VOGONS

Common searches

Good DOS first person shooter recommendations

Topic actions

• This topic is locked. You cannot reply or edit posts.

First post, by Kerr Avon

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

First of all, sorry if this is in the wrong forum, or if this is a common question with a thread already devoted to it (I've looked, but couldn't find it), but I'm curious to know of any good DOS first person shooters that I haven't played.

See, for weeks I've been waiting for Carmageddon to be re-released, as it's been promised by the brilliant Good Old Games for a while now, so that I can play it in 3D mode reliably on my Windows 7 laptop, as it had always failed, for some reason the game has yet to be made available, but I found a link on another forum to:

http://atombomb.no-ip.org/blog/2010/12/10/how … igh-resolution/

which explains how to run Carmageddon (and the Splat Pack! expansion pack) on Windows 7 using DOSBox and nGlide, and it works great. Anyway, it's gotten me reinterested in running my old DOS games, and also to see what else I missed, as I got into PC gaming around 1996, so I missed many DOS classics. My favourite genre is first person shooter, and I already have Blood (very good, *much* better than Blood 2), and System Shock (not a FPS, it's an RPG/FPS, but very good indeed), but what else is there?

I know of course of Doom 1 and 2, Quake, Duke Nukem 3D, and Shadow Warrior, but I already play those using third party built Windows front ends, since they are all open source (well, I don't play Quake, as I've never taken to it, but the others are great).

I know there's Powerslave, but I've never tried that, is it worth playing? I never liked Wolfenstein 3D (I played Doom before that, which I think spoiled W3D for me), nor Rise of the Triad, though maybe I just never gave it enough of a chance. I think there was a DOS Star Trek FPS, was that any good? That reminds me of Dark Forces, I should track that down, as I think I liked that back in my early PC days.

What other good DOS first person shooters are there, and I take it they will all run on DOSBox? Thanks for any answers, and also to everyone who makes DOsBox, VDMSound (wish it worked on Windows 7, as it was great for XP), and Vogons so great for us retro-fans.

Reply 1 of 51, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I was just watching some entertaining videos on the subject.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yMH7QpcTVE0
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=12zGtbW9fis

Lots of newer stuff in there, to be sure, but lots of older stuff too.

I don't suppose Ultima Underworld or Shadowcaster would qualify?

P.S. Rise of the Triad is on sale at GOG at the moment.

Kerr Avon wrote:

I think there was a DOS Star Trek FPS, was that any good?

There is almost certainly a Quake or DOOM mod of some sort, but you are likely thinking of Voyager: Elite Force, a Windows game. Or possibly Klingon.

Last edited by Jorpho on 2012-09-12, 23:28. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 2 of 51, by vetz

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Some people like The Terminator: Future Shock released in 1995 from Bethesda and see it as an overlooked game.

Other classics are Rise of the Triads, Hexen, Redneck Rampage and Heretic. Though Hexen and Heretic are more or less Doom clones with just changed themes and weapons.

3D Accelerated Games List (Proprietary APIs - No 3DFX/Direct3D)
3D Acceleration Comparison Episodes

Reply 6 of 51, by Gemini000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

If you want something less mindless, System Shock is a definite candidate, though it's more of a first-person adventure than a shooter, even though you do indeed do a lot of shooting. ;)

Two of my favourites are Magic Carpet and Magic Carpet 2, although these games are kinda buggy. Avoid "Magic Carpet" and make sure you go for "Magic Carpet Plus" as it has far fewer bugs. Magic Carpet 2 however, it's hard to know when it will glitch out. Sometimes it takes seconds, other times I can go for hours before anything happens. :P

If you want something more retro, Ken's Labyrinth and Blake Stone are a couple good ones that don't get mentioned often.

Or if you want something that plays well with a joystick and runs the risk of making you motion sick, Descent and Descent II are very challenging, fun, and allows movement and turning in every direction that doesn't involve 4-or-more-dimensional travel. :D

--- Kris Asick (Gemini)
--- Pixelmusement Website: www.pixelships.com
--- Ancient DOS Games Webshow: www.pixelships.com/adg

Reply 8 of 51, by Malik

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Some more choices :

Corridor 7:

corridor7_screenshot3.jpg

Witchaven:

witchaven.png

Cyclone :

cyclone2.gif

Terminator Future Shock :

779_49e89330a4c07.jpg

Terminator Skynet :

936full-the-terminator%3A-skynet-screenshot.jpg

Out of these, Terminator Future Shock and Terminator Skynet are the only ones of these that are true 3D. These are the actual games that have first incorporated true mouse-look. Even Quake which came later, had only a "pressed"-mouse-look (You have to keep pressing a button for free mouse look in the original game.)

The game engine used in Skynet is the same as in Future Shock. Skynet is the sequel but came with a higher 640x480 resolution option. Skynet users, who also have Future Shock, can upgrade the Future Shock's graphics to hi-res, using Skynet's Install program.

5476332566_7480a12517_t.jpgSB Dos Drivers

Reply 10 of 51, by swaaye

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Should be noted that Future Shock and Skynet are pretty unstable.

There's also Terminator Rampage and an even older The Terminator. The latter is similar to the open world GTA games. Rampage is essentially a giant maze keyhunt.

Reply 11 of 51, by m1919

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
swaaye wrote:

Should be noted that Future Shock and Skynet are pretty unstable.

There's also Terminator Rampage and an even older The Terminator. The latter is similar to the open world GTA games. Rampage is essentially a giant maze keyhunt.

Dunno, in my experience with Future Shock and Skynet, they ran pretty stable.

Crimson Tide - EVGA 1000P2; ASUS Z10PE-D8 WS; 2x E5-2697 v3 14C 3.8 GHz on all cores (All core hack); 64GB Samsung DDR4-2133 ECC
EVGA 1080 Ti FTW3; EVGA 750 Ti SC; Sound Blaster Z

Reply 12 of 51, by Kerr Avon

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

****ing browser just crashes, losing the post I'd nearly completed 🙁

Anyway, thanks for so many great answers. There were some great FPSs in those Youtube videos (I love No One Lives Forever 2, Timesplitters: Future Perfect (my favourite cross-platform game of the last console generation) and Singularity, and I'll be looking out for Shogo and Strife, especially), but most of them were for Windows, so I'm mostly familiar with them.

I don't think I've ever tried Redneck Rampage, Hexen, Heretic, or Cybermage, or any Terminator FPS games (though I *might* remember one, I'm not sure), so I'll try those too, thanks. I'll also try Cyclone,

I've not played the Terminator games, but if I can find them I will, plus Witchhaven, and Cyclone. I think I played Corridor 7 in the 90s, and didn't like it much.

BTW, if you like good FPS games with some well done (for a FPS game, at least) melee action, then if you have access to an XBox 1 then you really should play Breakdown (shown in that linked Youtube video). It's flawed, short, and has the worst difficulty curve of any game I've ever played (it goes from moderate to very hard, to above hard to almost impossible then down to OK, etc in a very short time, it's like it wasn't properly tested before release, like so many other games), but it's good points *far* outweigh the bad - it's fun, has an interesting storyline, atmospheric, does the whole first person viewpoint thing better than almost any other game you can think of, and when you do manage to get anywhere in the game you do feel like you've accomplished something. Sadly, it sold badly, and there was never a sequel.

Incidentally, on the subject of Breakdown, the game is a first person subject about conspiracies, aliens, human soldiers trying to silence you, you drive vehicles, and it's all very Half-Life like. And you also have a female sidekick who is very capable of looking after herself in a gun fight, called Alex. And in Half-Life 2 you have a female sidekick who is very capable of looking after herself in a gun fight, called Alyx. There are more similarities between HL2 and Breakdown, but I can't remember as it's been ages since I played them. I know that in both games you NEVER leave the first person point of view, and you have to run from an attacking helictopter, have friendly scientists and hostile human soldiers. Breakdown came out the year before Half-Life 2, by the way, so if there was any copying, it wasn't by Breakdown's creators.

Reply 13 of 51, by swaaye

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
m1919 wrote:

Hmm.. I think the most troublesome aspect is the Skynet-upgraded Future Shock option. In SVGA mode I could not get it to stop locking up after a few minutes play. I eventually discovered that it works better in a Win9x DOS box (or DOSBOX) than in pure DOS! It often crashes during transitions from indoor/outdoor areas though.

Reply 14 of 51, by m1919

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
swaaye wrote:
m1919 wrote:

Hmm.. I think the most troublesome aspect is the Skynet-upgraded Future Shock option. In SVGA mode I could not get it to stop locking up after a few minutes play. I eventually discovered that it works better in a Win9x DOS box (or DOSBOX) than in pure DOS! It often crashes during transitions from indoor/outdoor areas though.

I've had the transition crashes before, but only remember having experienced them using DOSBOX.

Crimson Tide - EVGA 1000P2; ASUS Z10PE-D8 WS; 2x E5-2697 v3 14C 3.8 GHz on all cores (All core hack); 64GB Samsung DDR4-2133 ECC

Reply 15 of 51, by RoyBatty

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I collect and enjoy FPS games from the DOS era, so let me list some here for you which may like or may not like. Also, some of them are NOT easy to buy and are quite rare, but some are readily available on ebay or amazon.

XS, Ashes to Ashes, Eradicator (Very underrated!), Chasm: The Rift (also underrated!), Cybermage, Necrodome, Shadow Caster, Blood, Shadow Warrior, Cyclones,The Fortress of Dr.Radiaki, William Shatner's TEKWAR, Rex Blade, Hexen, Heretic, Strife, HacX, Blake Stone Aliens of Gold, Blake Stone Planet Strike, Spear of Destiny, Powerslave, Redneck Rampage (and expansions and sequel), NAM (Napalm), WWIIGI, Terminator (2029, Rampage, Future Shock and Skynet), Assassin 2015, Wrath of Earth, Magic Carpet+Hidden Worlds (or Magic Carpet Plus), Magic Carpet 2, Dark Forces, Alien Trilogy, Turok...

I could go on, there is very many but these are the better known ones. Some are good, some are not. It's up to you to decide what you like. There is a ton of win95/98 era FPS games too, just ask if you want a list of those (Some may have snuck into the above list).

Reply 16 of 51, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Seconding Eradicator. It was one of the few "OMG THINKIN FPSES" that flew under the radar prior to Half-Life. It even had its own "RC-XD" item. There's also a rare character archetype for a fps game too :P

Necrodome has the unfortunate problem of bad controls. I really wanted to like it for the classic Pelletier atmosphere in a post-apocalyptic setting, but the turning and combat were atrocious.

apsosig.png
long live PCem

Reply 17 of 51, by m1919

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Heh, TEKWAR. I only remember playing the demo. So bad it's good 🤣.