What game are you playing now?

Topic actions

Reply 3980 of 5933, by chrismeyer6

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
DosFreak wrote on 2022-04-11, 10:05:

I don't playing walking Sims but I thought Firewatch was good.

For Fallout 3 and New Vegas make sure you play it with Tale of Two Wastelands.

I fully concur a Tale of Two Wastelands just makes the experience so much better than just playing the games separately.

Reply 3981 of 5933, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I think TTW requires Steam or GOG versions of the game? I have GFWL DVD GOTY versions for both. I actually hadn't considered how to install them, to be honest.

Retronautics: A digital gallery of my retro computers, hardware and projects.

Reply 3982 of 5933, by chrismeyer6

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

What are the requirements?
TTW requires a clean Fallout 3 and Fallout: New Vegas installation. They cannot be modded at all. The installer supports the Fallout 3 Retail, Steam, and GoG Game of the Year Editions and the New Vegas Steam and GoG Ultimate versions (the Bethesda.net version is not supported, due to containing altered files). All DLC is required. English only. That means North American and Western European releases patched to their latest versions. _lang.esp translations will break the game.

This is from the TTW website you'll be just fine with your retail box games.

Reply 3985 of 5933, by BEEN_Nath_58

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
chrismeyer6 wrote on 2022-04-11, 15:50:

Not sure. I own the GOG versions but I checked steam and at least is the US there both available to buy

Looks like there's a region lock in Fallout 3 and NV on Steam while on GOG there's no such lock. I wonder why it's such, Reddit also confirms this.

previously known as Discrete_BOB_058

Reply 3988 of 5933, by BEEN_Nath_58

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
RetroGamer4Ever wrote on 2022-04-11, 23:42:

GOG is DRM-free and has offline installer packages. It is my preferred platform for classic game purchases.

I wish to do GOG payments but they haven't enabled local payments in my country and my bank doesn't provide international transactions so I still can't enjoy DRM free glory.

Reply 3989 of 5933, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
BEEN_Nath_58 wrote on 2022-04-12, 07:34:

GOG is DRM-free and has offline installer packages. It is my preferred platform for classic game purchases.

I wish to do GOG payments but they haven't enabled local payments in my country and my bank doesn't provide international transactions so I still can't enjoy DRM free glory.

I think GOG do paypal though, no? Do you have local PayPal in India?

Retronautics: A digital gallery of my retro computers, hardware and projects.

Reply 3990 of 5933, by gerry

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

fallout 3 with all the add ons is fun! broken steel is a 'must' in my view for level cap and the feel of continuity. others are fun, though anchorage feels a bit like a different game and point lookout - while extensive and having fun main plot - seems somehow 'diluted' compared to the core game environment. Planning on playing new vegas soon

Reply 3991 of 5933, by Kerr Avon

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Yes. GOG is my digital store of choice, too, because of their anti-DRM stance.

Reply 3992 of 5933, by buckeye

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Messing around with the ray traced mod for Serious Sam First Encounter. Looks sweet but mouse look is too
glitchy so I usually get smeared, worth a look anyways.

Asus P5N-E Intel Core 2 Duo 3.33ghz. 4GB DDR2 Geforce 470 1GB SB X-Fi Titanium 650W XP SP3
Intel SE440BX P3 450 256MB 80GB SSD Radeon 7200 64mb SB 32pnp 350W 98SE
MSI x570 Gaming Pro Carbon Ryzen 3700x 32GB DDR4 Zotac RTX 3070 8GB WD Black 1TB 850W

Reply 3993 of 5933, by BEEN_Nath_58

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
appiah4 wrote on 2022-04-12, 07:51:
BEEN_Nath_58 wrote on 2022-04-12, 07:34:

I think GOG do paypal though, no? Do you have local PayPal in India?

I created PayPal for this reason only. And then PayPal says I can't add money to my wallet, but use PayPal to process transaction from bank through it. Used this method but still doesn't help.

Reply 3994 of 5933, by gedbag

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I'm replaying the original Half-Life. It's interesting, I've played this game countless times on modern hardware running at high res and high frame rates but somehow it took me playing it on older hardware to really appreciate what they were doing back then. It somehow still feels impressive, while when running it on a modern system it becomes obvious that it's rudimentary by todays standards.

Reply 3995 of 5933, by Namrok

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Well, I beat the Secret of Monkey Island.

I'm kind of blah about it. The characters were goofy and fun. Insult sword fighting lived up to it's legendary reputation. Solving the puzzles in Part 1 was fairly fun and intuitive for me. After that things went off the rails rather quickly.

I remember when I was a kid, and I was playing Zork: Grand Inquisitor, all of a sudden Zork Logic kicked in for me, and I was solving puzzles left and right. That never happened for me in the back half of Monkey Island. I'd get stuck, think I had tried everything, then give up and read a hint guide. At that point I either got mad because I had tried the solution and it didn't work (like getting a certain bottle of grog in Part III), or my heart immediately sank because I didn't even know that was a thing I could do (like talking to inventory items). Or maybe it was the structure of Part II and III versus Part I. In Part I I had three different tasks I could approach more or less independently. If I got stuck on one, I could make progress in another. After that, things get very linear, and if I'm not solving the problem directly in front of me, I'm not doing anything.

Maybe it's just me. I'm old now. My brain has ossified by 2 decades of formal logic in my job. Maybe if I'd tried to play Zork: GI today, the Zork Logic that clicked for me as a kid would have been forever out of my reach as well.

Win95/DOS 7.1 - P233 MMX (@2.5 x 100 FSB), Diamond Viper V330 AGP, SB16 CT2800
Win98 - K6-2+ 500, GF2 MX, SB AWE 64 CT4500, SBLive CT4780
Win98 - Pentium III 1000, GF2 GTS, SBLive CT4760
WinXP - Athlon 64 3200+, GF 7800 GS, Audigy 2 ZS

Reply 3996 of 5933, by Shreddoc

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I haven't played any PC games lately. Just lots of arcade and console stuff. Exploring different systems, in between tweaking and fixing and breaking (sometimes in that order).

Started watching some of the NES Tetris champs. Those guys are really good (obviously). Heartening to see young people interacting with such an old machine. But boy. After watching that, one sure feels like a stupid sloth, after coming back to reality and trying to play Tetris myself. Compared with what those guys are doing, it feels like duhhh, slow motion mode, and hands made of soft bananas.

Namrok wrote on 2022-04-13, 12:57:

Well, I beat the Secret of Monkey Island.

I'm kind of blah about it. The characters were goofy and fun. Insult sword fighting lived up to it's legendary reputation. Solving the puzzles in Part 1 was fairly fun and intuitive for me. After that things went off the rails rather quickly.

I find the genre to be a strange paradox. A beautiful genre we all appreciate the heck out of, for obvious reasons ....and which very few of us could effectively play, if left in a room alone with no guide and no prior knowledge.

Reply 3997 of 5933, by TheMobRules

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Strange... I never found any of the puzzles in MI to be illogical, I think I would finish the game much faster if I first played it as an adult rather than as a 13 year old as I did back then, especially with the english language not being a barrier anymore. The only one I remember being stuck on for a long while was the one where you have to use the magnetic compass to grab the key from LeChuck's room. A friend told me the answer to that one and it was one of those "how didn't I think of that?" cases, especially considering it tells you about the compass being magnetized every time you try to use it.

But other than that, I don't recall any major roadblocks in Pt. III, just some challenging puzzles due to intricate solutions involving items/locations found all around the island. At least nothing of the "use roast beef slice on nuclear reactor console" bullshit of lower tier adventure games. Talking to the head may not be the most obvious option, but it seemed like a natural thing to try as it looks very "alive" when the cannibals give it to you.

Reply 3998 of 5933, by ratfink

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Haven't managed to play anything for a few years now. I buy a few games on GOG from time to time, and I have a to-do list of partially-completed games and ones i want to replay that hasn't shifted for at least 15 years (I count myself as still playing them...). These days I just dabble a bit and then go and do something else instead...

Reply 3999 of 5933, by dr_st

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
ratfink wrote on 2022-04-13, 23:31:

Haven't managed to play anything for a few years now. I buy a few games on GOG from time to time, and I have a to-do list of partially-completed games and ones i want to replay that hasn't shifted for at least 15 years (I count myself as still playing them...). These days I just dabble a bit and then go and do something else instead...

Very similar to my situation. Occasionally I do play a new game (or an old game that is new to me), but that is an exception.

https://cloakedthargoid.wordpress.com/ - Random content on hardware, software, games and toys