What game are you playing now?

Topic actions

Reply 2760 of 5850, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Old_Jelly wrote on 2021-02-15, 10:02:

Just finished Quake 4 on my 6800 Ultra ! I was having so much fun. After work today I will start a new playthrough of Doom 3 can't get enough of id Tech 4

I actually own this game and never played it beyond the first two levels; maybe I should? I loved DOOM 3 and expansion but this did not really hit the same vibe with me..

Retronautics: A digital gallery of my retro computers, hardware and projects.

Reply 2761 of 5850, by Old_Jelly

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
appiah4 wrote on 2021-02-16, 07:05:

Just finished Quake 4 on my 6800 Ultra ! I was having so much fun. After work today I will start a new playthrough of Doom 3 can't get enough of id Tech 4

I actually own this game and never played it beyond the first two levels; maybe I should? I loved DOOM 3 and expansion but this did not really hit the same vibe with me..

I don't want to spoil the game but the game really opens up later, just give it a chance.

Reply 2762 of 5850, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Old_Jelly wrote on 2021-02-16, 08:58:
appiah4 wrote on 2021-02-16, 07:05:

I don't want to spoil the game but the game really opens up later, just give it a chance.

Does the Steam version run fine on modern hardware I wonder.. I do have an E4600/X800Pro box to play it with too, but maxing everything out to stupid IQ levels would be nice.

Reply 2763 of 5850, by Old_Jelly

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
appiah4 wrote on 2021-02-16, 10:17:

Does the Steam version run fine on modern hardware I wonder.. I do have an E4600/X800Pro box to play it with too, but maxing everything out to stupid IQ levels would be nice.

I played the GoG version on a Q6600, 6800 Ultra 256Mb, 2 Gb DDR2 on high settings, Win XP. I'm not sure about the steam version.

Reply 2764 of 5850, by domomex89

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I finished Return of the Phantom and Pepper's Adventures in Time recently.
Both were okay games, but I feel like Pepper's Adventures in Time was the better one out of the two.

Pepper's Adventures in Time is a much better game than LucasArts' Day of the Tentacle and Sam & Max Hit the Road.

Gonna play Gabriel Knight soon.

Reply 2765 of 5850, by kolderman

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Finished Phantasmagoria. I have the game guide as well which showed me a bunch of alternate paths and just hidden stuff I didn't see, but I could go back and easily play through due to being able to start at any chapter afterwards. Pretty good game overall, I can't say I hate the FMV concept anymore.

Starting Playing Sam&Max Hit The Road, DOS version, same PC. It sure is a speed sensitive game, but with setmul slowing the C3 down and cdbq slowing my DVD drive down, it seems to be working just fine 😁

Reply 2766 of 5850, by Dimitris1980

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Yesterday night i played Flight of the Amazon Queen floppy version with Roland MT32, then Monkey Island 2 pc with Roland CM64, then Monkey Island 2 Macintosh version, then Legend of Kyrandia pc floppy with Roland CM64 and finally the Legend of Kyrandia Macintosh floppy version.

- Macintosh LC475, Powerbook 540c, Macintosh Performa 6116CD, Power Macintosh G3 Minitower (x2), Imac G3, Powermac G4 MDD, Powermac G5, Imac Mid 2007
- Cyrix 120
- Amiga 500, Amiga 1200
- Atari 1040 STF
- Roland MT32, CM64, CM500, SC55, SC88, Yamaha MU50

Reply 2767 of 5850, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I just binge watched The Witcher show and was totally underwhelmed by it. It still gave me the urge to try The Withcer out for the third time, and I was absolutely totally underwhelmed by it a third time as well. Now I don't even dare touch the books.

Reply 2768 of 5850, by buckeye

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
appiah4 wrote on 2021-02-24, 07:30:

I just binge watched The Witcher show and was totally underwhelmed by it. It still gave me the urge to try The Withcer out for the third time, and I was absolutely totally underwhelmed by it a third time as well. Now I don't even dare touch the books.

The tv series jumped around too much, didn't like some of the actor/character match ups. Geralt, Yennefer were close but the girl playing Ciri is just
too "wimpy" for me. I liked the way the striga looked in the game more than the show too.

Asus P5N-E Intel Core 2 Duo 3.33ghz. 4GB DDR2 Geforce 470 1GB SB X-Fi Titanium 650W XP SP3
Intel SE440BX P3 450 256MB 80GB SSD Radeon 7200 64mb SB 32pnp 350W 98SE
MSI x570 Gaming Pro Carbon Ryzen 3700x 32GB DDR4 Zotac RTX 3070 8GB WD Black 1TB 850W

Reply 2770 of 5850, by Munx

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Old_Jelly wrote on 2021-02-24, 18:15:

I'm going through Half Life 2 right now ( like I needed a reason 🤣 ) but I find it so much more fun with a gpu from that generation.

Hopefully with a period-correct 2004 version too!

My builds!
The FireStarter 2.0 - The wooden K5
The Underdog - The budget K6
The Voodoo powerhouse - The power-hungry K7
The troll PC - The Socket 423 Pentium 4

Reply 2771 of 5850, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
buckeye wrote on 2021-02-24, 15:53:
appiah4 wrote on 2021-02-24, 07:30:

The tv series jumped around too much, didn't like some of the actor/character match ups. Geralt, Yennefer were close but the girl playing Ciri is just
too "wimpy" for me. I liked the way the striga looked in the game more than the show too.

The jumping around too much is definitely a problem, particularly because there is no way to build a time reference as to what part of the story takes place when pretty much until past halfway the season. I don't know if the showrunners wanted it to be a wondrous revelation ("Oh, so THAT is actually in the past..") but it was more a feeling of annoying confusion ("What the fuck, so these stories are set in different time frames?"). I did not enjoy the disorienting structure of the show.

Reply 2772 of 5850, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Ditto but maybe ther should be a what movie or TV show are you watching now thread assuming there isn't one already

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 2773 of 5850, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Not a retro game, but been playing Deep Rock Galactic quite a lot recently. It is thankfully not another one of those games that focus on trying to get you addicted and with premium weapons and the gaming company trying to turn the game into a job. This is just a game that is fun to play, but can also be easily be put aside if I don't have the time and where the base game gives all the weapons with the dlc being merely for cosmetics. Just like an old fashioned good game of the old days. Just buy it, play it and have fun.

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!

Reply 2775 of 5850, by Old_Jelly

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Munx wrote on 2021-02-24, 18:37:
Old_Jelly wrote on 2021-02-24, 18:15:

I'm going through Half Life 2 right now ( like I needed a reason 🤣 ) but I find it so much more fun with a gpu from that generation.

Hopefully with a period-correct 2004 version too!

Yep ! 2004 version

Reply 2776 of 5850, by Drittz

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I’ve been playing Max Payne and forget just how hard this game actually is. It’s been so long since I played it, I was expecting a 3rd person pew pew shooter with bullet-time. But really there’s more strategy involved than just guns a blazing’.

Reply 2777 of 5850, by clueless1

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Eschalon: Book III
I'm 40 hours in and am near the end. I'm just completing a couple of remaining side quests and just got into Master Warren's Chamber in Moonrise Underground. This is like THE treasure trove of the game and they give it to you right before the events leading up to the endgame, which is nice because I can really max out my weapons and armor. I just got Bittersting, one of the best bows in the game and got a ton of rare and expensive armor that I sold to get more rare/expensive armor. 😉 My character specializes in light armor, so I can only wear a small subset of the available armor types (which is why I sold all the armor from Master Warren's Chamber).

Here's an overworld shot in Moonrise:

eb3_overworld.png
Filename
eb3_overworld.png
File size
992.96 KiB
Views
File license
GPL-2.0-or-later

And my character's stats:

eb3_stats.png
Filename
eb3_stats.png
File size
1.05 MiB
Views
File license
GPL-2.0-or-later

The more I learn, the more I realize how much I don't know.
OPL3 FM vs. Roland MT-32 vs. General MIDI DOS Game Comparison
Let's benchmark our systems with cache disabled
DOS PCI Graphics Card Benchmarks

Reply 2778 of 5850, by badmojo

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Nice one @clueless, I really like the aesthetic of that game. I can feel an RPG coming on here too but for now I've been having a great time trying out some DOS based SMS emulators on my socket 7 machine, and I'm surprised with how well they run (after countless hours of messing about).

There are a few around but MEKA is considered the gold standard from what I can tell - lots of options and good sound emulation. Sound seems to be the sticking point, some didn't bother implementing it at all. Ideally I would have liked a VESA mode resolution with vsync and 44100hz sound but this machine just wasn't up to the challenge. Even with 22050hz sound I was seeing some hitching so ended up turning vsync off and messing with the emulator speed / refresh rates until I got as close as I could to smooth - I must say it's very good and given I have to set my real SMS if I want to play it, this will probably replace my real hardware for the most part. No more messing around with carts, etc, I just have menu items set up and off I go. The controls via my gamepad are perfect and it's all very playable.

P1060276.JPG
Filename
P1060276.JPG
File size
181.56 KiB
Views
File license
CC-BY-4.0
P1060254.JPG
Filename
P1060254.JPG
File size
306.58 KiB
Views
File license
CC-BY-4.0

Life? Don't talk to me about life.

Reply 2779 of 5850, by foey

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Sam and Max Hit the Road on my Cyrix MII dos machine.

Never completed as a child and not played since. I'm actually making good progress, I remember a couple of the puzzles but having a blast. Love the humor.

Cyrix Instead Build, 6x86 166+ | 32mb SD | 4mb S3 Virge DX | Creative AWE64 | Win95
ATC-S PIII Tualatin Win9x Build :- ATC-S PIII Coppermine Win9x Build Log [WIP] **Photo Heavy**