Common searches

Social Media Goodness

Topic actions

First post, by F2bnp

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

With all the buzz the last couple of years on social media and social networking, how about posting each other's facebook/twitter/flickr/whatever_the_hell account just for fun.

I currently only use facebook, which btw has made all my MSN Messenger contacts disappear in the last year 🤣

Last edited by F2bnp on 2017-09-07, 17:00. Edited 2 times in total.

Reply 1 of 35, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I used to twitter. Steam's probably the closest to social media i'm on now. Unfortunately my habit of uploading screenshots costed me some friends 🙁

Last edited by leileilol on 2012-09-13, 23:27. Edited 1 time in total.

apsosig.png
long live PCem

Reply 2 of 35, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

IRC

quakenet #GOG
freenode #DOSBox

That's all I use for "social media" unless you count email or forums.

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 6 of 35, by rfnagel

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I'm on Facebook at http://www.facebook.com/RFNagel , and Steam at http://steamcommunity.com/id/RichNagel .

Rich ¥Weeds¥ Nagel
http://www.richnagel.net

Reply 7 of 35, by bushwack

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I have had a computer forever and also have a smart phone but I do not do any form of social networking. But like leileilol, I am always on Steam weather I'm playing or not. You can find me under the VOGONS community.

Reply 10 of 35, by VileR

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Social networking gives me the creeps. Literally... opened a facebook account years ago, and I could count on both hands the times I've logged on since then. It's like some nameless, unpseakable perversion of the internet that should never have happened.

[ WEB ] - [ BLOG ] - [ TUBE ] - [ CODE ]

Reply 11 of 35, by Joey_sw

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

what i don't like from facebook is their url-tracking.

Which pretty much any sites who recieve payment from facebook will report what url you visited on their sites to facebook server, similar to google analytics which i also hates.

So, I block any access using proxomitron,
and add the facebook https' certificate into Un-Trusted publisher list on every browsers in my computer.

-fffuuu

Reply 12 of 35, by MaxWar

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

steam... STEAM... STEAAAMM!!! I HATE STEAM!!! D:
I WISH EA WOULD BUY VALVE AND THE RESULTING MONSTROSITY WOULD SELF DESTRUCT FOR THE GOOD OF MANKIND!!!

sry about the caps, i had to vent some steam.

FM sound card comparison on a Grand Scale!!
The Grand OPL3 Comparison Run.

Reply 14 of 35, by swaaye

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I do forums a lot, and some Steam chatting occasionally, but Facebook (et al) is just not for me. I am in the VOGONS Steam group. But I really don't do much online gaming so I'm rarely logged into Steam chat.

VOGONS IRC would be interesting. VOGONS video conference retro experimentation is what we need 🤣

Reply 15 of 35, by Malik

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Yep, facebook and so on is not for me too. I tried it, but soon got put off by reading the friends of friends complaining about how many times they got constipated in that week, or what they just had for dinner, or that they accidentally got their mouth slashed while crunching on a crab.

Mostly the teens are crazy about all this stuff, but I have seen my middle-aged staff going googoo-gaga over it too.

I almost cringe nowadays when local newspapers write how many people "liked" the article..or that so many have "condemned such and such in fb and that there have been so so many followers"....

5476332566_7480a12517_t.jpgSB Dos Drivers

Reply 16 of 35, by MaxWar

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I also hang around forums alot. They have the advantage of bringing people with a given interest group together and they are persistent and searchable. Unlike other social medias, when you write information or something useful in a forum it can then be found and help anyone who is looking for it. I found so much valuable info by reading forums. Therefore i think forums are the best social media for the geeky types.

I do have a FB account but i spend more time on forums.

FM sound card comparison on a Grand Scale!!
The Grand OPL3 Comparison Run.

Reply 17 of 35, by vetz

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Sometimes I have to smile of some users on this forum. This thread kind of reminds me of the earlier Windows 8 thread. Facebook and anything newer than Windows XP seems to be the devil of innovation for some.. 😜

I'm on everything 😀

3D Accelerated Games List (Proprietary APIs - No 3DFX/Direct3D)
3D Acceleration Comparison Episodes

Reply 18 of 35, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
vetz wrote:

Sometimes I have to laugh of some users on this forum. This thread kind of reminds me of the earlier Windows 8 thread. Facebook and anything newer than Windows XP seems to be the devil of innovation for some.. 😜

I'm on everything 😀

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kHFnc_eV4Lg

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 19 of 35, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

Sometimes I have to smile of some users on this forum. This thread kind of reminds me of the earlier Windows 8 thread. Facebook and anything newer than Windows XP seems to be the devil of innovation for some..

Yeah, I'm kind of wondering about this as well. On the one hand I understand that facebook is evil in some kind of way but on the other it is great for some stuff, especially coordinating real social life through facebook and doodles but also in keeping in touch or getting back in touch with people I haven't seen in a long time.
There are also people in my friends for whom facebook and co is the devil himself. Same guys who would have killed the inventor of telephones. On their travel from Germany to some place past the US the made sure to not go via the US to not have their fingerprints recorded...

So, I'm on facebook and irc (#exult, #pentagram,#nuvie, #xu4 and #dosbox which is kind of #vogons), not much else. Forums I have left mostly behind since they no longer cater my interests. Except this one (and of course the Exult forum;))

Windows 3.1x guide for DOSBox
60 seconds guide to DOSBox
DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper