Topic actions

Reply 4660 of 5931, by Joseph_Joestar

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
xcomcmdr wrote on 2023-01-04, 12:54:

@Joseph_Joestar:

Even at the time (2000), DX1 looked like a 1998 game. The New Vision mod is worth it even for new players. It's "only" updated visuals, but it makes the game look much better. Which is a must have for a 23 years old game.
It's far more easier on the eyes, especially without those rose tinted glasses.

You'll get no disagreement from me on the graphics "quality" of the original Deus Ex. 😀 The blocky characters in particular are very jarring nowadays. As you say, they were behind the curve even back then.

I still think it's best to experience the game in its original state for the very first play through, and apply mods/tweaks on any subsequent runs. But that's my approach to any game, not just Deus Ex. To each their own, of course.

PC#1: Pentium MMX 166 / Soyo SY-5BT / S3 Trio64V+ / Voodoo1 / YMF719 / AWE64 Gold / SC-155
PC#2: AthlonXP 2100+ / ECS K7VTA3 / Voodoo3 / Audigy2 / Vortex2
PC#3: Athlon64 3400+ / Asus K8V-MX / 5900XT / Audigy2
PC#4: i5-3570K / MSI Z77A-G43 / GTX 970 / X-Fi

Reply 4661 of 5931, by liqmat

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Ensign Nemo wrote on 2023-01-04, 08:12:

I fired up Deus Ex Human Revolution for a second time. Great game, but I still prefer the first. It also is a pain to get running well on Windows 10.

Deus Ex: HR was one of the few games I've played all the way through to the end without any major time gaps. Great game. I do intend to play through it again with the GOG version. One thing I never liked about its original look is the gold/orange/yellow(ish) (whatever color it is) screen filter the entire game went through. From what I understand, the digital release removes that. I also ran into projects trying to restore that. To each their own, but I never found it very visually appealing.

Reply 4662 of 5931, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

For those interested in running the Steam ver of Deus Ex HR on XP you can do so with SmartSteamEmu or Goldberg.
Note that with Goldberg you'll either need to use an old goldberg version, the goldberg fork or the OneCoreAPI ws2_32.dll and ws2_base.dll files along with the goldberg steam_api.dll file.

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 4663 of 5931, by Ensign Nemo

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
appiah4 wrote on 2023-01-04, 10:23:
Ensign Nemo wrote on 2023-01-04, 08:12:

I fired up Deus Ex Human Revolution for a second time. Great game, but I still prefer the first. It also is a pain to get running well on Windows 10.

I also play flight sims year round. Been playing IL-2 1946 and Rise of Flight.

I have the first game on my backlog. Should I go for the vanilla game or the Director's Cut?

I'm not sure if you're asking about the original or Deus Ex HR. For the original, I've never encountered any game breaking bugs that require modding. As someone else mentioned, there is the New Vision mod if you want the original experience with better graphics. My last playthrough was with GMDX. If you aren't a purist, it would be fine for a first playthrough.

For Human Revolution, it's a bit trickier. The community seems split on playing the original vs the director's cut. The cut fixes the boss battles a bit, which is good because they were really unpopular. IIRC, they weren't even made by the team that made the game, but outsourced. I assume this was done to please the publisher. Another thing about HR is that the art designer was heavily inspired by renaissance art and includes a lot of gold and yellows. This was toned down in the director's cut. Some people prefer the change, while others prefer the original art.

The director's cut also includes the DLC, but the community is also of mixed opinion about it. Some people argue that it helps the story, but some find that it hurts the pacing and makes your character a bit OP.

Reply 4665 of 5931, by xcomcmdr

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Ashes 2063

Just started it. I'm digging the Mad Max aesthetic, and the John Carpenter-ish music... The gun fights are really powerful.
Can't wait to talk to people instead of killing them, though.

Reply 4666 of 5931, by BetaC

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I have once again fallen in to the Guild Wars 2 trap. I've been doing nothing but logging in to farm rewards for a while, but something in h=my head told me to actually start playing once more. But hey, I got the key to get in to old Lion's Arch, which is very, very nice.

ph4ne7-99.png
g32zpm-99.png
0zuv7q-6.png
7y1bp7-6.png

Reply 4667 of 5931, by chrismeyer6

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
BetaC wrote on 2023-01-05, 06:29:

I have once again fallen in to the Guild Wars 2 trap. I've been doing nothing but logging in to farm rewards for a while, but something in h=my head told me to actually start playing once more. But hey, I got the key to get in to old Lion's Arch, which is very, very nice.

Me and my wife have been playing for almost 3 years now and we've really been enjoying it. We're really glad that we've jumpped ship from WOW. The GW2 community is just super friendly and helpful which makes the game alot more fun as well. EOD has been an absolute blast were both really close to getting our siege turtles.

Reply 4668 of 5931, by gerry

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
xcomcmdr wrote on 2023-01-04, 21:51:

Ashes 2063

Just started it. I'm digging the Mad Max aesthetic, and the John Carpenter-ish music... The gun fights are really powerful.
Can't wait to talk to people instead of killing them, though.

this looks and sounds great, imagine if it emerged in 1996!

Reply 4669 of 5931, by BetaC

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
chrismeyer6 wrote on 2023-01-05, 13:09:

Me and my wife have been playing for almost 3 years now and we've really been enjoying it. We're really glad that we've jumpped ship from WOW. The GW2 community is just super friendly and helpful which makes the game alot more fun as well. EOD has been an absolute blast were both really close to getting our siege turtles.

I’m happy to hear that. I sometimes forget that new people can enjoy the game, but that’s on me for being max masteries with a decade old account 🤣. I only ever see people at the end of everything, or starting out, never in between.

ph4ne7-99.png
g32zpm-99.png
0zuv7q-6.png
7y1bp7-6.png

Reply 4670 of 5931, by liqmat

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I was sucked into Dungeons & Dragons Online for quite awhile back in 2006. I absolutely loved that game, but unfortunately not many of my friends did at the time. I liked the fact only the cities were open public hubs, but most of the quests were limited to a party of six in instanced dungeons. It felt more like an online RPG rather than a massive online player mess. Have no idea what it's like nowadays, but a lot of fun memories with that one.

Reply 4671 of 5931, by chrismeyer6

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
BetaC wrote on 2023-01-05, 17:59:

I’m happy to hear that. I sometimes forget that new people can enjoy the game, but that’s on me for being max masteries with a decade old account 🤣. I only ever see people at the end of everything, or starting out, never in between.

It's really been great we have just a ton of fun. I did play GW1 back when it first came out and that still holds alot of fond memories. With how much we've been playing and enjoying the game we're excited to see it's future.

Reply 4672 of 5931, by BetaC

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
chrismeyer6 wrote on 2023-01-05, 19:14:

It's really been great we have just a ton of fun. I did play GW1 back when it first came out and that still holds alot of fond memories. With how much we've been playing and enjoying the game we're excited to see it's future.

I'm probably going to be giving the first game a play sometime soon, mostly just to give myself context for a lot of the stuff I missed out on.

ph4ne7-99.png
g32zpm-99.png
0zuv7q-6.png
7y1bp7-6.png

Reply 4673 of 5931, by gerry

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

i started Oblivion with a no faq no guide approach, so i have no idea what anything is!

it looks great, especially when first out of the sewers - but from here on i plan to not immediately do quests but just to see if i can find a place to stay and 'make a living' for a while

Reply 4674 of 5931, by RandomStranger

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
gerry wrote on 2023-01-06, 09:51:

i started Oblivion with a no faq no guide approach, so i have no idea what anything is!

it looks great, especially when first out of the sewers - but from here on i plan to not immediately do quests but just to see if i can find a place to stay and 'make a living' for a while

Awesome! That's how all first time experiences should be. No faq, no guide, no mods.

sreq.png retrogamer-s.png

Reply 4675 of 5931, by chrismeyer6

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
BetaC wrote on 2023-01-06, 08:20:
chrismeyer6 wrote on 2023-01-05, 19:14:

I'm probably going to be giving the first game a play sometime soon, mostly just to give myself context for a lot of the stuff I missed out on.

Definitely give GW1 a try it's a total blast and it still has a very active player base.

Reply 4676 of 5931, by newtmonkey

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Wasteland 2
I'm still enjoying this, but some cracks are starting to show. I loved the turn-based tactical combat at first, but now I dunno. All combat encounters inside map areas seem to occur at fixed locations (I am not a fan of this in most RPGs), and so far I'm just fighting a bunch of gangs. Combat is pretty quick, but takes a little too long for what it is. I have to admit that I miss the random combats with absolutely crazy enemies from Wasteland 1, even if the combat system in that game was really not very good.

It's possible that the area I'm in has soured me a bit on the game (Highpool). It's a pretty dull map with just some ammo crates to discover, and you just fight gang after gang. Hopefully the game will introduce a bit more variety soon.

Reply 4677 of 5931, by Ensign Nemo

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
RandomStranger wrote on 2023-01-06, 11:33:

Awesome! That's how all first time experiences should be. No faq, no guide, no mods.

For RPGs or strategy games, I always look up a few guides first. I understand why people like going in blind, but my backlog is so huge that I don't want to end up with a bad build that makes me start over. I just think of guides like bootcamp. Soldiers don't go to war untrained, so I just look at it like that. Also, I try to use a hybrid of different builds or strategies from different guides. Makes me feel like it's more personalized that way.

Reply 4678 of 5931, by RandomStranger

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Ensign Nemo wrote on 2023-01-06, 20:05:
RandomStranger wrote on 2023-01-06, 11:33:

For RPGs or strategy games, I always look up a few guides first. I understand why people like going in blind, but my backlog is so huge that I don't want to end up with a bad build that makes me start over. I just think of guides like bootcamp. Soldiers don't go to war untrained, so I just look at it like that. Also, I try to use a hybrid of different builds or strategies from different guides. Makes me feel like it's more personalized that way.

I think that spoils the first experience. That makes it feel like you/I replay someone else's playthrough rather than our own. I also have a very long backlog, but I feel like I didn't experience the game properly if I wouldn't go in blind.

For the same reason I avoid save scumming in RPGs especially. It literally stands for role playing game. You supposed to play the role of a character you made up in their head, independent, put yourself in their shoes and progress through the game assuming that role. If that character fails a skill check or didn't end up with the most optimal solution for something, that's up for a subsequent playthrough to address, not an quick load. That's why I think the majority of people play RPGs wrong and that gives a negative feedback for RPG developers. Most people just do a Good and maybe a bad and lastly a neutral playthrough, and choose the options that go in that direction instead of thinking up a character and staying internally consistent with that.

For example it's really a stretch to call Skyrim an RPG, since it has no real RPG system that locks you into the "R" in the RPG. Yet on my first playthrough, I played as an escaped argonian slave from Morrowind, who always helped his own kind, and was very much against everyone hurting his kind and above all, hated the dunmer. That character whenever possible made the choice that benefit dunmers the least and argonians the most regardless of his own benefit, always carried paralysis poisons only so he could get out of a fight against an argonian without killing. That's why he joined the imperials in the civil war, because even though they wanted to kill him out of negligence, the stormcloacks treated argonians poorly in general. That is how one plays a role.

sreq.png retrogamer-s.png

Reply 4679 of 5931, by clueless1

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I think there's room for both types of players for RPGs. I tend to play like Ensign Nemo, but I don't think RandomStranger is wrong for playing the way he does.

I have very little time and a huge backlog. I want to enjoy the story, create my own party, and just have fun with as little frustration as possible. Life has enough frustrations, I don't need more from a form of entertainment. Yet I can understand how someone can get entertainment from something that frustrates me. Cheers!

The more I learn, the more I realize how much I don't know.
OPL3 FM vs. Roland MT-32 vs. General MIDI DOS Game Comparison
Let's benchmark our systems with cache disabled
DOS PCI Graphics Card Benchmarks