VOGONS

Common searches

Reply 60 of 89, by fillosaurus

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

@Stojke
Way to go, neighbor!

Y2K box: AMD Athlon K75 (second generation slot A)@700, ASUS K7M motherboard, 256 MB SDRAM, ATI Radeon 7500+2xVoodoo2 in SLI, SB Live! 5.1, VIA USB 2.0 PCI card, 40 GB Seagate HDD.
WIP: external midi module based on NEC wavetable (Yamaha clone)

Reply 61 of 89, by JayCeeBee64

User metadata
Rank Retired
Rank
Retired

(Deleted. No longer relevant anyway)

Last edited by JayCeeBee64 on 2019-07-26, 16:38. Edited 1 time in total.

Ooohh, the pain......

Reply 62 of 89, by bushwack

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Lately I've been getting into older black and white shows like Twilight Zone & The Outer Limits and movies like Forbidden Planet. Even though I'm over 40 this media was before my time and is somewhat intriging and "new" if you will. I figure it's something like a younger person into retro gaming. Maybe. Or my Fallout 3/ NV addiction is spreading to other parts of my brain. 🤣

Reply 64 of 89, by bushwack

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
d1stortion wrote:
bushwack wrote:

Or my Fallout 3/ NV addiction is spreading to other parts of my brain. 🤣

Screw that Bethesda butchered mess. 🙁

Huh? Problem?
This is how I play my Fallout 3. 😁
fallout3_ws.jpg

Reply 65 of 89, by mr_bigmouth_502

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
bushwack wrote:

Lately I've been getting into older black and white shows like Twilight Zone & The Outer Limits and movies like Forbidden Planet. Even though I'm over 40 this media was before my time and is somewhat intriging and "new" if you will. I figure it's something like a younger person into retro gaming. Maybe. Or my Fallout 3/ NV addiction is spreading to other parts of my brain. 🤣

I think you've hit the nail on the head. Oftentimes it's a lot more fascinating to do a little digging and learn about some old obscure games/bands/movies/whatever than it is to simply go with what's new and what's popular. 😁

Last edited by mr_bigmouth_502 on 2013-05-10, 02:02. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 66 of 89, by m1so

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

You people are right about peer pressure when it comes to ~15 year olds through. I know tons of people that age who say how awesome Crysis/latest Call of Duty/GTA IV is, even through they never actually played those games and only have shitty laptops with integrated graphics where the most "up to date" game is GTA: San Andreas (awesome game btw imho).

I managed to make some of these friends interested in retro gaming through. Most of them actually played those games when they were little kids, they just forgot.

Reply 67 of 89, by d1stortion

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
bushwack wrote:
d1stortion wrote:
bushwack wrote:

Or my Fallout 3/ NV addiction is spreading to other parts of my brain. 🤣

Huh? Problem?

I would get motion sickness from that 😁
Give me FO2 over "Oblivion in wasteland" any day...

Reply 68 of 89, by NJRoadfan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
kao wrote:

The worst possible thing a game can do is to not only be boring to play, but have nothing technically interesting. One of my favorite examples is the old Sharedata Wheel of Fortune game for the PC, C64, and Apple II. Aside from being shovelware of the worst kind, the audiovisuals are so elementary that it looks almost like it was written in BASIC.

Was that the one with the tiny blob that took forever to walk across the screen and was supposed to be Vanna White? The later GameTek versions on the consoles was much better. Sharedata also had a pretty crappy version of Classic Concentration that took forever to load on my Apple IIc.

Reply 69 of 89, by Lololipop

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Yup, my son only plays retro games. It may come as a surprise, but its true. I love sitting down and playing Lemmings with him.

Genesis does what Nintendon't!

Reply 70 of 89, by bushwack

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
d1stortion wrote:
bushwack wrote:
d1stortion wrote:

Huh? Problem?

I would get motion sickness from that 😁
Give me FO2 over "Oblivion in wasteland" any day...

Oh your one of those people 😵 I loved Oblivion and I love Fallout 3 even more. I played FO2 back in the day and it didn't keep my attention while I loved Arcanum while most people didn't. Guess since I didn't have any expectations F3 wasn't a let down, and I sure wouldn't call it butchered, I think your playing it wrong. 🤣

To get back on topic, my son is 17 and plays retro games as much as the new stuff. But it might be different though, if I didn't have so much old gaming around that's easily accessible for him.

Reply 71 of 89, by CPX7700

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I'm 18 and I enjoy new and old FPS games, Unreal Tournament is probably my all time favorite, but Call of Duty is fun too. I like Unreal Tournament because I have never owned a PC that couldn't run it. Every version of Windows from 95 to 8 runs it great (even NT 3.51 works well with it).

Reply 74 of 89, by mr_bigmouth_502

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
CPX7700 wrote:

I'm 18 and I enjoy new and old FPS games, Unreal Tournament is probably my all time favorite, but Call of Duty is fun too. I like Unreal Tournament because I have never owned a PC that couldn't run it. Every version of Windows from 95 to 8 runs it great (even NT 3.51 works well with it).

The only times I've ever experienced problems running UT have been on laptops with speedstep/cool n' quiet enabled, and this one oddball desktop with an Athlon 64 x2 (again, with CnQ enabled). Unfortunately, as a result of this one of my friends refuses to give UT a proper chance because his old laptop wouldn't cooperate with it. 😜 The strange thing is that he would probably enjoy it if he gave it a chance, because we used to play Quake 3 and tons of other old PC games all the time.

About running it on NT 3.51, I've seen screenshots of it, but I've never actually watched it "in action". How well does it run? Do any of the settings need to be set a certain way?

Reply 75 of 89, by CPX7700

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I can't be sure exactly how well it runs on NT 3.51 because I was using VirtualBox with a generic VESA driver in software renderer mode, but it seemed to run at a high framerate but with stuttering. I am almost positive it is the VM's fault though, because I did not have a proper graphics driver. I'm sure you could run it fine on an actual computer, but NT 3.51 doesn't support Direct3D or Glide as far as I know, so you could only use software rendering or possibly OpenGL. I don't think any decent 3D cards support NT 3.51 so you would be stuck with software rendering. Supposedly, Quake 3 Arena works too. I had to copy IMM32.DLL to my System32 folder (a trivial task) and it seemed to start up fine. I could have played online, but most online servers require a external anti-cheat program only supported by Windows 2000 or later. As for UT itself, I did not have to change any settings, since it was already running in software mode. The SpeedStep problem you mentioned is weird because it does not happen on my quad-core Athlon II computer with Windows 8.

Reply 76 of 89, by bushwack

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
CPX7700 wrote:

I used to be a semi-hardcore Ut2004 player and I couldn't ever get Win7 to play the game velvety smooth like XP. With Win7 there is a strange jittery-ness that drives me crazy. The only way I will play the game is in XP, I have a nice NEC Diamondtron I won't play UT without either.

Reply 77 of 89, by d1stortion

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I may know what you are talking about; UT2004 always had that stuttery, jittery feel to it when moving, regardless of hard- and software, it's the same with XP. I can't remember how it was on a CRT ages ago though. It's as mysterious to me as the annoying mouse lag in Unreal, which I once made a thread on.

Reply 78 of 89, by bushwack

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Under XP and with a CRT i have absolutely no stuttering or lag with 2004, I've always had plenty of horsepower to play the game with, anything under 60fps I would adjust my visuals accordingly.

Can't play the game game with a LCD at all, I get that stuttering and blurriness even under XP.

Reply 79 of 89, by d1stortion

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Well what I don't get is: LCDs were more or less the only kind of display that you could buy for the PC in 2004 so why did they make it like this? And of course it's one of those things where you can't find any information on at all.