What game are you playing now?

Topic actions

Reply 2440 of 5852, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
liqmat wrote on 2020-11-24, 15:11:

Well... if it's Titan Quest be prepared for a long experience with its expansions. Also, Titan Quest is amazingly still updated by its devs 14 years later. So a VERY polished experience. No to mention Titan Quest is a gorgeous game compared to the original Dungeon Siege. Both are good action RPG games in their own right though.

Thanks, Titan Quest it is then.

As for me, I've been killing more time with trying to 100% Pillars of Eternity. I am nearing the completion of White March Pt 1 expansion and the party is almost completely Level 12 (Level 16 is the cap) and I must say it was a very well placed distraction from the main game. Obsidian basically squeezed in an Icewind Dale into Baldur's Gate with this, and I enjoyed not only the new companions but the variety in locations and a new story. I will be done with it and go back to completing Act 2 soon enough though. All in all, I think this game will take about 100 hrs or so of my time and I'd say it was well deserved. This is in stark contrast with what I felt about Divinity: Origin Sin - the two games could not have felt more different in hindsight. I look forward to playing Tyranny and Deadfire after this. Well done Obsidian. I wish you guys were tasked with Baldur's Gate III..

Retronautics: A digital gallery of my retro computers, hardware and projects.

Reply 2441 of 5852, by Joseph_Joestar

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I'm running Quake 1 on my AthlonXP + GeForce4 rig. Getting over 100 FPS at 640x480 in software mode, which is how I like to play that game. While GLQuake is nice and would provide even higher frame rates, I prefer the look of software rendering in Quake 1 since that's how I played it as a kid.

BTW, the CD soundtrack is as epic as ever, Trent Reznor really did a fantastic job here.

PC#1: Pentium MMX 166 / Soyo SY-5BT / S3 Trio64V+ / Voodoo1 / YMF719 / AWE64 Gold / SC-155
PC#2: AthlonXP 2100+ / ECS K7VTA3 / Voodoo3 / Audigy2 / Vortex2
PC#3: Athlon64 3400+ / Asus K8V-MX / 5900XT / Audigy2
PC#4: i5-3570K / MSI Z77A-G43 / GTX 970 / X-Fi

Reply 2442 of 5852, by DracoNihil

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Joseph_Joestar wrote on 2020-11-25, 14:25:

While GLQuake is nice and would provide even higher frame rates, I prefer the look of software rendering in Quake 1 since that's how I played it as a kid.

While you can't get the actual software mode underwater effect in GLQuake, you can simply configure the GL texture mode for "GL_NEAREST_MIPMAP_NEAREST" and it will "look" like Software.

Another thing that isn't present in GLQuake is the overbrights, and model fullbrights, which will make the visibility of certain things really hard if not impossible to see.

“I am the dragon without a name…”
― Κυνικός Δράκων

Reply 2444 of 5852, by DracoNihil

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
jmarsh wrote on 2020-11-25, 20:58:

Does it use the same setting for both enlarging and reducing?

GL_NEAREST_MIPMAP_NEAREST makes everything nearest neighbor filtered, that includes the mipmaps being drawn in place of full sized textures when you stand far away.

The software renderer in Quake does mipmapping in the same exact way as setting GLQuake to GL_NEAREST_MIPMAP_NEAREST.

“I am the dragon without a name…”
― Κυνικός Δράκων

Reply 2445 of 5852, by chrismeyer6

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I had to mount a rescue mission in KSP today. I was doing a mission to Minimus but somehow when I made my rocket I didn't use a bigger fuel tank and I only had enough fuel to get back to Kerbin orbit but not land. So I made a new rocket and rendezvoused with my space craft and had to eva over my kerbals to the new ship and was able to get my people and science home safely. Now I just have to send an uncrewed craft up to deorbit the spacecraft that's now out of fuel.

Reply 2446 of 5852, by jmarsh

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
DracoNihil wrote on 2020-11-25, 21:06:

GL_NEAREST_MIPMAP_NEAREST makes everything nearest neighbor filtered, that includes the mipmaps being drawn in place of full sized textures when you stand far away.

I know this. But OpenGL allows different filtering options for magnification vs. minification. GL_NEAREST_MIPMAP_NEAREST is only a valid option for minification (reducing), plus IMO setting the magnification filter to nearest while leaving the minification filter set to linear looks better for older games instead of just choosing between everything being either blocky or blurry.
It seems like an unnecessary limitation if glQuake doesn't allow separate options to control them.

Reply 2447 of 5852, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Software Quake has surfaces split up in blocks/leafs so the mip levels do have visible pop-in as they don't switch around the surfacecache across depth, so GL mipmapping doesn't match this behavior. It would be possible to hack in a forced software-driven mipmap to recreate the effect, but that's probably a waste of CPU and probably has a lot of texture switching penalties.

apsosig.png
long live PCem

Reply 2448 of 5852, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I think it's best to accept each as its own thing.

What's weird is that I can't get a stable 60+ fps with my Celeron 1300 system in Software Quake 640x480 - it's stuttery and 30fps and below most of the time. Any tips? Do I need to run FASTVID or something first?

Reply 2449 of 5852, by Joseph_Joestar

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
appiah4 wrote on 2020-11-26, 07:20:

Do I need to run FASTVID or something first?

Yes, either that or MTTRLFBE.EXE. Without using one of those, software rendering frame rates are significantly lower. Also, make sure that Quake is patched to version 1.08.

To eliminate the stutter you might need to turn VSync on by adding this to config.cfg:

_vid_wait_override "1"

This will reduce your performance by roughly half, but it prevents tearing and gives you a locked frame rate at all times.

PC#1: Pentium MMX 166 / Soyo SY-5BT / S3 Trio64V+ / Voodoo1 / YMF719 / AWE64 Gold / SC-155
PC#2: AthlonXP 2100+ / ECS K7VTA3 / Voodoo3 / Audigy2 / Vortex2
PC#3: Athlon64 3400+ / Asus K8V-MX / 5900XT / Audigy2
PC#4: i5-3570K / MSI Z77A-G43 / GTX 970 / X-Fi

Reply 2450 of 5852, by Bondi

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Playing Virtual Pool for DOS. Totally forgot about this game! It was such a fun back in the day.

6074_564b730810158.JPG
Filename
6074_564b730810158.JPG
File size
26.66 KiB
Views
File comment
vpool
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

PCMCIA Sound Cards chart
archive.org: PCMCIA software, manuals, drivers

Reply 2451 of 5852, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Joseph_Joestar wrote on 2020-11-26, 07:51:
Yes, either that or MTTRLFBE.EXE. Without using one of those, software rendering frame rates are significantly lower. Also, make […]
Show full quote
appiah4 wrote on 2020-11-26, 07:20:

Do I need to run FASTVID or something first?

Yes, either that or MTTRLFBE.EXE. Without using one of those, software rendering frame rates are significantly lower. Also, make sure that Quake is patched to version 1.08.

To eliminate the stutter you might need to turn VSync on by adding this to config.cfg:

_vid_wait_override "1"

This will reduce your performance by roughly half, but it prevents tearing and gives you a locked frame rate at all times.

MTRRLFBE did indeed improve 640x480 framerate on Demo1 from 29 to 55, almost two-fold increase. Thanks!

Reply 2452 of 5852, by chrismeyer6

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Bondi wrote on 2020-11-26, 09:17:

Playing Virtual Pool for DOS. Totally forgot about this game! It was such a fun back in the day.
6074_564b730810158.JPG

Oh man I used to play that game constantly as a kid. Now I have to try and find my disks for it.

Reply 2454 of 5852, by clueless1

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

CyberMage
I just completed the 4th scene (level), called MetaCop, and am now back at The City. I'm really liking this game! I played MetaCop in SVGA with the screen downsized twice, and it was pretty playable on my P200MMX (mostly because it was mainly indoors). Since The City is mostly outdoors, I may switch back to VGA if the framerates tank too much. The MetaCop scene introduced the jump jet which was required to get through a large section of this scene that had some sort of swampy poisonous ground that would kill you in short order without it. Again, this game feels like a combination of System Shock and Duke Nukem 3D, with a touch of The Mandalorian thrown in now that the jump jet is in my inventory. Your character is very Mandalorianesque, with the ability to switch between melee, gun, and laser weapons, along with his innate Darklight Powers. The Darklight Powers are different attacks that use MANNA-RA, a constantly charging power you have. If you use up all your Powers, you have to either hide somewhere to allow it to recharge, or switch to another weapon with limited ammo for awhile. The melee weapons seem pretty pointless and only to be used as a last resort (ie, you've depleted both MANNA-RA and all ammo in your weapons) but with a little strategy and common sense you can prevent that situation from ever occurring.

The level design can be a little confusing, but is actually quite brilliant. All the locations feel real and alive. Each Scene has multiple levels, which can lead to some confusion. For example, there is an area with lifts that go up or down and in order to clear the area, you have to take some lifts up and others down to get to sections of the lower level that are otherwise unreachable. There's a fair amount of secret areas which are well-designed and give a huge feeling of satisfaction when discovered. They often hold higher level weapons, armor upgrades, or cash (which you can use to purchase weapons, healing and ammo). There are some doors which require a 4 digit passcode, which are given to you by NPCs. What's hilarious is the passcodes are randomized, so when the NPC says them, their voice changes to a robotic auto-generated voice:
https://youtu.be/CjDylyH0MVw?t=6988
I'm not sure why this game didn't get more press and fanfare when it came out. I'm playing from the original CD which I bought when the game came out and I barely remember giving it a chance back then. It almost feels ahead of its time, which might have something to do with why I didn't like it much then but really like it 25 years later. It has all the hallmarks of a modern FPS with RPG elements: strafing, looking up and down, flying up and down, ducking to get into small spaces, multiple levels within a scene, etc. Of course, the implementation is often crude (no mouselook, mostly keyboard commands) but man, it's a good game. I'd love to see a modern remake of it.

So far, through 4 / 10 scenes, I've sunk 6 hrs and 39 minutes into it.

The more I learn, the more I realize how much I don't know.
OPL3 FM vs. Roland MT-32 vs. General MIDI DOS Game Comparison
Let's benchmark our systems with cache disabled
DOS PCI Graphics Card Benchmarks

Reply 2455 of 5852, by xcomcmdr

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I'm glad you're enjoying it. Reminds me of my last playthrough. 😀
This game required a powerful Pentium-based computer to run properly at the time.
I don't know if it selled well, but the review from a local magazine back then gave the game quite a lot of praises, but regretted the beefy setup that is (almost ?) required (almost quote : "Man, this require a Pentium 100 ! Madness !").
I'm really curious to see how it performs on my Pentium 3 on real DOS. I might play it yet again.

Reply 2456 of 5852, by Almoststew1990

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I'm trying to decide if I can be bothered to buy Indiana Jones Fate of Atlantis on GOG in the sale for my DOS PC. Or maybe buy some other DOS games there...

Ryzen 3700X | 16GB 3600MHz RAM | AMD 6800XT | 2Tb NVME SSD | Windows 10
AMD DX2-80 | 16MB RAM | STB LIghtspeed 128 | AWE32 CT3910
I have a vacancy for a main Windows 98 PC

Reply 2457 of 5852, by clueless1

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
xcomcmdr wrote on 2020-11-27, 17:13:
I'm glad you're enjoying it. Reminds me of my last playthrough. :) This game required a powerful Pentium-based computer to run p […]
Show full quote

I'm glad you're enjoying it. Reminds me of my last playthrough. 😀
This game required a powerful Pentium-based computer to run properly at the time.
I don't know if it selled well, but the review from a local magazine back then gave the game quite a lot of praises, but regretted the beefy setup that is (almost ?) required (almost quote : "Man, this require a Pentium 100 ! Madness !").
I'm really curious to see how it performs on my Pentium 3 on real DOS. I might play it yet again.

I remember reading in another thread here that it took a 600Mhz P3 to play fullscreen SVGA completely smoothly. 🤣. It just looks SO much better than VGA that it's worth sacrificing performance and dropping the screensize down. And yeah, when this game was released, the fastest Pentiums available were something like 120-133Mhz, and if I'm struggling with SVGA on a POD200MMX, I imagine this game was mostly unplayable in SVGA when it came out.

@Almoststew1990 - Yeah, I've been weighing buying some GOG games myself with the Fall Sale prices. But my backlog of games I already own is so big, and I know that there will be a Winter Sale and many other sales going forward, so I'll probably wait til I beat a few more games before buying anymore. The main temptation right now for me is Eschalon: Book III. I loved the first two so that could be a game I jump into after I finish CyberMage. It's on sale for 50% off, but the longer I wait, the more chance it will be even cheaper.

The more I learn, the more I realize how much I don't know.
OPL3 FM vs. Roland MT-32 vs. General MIDI DOS Game Comparison
Let's benchmark our systems with cache disabled
DOS PCI Graphics Card Benchmarks

Reply 2458 of 5852, by brostenen

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Playing gran turismo 6 on Ps3 these days.

Don't eat stuff off a 15 year old never cleaned cpu cooler.
Those cakes make you sick....

My blog: http://to9xct.blogspot.dk
My YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/user/brostenen

001100 010010 011110 100001 101101 110011

Reply 2459 of 5852, by schmatzler

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I think I might start a serious playthrough of "Dragon Age: Origins".
A lot of my friends kept recommending that to me over the years and today I finally got it in the Steam sale for a few bucks.

After 82 minutes in, I could clearly see the game is old. Control scheme is a little weird (but not unplayable) and all of the female characters have massive boobs - even my aunt! Oh, those good old times. 😁

It crashed while saving, seems like this is common. Hope, not too common or it might throw me off at some point.

"Windows 98's natural state is locked up"