VOGONS

Common searches


XBox One unveiled

Topic actions

Reply 101 of 125, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Ha that's funny. I didn't think of the MT-32, but it reminded me of Bang and Olufsen designs 😀

My website with reviews, demos, drivers, tutorials and more...
My YouTube channel

Reply 103 of 125, by fillosaurus

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Member

This is so "Oh, we so sorry you did not eat our s..t we tried so hard to make you swallow, so, we are going to spice it a bit and remove the offensive content of our burger."
Is it McMicrosoft or what?
While Sony is like "Welcome to our sushi, is same good sushi you enjoyed before, with a bit of more tasteness in it"
SmallSoft realized they were screwed and turned the cart around. Whoever came up with those stupid ideas like full time internet connection and one time only re-sell will be hanged by the balls. Which is good for him. I, personally, would have burned him at the stake.

Voodoo box: Celeron 800 MHz, 512 Mb SDRAM, Voodoo 3 3000 AGP, 80 Gig Seagate, Yamaha OPL3 SAx 718+NEC XR 385, SoundBlaster Live!, NEC USB 2.0 PCI card.
WIP: external midi module based on NEC wavetable (Yamaha clone); VLB 486

Reply 104 of 125, by SKARDAVNELNATE

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

While we believe that the majority of people will play games online and access the cloud for both games and entertainment, we will give consumers the choice of both physical and digital content.

Translation: People realized that an all digital future gives the corporations too much power. So they were forced to halt their plans to deny people a choice between digital and physical.

Now is Kinect still spying on people for the CIA or are they hoping the DRM loosening will make people forget about that?

Reply 105 of 125, by BigBodZod

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
SKARDAVNELNATE wrote:

Now is Kinect still spying on people for the CIA or are they hoping the DRM loosening will make people forget about that?

Unfortunately folks have short memories 🙁

No matter where you go, there you are...

Reply 106 of 125, by SKARDAVNELNATE

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
BigBodZod wrote:
SKARDAVNELNATE wrote:

Now is Kinect still spying on people for the CIA or are they hoping the DRM loosening will make people forget about that?

Unfortunately folks have short memories 🙁

Perhaps that was the plan all along and the DRM was just misdirection.

Reply 107 of 125, by BigBodZod

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
SKARDAVNELNATE wrote:
BigBodZod wrote:
SKARDAVNELNATE wrote:

Now is Kinect still spying on people for the CIA or are they hoping the DRM loosening will make people forget about that?

Unfortunately folks have short memories 🙁

Perhaps that was the plan all along and the DRM was just misdirection.

Well the tin foil cap and the conspiracy nut in me would agree but I have to think that MS really wanted to try to go the all digital media way on this one and were trying to force the issue.

I personally love my Steam account and have spent way too much when they have their giant Summer and Winter sales 😜

No matter where you go, there you are...

Reply 108 of 125, by Malik

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Microsoft's Xbox One buyers still need to fork out an extra 100 bucks for the compulsary kinect camera which intrudes the privacy furthermore, compared to Sony's PS4.

First the so-called return of the Start Button - and it's the most half-assed, mockery effort by M$ (which is not the Start Menu anyway) - in Windows 8, and now the removal of One's DRM.

As long as there are people who will buy Xbox One no matter what, as evident by comments in multiple forums even when the DRM thing was on full-swing, no rational reasoning will deter them.

Will Microsoft make a U-turn again in it's decision to make the kinect a compulsary option? Most unlikely.

5476332566_7480a12517_t.jpgSB Dos Drivers

Reply 109 of 125, by Lololipop

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Newbie

PS4 looks so much better. That crap where you have to be signed in once every 24 hours and no used games is ridiculous.

Genesis does what Nintendon't!

Reply 110 of 125, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

heh
http://www.ghacks.net/2013/06/19/microsoft-ax … ed-game-policy/

I'm sure people will go running back safely to the arms of their proprietary XBOX console that is now just as restrictive as the one before it.

DOSBox Compilation Guides
DosBox Feature Request Thread
PC Game Compatibility List
How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Running DRM games offline

Reply 111 of 125, by sliderider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
DosFreak wrote:

heh
http://www.ghacks.net/2013/06/19/microsoft-ax … ed-game-policy/

I'm sure people will go running back safely to the arms of their proprietary XBOX console that is now just as restrictive as the one before it.

It's too little, too late. What stops them from re-activating these "features" in the future once they have already lured millions of users into buying them?

PS4 is a more powerful system, is going to undercut Microsoft on price and Sony has already announced that the price of 1st party games will remain at $59.99. PS4 is sounding like a better deal every day.

PS4 to be $100 less than XBox One at launch

http://www.guardian.co.uk/technology/2013/jun … rice-used-games

Yeah, you can get the XBox One for $299 with a two year commitment to XBox Live!, but if you aren't big on playing online then the Live! subscription is a worthless and expensive add on so $399 for PS4 with no online commitment comes out the better deal.

Reply 113 of 125, by bucket

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Newbie

Last week: "Removing DRM and online are impossible! These features are vital to the operation of the XBox One!"

So am I to believe the XB1 is now less capable than it was? What happened to those awesome cloud features that REQUIRED an internet connection? Are they taking that back?

Reply 114 of 125, by sliderider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
bucket wrote:

Last week: "Removing DRM and online are impossible! These features are vital to the operation of the XBox One!"

So am I to believe the XB1 is now less capable than it was? What happened to those awesome cloud features that REQUIRED an internet connection? Are they taking that back?

It seems we've heard this from Microsoft before, like when they swore blind that Internet Explorer couldn't be unbundled from Windows 95 until an independent software engineer brought a cracked copy of Windows 95 into court during the anti-trust trial with IE removed.

Reply 116 of 125, by mr_bigmouth_502

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I'm going to continue boycotting the Xbox One until it isn't mandatory to have it connected to the internet or a kinect in order to use it.

Reply 117 of 125, by sliderider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
mr_bigmouth_502 wrote:

I'm going to continue boycotting the Xbox One until it isn't mandatory to have it connected to the internet or a kinect in order to use it.

They've already ditched the internet requirement, but one connection to the internet will be required to flash the ROM to remove the DRM crap. Apparently, they've already made too many of them in preparation for the launch to reprogram them at the factory. Kinect will still be bundled with it, though. That's one more reason for me not to buy one. I don't have a Kinect now for the 360 and none of the games for it makes me want to own one. The PS4 launch titles look better than the XBox One's launch titles, too. I think I'm going to be doing a pre-order for PS4 sometime in the next week.

Reply 118 of 125, by SKARDAVNELNATE

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
sliderider wrote:

Apparently, they've already made too many of them in preparation for the launch to reprogram them at the factory.

There will be revisions and new builds after the first run of hardware failures. Hopefully those will be entirely connection optional.

BTW, what's the new system's equivalent of the Angry Eye of Death?

Reply 119 of 125, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

http://cathodetan.blogspot.com/2013/06/xbox-o … ally-timed.html
http://pastebin.com/TE1MWES2
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=598291

DOSBox Compilation Guides
DosBox Feature Request Thread
PC Game Compatibility List
How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Running DRM games offline