VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by m1919

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

As an oldskool hardware junky, I regularly peruse ebay. I'm sure we have all come across some misidentified items on the site from time to time, but this one is hilarious.

The AMD Pentium 3 board.

It even comes with a Pentium 3!

Wait...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/gateway-pentium-3-mot … 3d#ht_743wt_214

theamdpentium3.jpg

theamdpentium32.jpg

theamdpentium33.jpg

theamdpentium34.jpg

What's the most entertaining misidentified piece of hardware you've come across?

Crimson Tide - EVGA 1000P2; ASUS Z10PE-D8 WS; 2x E5-2697 v3 14C 3.8 GHz on all cores (All core hack); 64GB Samsung DDR4-2133 ECC
EVGA 1080 Ti FTW3; EVGA 750 Ti SC; Sound Blaster Z

Reply 1 of 12, by luckybob

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

wow, a 650 in a crappy oem board... this should also be posted under the "hilariously overpriced auctions" thread as well....

However, i SPECIFICALLY look for these kinds of auctions. The person obviously doesn't know what he has, normal ebayers cant find it, and i get it for CHEAP. Thats how I got the ram for my V5 rig. i needed ddr-266 ecc/reg i found someone selling 4x 512mb kingston cas2 ddr-400 ecc/reg for $5 a stick! mostly because he had like 3 misspellings. needless to say I was pretty happy.

It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes.

Reply 2 of 12, by DonutKing

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

There was one I saw on ebay recently, an AWE64 with CD and instruction manual. The CD/manual were for an AWE64 but the card was obviously an AGP video card, probably a TNT/TNT2 or something by the looks of it.

If you are squeamish, don't prod the beach rubble.

Reply 3 of 12, by memsys

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I look around marktplaats.nl (a Dutch classified ads site) often and i have seen many , many ads about "486 pentium" .

Yesterday i found a bunch of ads from some moron who sells chipset heatsink as CPU coolers and a lot of stuff is not even labelled other then "3x AMD CPU" . He even expects to get €40 for 7 "unlabelled desktop memory modules" but that is where the laughing stops , because he has some retro stuff as well stuff like old CPU's (think 486 and pentiums and a ibm 6x86MX PR300) old RAM and AT power switches that look like he used blunt scissors to cut the wires off ...

In other word someone who does not know what the fuck they are doing and expect to make big $$$ by selling stuff that is likely to be broken due to mishandling and will be send to you in an ordinary envelope with the part wrapped up in toilet paper at best .

When i see idiots doing this i get the urge to strangle said idiot .

/rant

Reply 4 of 12, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
m1919 wrote:

The AMD Pentium 3 board.

That's not something Gateway actually put together, is it?

(Also, is there any Slot 1 processor that really requires such a massive heatsink? Considering it's taller than the processor itself, it seems a little useless.)

Reply 5 of 12, by m1919

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Jorpho wrote:
m1919 wrote:

The AMD Pentium 3 board.

(Also, is there any Slot 1 processor that really requires such a massive heatsink? Considering it's taller than the processor itself, it seems a little useless.)

The higher clocked Slot 1 P3s with the 133mhz FSB frequently came with large passive heatsinks when used in workstation and server applications.

Crimson Tide - EVGA 1000P2; ASUS Z10PE-D8 WS; 2x E5-2697 v3 14C 3.8 GHz on all cores (All core hack); 64GB Samsung DDR4-2133 ECC
EVGA 1080 Ti FTW3; EVGA 750 Ti SC; Sound Blaster Z

Reply 6 of 12, by luckybob

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

While not mis-identified. If you are looking for for something to resell...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/140809940434

The price is HIGH, but there are FOUR voodoo 1 cards in there, as well as a tseng 4000 by the looks of it. I'd almost get it for the off chance that ati card at the very top is an 850xt-pe agp.

Reply 7 of 12, by sliderider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
luckybob wrote:

While not mis-identified. If you are looking for for something to resell...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/140809940434

The price is HIGH, but there are FOUR voodoo 1 cards in there, as well as a tseng 4000 by the looks of it. I'd almost get it for the off chance that ati card at the very top is an 850xt-pe agp.

Yeah but it's being sold as 'for parts, not working'. It's not a bargain if you receive them and none of them work. You don't even have the option of returning them because the listing specifically states that they do not work.

I've been noticing that a lot on ebay recently. More and more sellers are putting 'for parts, not working' on their listings so they won't have to take them back if something goes wrong. I think this may be a form of self defense that sellers are engaging in to protect themselves from ebay's anti-seller policies and from buyer fraud. Once they have your money, that's it. No returns, no exchanges, no full or partial refunds. You knew what you were getting into before you made your bid or clicked the BIN button.

Reply 8 of 12, by luckybob

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

honestly, out of the last 3 "for parts" auctions i've won. I've only had ONE bad part out of maybe 30 items. People make sure they say "no returns" because its so easy for a buyer to just claim "omg my box didn't arrive!" I'm one of them! everything I sell now it "as-is".

Reply 9 of 12, by DonutKing

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Exactly, I'm selling stuff on ebay right now and I know it works fine, but I sell it as 'for parts or not working' simply so I don't have to deal with the buyer if it stops working 2 weeks down the track. I'm getting rid of stuff because I don't have time to fiddle with it, and I certainly don't have time to offer tech support on 20 year old motherboards.

I'm certain others must do the same thing because I've bought several things myself that were 'for parts or not working' and they worked fine... or maybe in worst case scenario, just needed simple repair like caps replaced.

If I was in USA I'd probably bid on those video cards.

If you are squeamish, don't prod the beach rubble.

Reply 10 of 12, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Also, giving a refund (if you really have to) is cheaper / less hassle then testing every item...

My website with reviews, demos, drivers, tutorials and more...
My YouTube channel

Reply 11 of 12, by jmrydholm

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

It has a Borg Cube for a heat sink...

"The height of strategy, is to attack your opponent’s strategy” -Sun Tzu
“Make your fighting stance, your everyday stance and make your everyday stance, your fighting stance.” - Musashi
SET BLASTER = A220 I5 D1 T3 P330 E620 OMG WTF BBQ

Reply 12 of 12, by kool kitty89

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
m1919 wrote:
Jorpho wrote:
m1919 wrote:

The AMD Pentium 3 board.

The higher clocked Slot 1 P3s with the 133mhz FSB frequently came with large passive heatsinks when used in workstation and server applications.

More than that too; many slower PIIIs and PIIs also used rather massive (and heavy) passive heatsinks, though those double-height ones are usually only seen on faster PIIIs and some Klamath PIIs. (especially the 300)

"passive" is a matter of opinion too, since many of these systems had big case fans positioned right next to the CPUs.