8 ohm
frequency response: 5Hz to 40kHz
total harmonic distortion: 0.1%

Anyway, if anyone just happen to have or spot a pair of JBL 044Ti spare tweeters, please PM me. 😉 No, my tweeters are fine, but a pair of spare tweeters are always nice to have.

Still using my JBL 120Ti's, but replaced the Sansui AU-7900 with Yamaha RX-V663 receiver.

Never thought this thread would be that long, but now, for something different.....
Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman.

Reply 256 of 301, by Stiletto

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Yeah, I tried a quick look for that thread last night and it didn't leap out at me. Anyone mind if I merge them? 😀

"I see a little silhouette-o of a man, Scaramouche, Scaramouche, will you
do the Fandango!" - Queen

Stiletto