VOGONS

Common searches

What game are you playing now?

Topic actions

Reply 3220 of 5934, by gca

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Just finished Star Trek Armada, not fun at all sadly. Found it to be very buggy and unstable even with the latest patch installed (running on Me (shut up, its the closest contemporary OS I had immediately to hand)). Had it tank multiple times to the desktop even when running in its own safe mode and one level proved to be impossible to get past without using the level skip cheat (I'm not the only one who found this issue, many others have reported it). Pity, with more polish and effort it might have been good.

Reply 3221 of 5934, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Yeah, even 21 years ago Armada was a buggy unstable mess with some very annoying audio issues (extremely long repetitive acknowledgement voices especially later on). Somehow many looked past that, because it's picardcraft

Still a little amazing there's a Star Trek RTS born from the tech of Battlezone though...

apsosig.png
long live PCem

Reply 3222 of 5934, by newtmonkey

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
clueless1 wrote on 2021-08-08, 16:33:

Thanks for the review. Does it have an auto note-taking feature, or do you need to do so manually to remember things for later quests? That's one thing I don't miss about old games: manual mapping and note-taking.

It doesn't have an auto-note taking feature unfortunately, but does have an auto-map.

Reply 3223 of 5934, by kolderman

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Finished Freedom Fighters. The final mission was not very challenging compared to the few previous ones. Considering playing Il-2 Sturmivok 1946 on this same PC (WinXP build), with the MS Force Feedback 2 joystick. Haven't played a flight sim since the 90s so we'll see how well that turns out.

Reply 3224 of 5934, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
kolderman wrote on 2021-08-11, 10:04:

Finished Freedom Fighters. The final mission was not very challenging compared to the few previous ones. Considering playing Il-2 Sturmivok 1946 on this same PC (WinXP build), with the MS Force Feedback 2 joystick. Haven't played a flight sim since the 90s so we'll see how well that turns out.

IL-2 is pretty good but I remember the campaign mode being pretty ass.

Retronautics: A digital gallery of my retro computers, hardware and projects.

Reply 3225 of 5934, by Joakim

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I got this craving for something infernal, and Diablo 1 was my choice. I'm playing the warrior. Game is maybe a little on the repetitive side with no special attacks etc but the art style of the game is still awesome I especially like the character model of the warrior (the paladin from diablo 2 never quite did it for me).

The sound effects and dark atmosphere is very convincing. I wouldn't call the game scary though, but the other day when I was playing with my headphones on my wife came behind me and touched me on the shoulder she scared the shit out of me haha...

Reply 3226 of 5934, by Namrok

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Diablo holds up so well. Better than Diablo II IMHO. Diablo feels closer to it's rogue inspiration, with more randomness in each run with different side quests and shrines. And the loot is tuned way down so that each floor you may find a single item that's a really good upgrade. And with only 16 levels a run might be 10 hours? The emphasis seems to be on seeing what happens any particular run, and if you can make the rather slim pickings you find along the way work.

Diablo II, leaning far more heavily into the loot pinata and extreme niche itemization, began the truly evil trend of all games chasing skinner box mechanics from start to finish. I find it to be more compulsive than fun, and the ur-text for every game that uses tedium to compel you to hand over your cash for another dopamine hit. Even if Diablo II itself never did that, the roadmap it's gameplay laid out takes you directly there.

Win95/DOS 7.1 - P233 MMX (@2.5 x 100 FSB), Diamond Viper V330 AGP, SB16 CT2800
Win98 - K6-2+ 500, GF2 MX, SB AWE 64 CT4500, SBLive CT4780
Win98 - Pentium III 1000, GF2 GTS, SBLive CT4760
WinXP - Athlon 64 3200+, GF 7800 GS, Audigy 2 ZS

Reply 3227 of 5934, by BitWrangler

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Rediscovered this text adventure ... https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Humbug_(video_game) was trying to remember the name of it for years. Now public domain download link in article.

It seems to run fine in a Win 7 32 bit command prompt.

Not doing all that great so far 140 out of 2000 🤣

Unicorn herding operations are proceeding, but all the totes of hens teeth and barrels of rocking horse poop give them plenty of hiding spots.

Reply 3228 of 5934, by SherbertWest

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Picked up Commander Keen in Keen Dreams, which I have vivid memories of playing with my German cousins during a rare occasion when I got to visit them. There's something I especially like about the grenades that turn your adversaries into dopey-looking flowers when you stun them.

Reply 3229 of 5934, by newtmonkey

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Lords of Xulima
I've had this in my Steam library for some time now, but finally decided to play it. I ended up getting quite addicted to it, and played it for 5-6 hours straight. It's been years since I've done that!

The best way of describing this game is classic Might & Magic with an isometric view instead of first-person, but with combat closer to the that of the Wizardry series. You get "full" party creation right from the start (though one spot is taken up by a fixed main character you must use). I thought this would annoy me, but it feels less like you are tagging along with the main character, and more like he is tagging along with you.

The main character is set to the "explorer" class, which is not available for other characters. He is sort of a jack-of-all-trades character, but many of his skills focus on exploration, such as finding hidden things and gathering herbs/food. He can also be turned into a pseudo-thief character as he has access to those skills, if you don't want to have a dedicated thief in your party.

The basic game loop and exploration, etc. are HEAVILY inspired by Might & Magic (specifically M&M III&IV/V). The world map even looks like it came straight from a M&M game. It is however quite more linear than the M&M games, as you are constantly "gated" by encounters that are basically impossible if you are not within a few levels of the encounter itself.

Encounters are mostly fixed and are represented by enemy sprites; you can click on these to see which enemies are included in the encounter and the game will rate its difficulty level compared to your current party. Although you can defeat encounters above your level with careful use of tactics and items, there is definitely a limit to how much you can push this. There are also areas with random encounters, but you can actually clear them out completely after winning a certain number of battles. It's a good mix imo.

Combat is a lot of fun and much more tactical than the M&M games. Positioning and weapon range matters a lot here, and one interesting twist here is that you can arrange your six characters anywhere on a 4x2 grid. This actually provides for some extra variation in party composition, as you could choose from a 3-3 party (balanced between melee and ranged/magic) or a 4-2 party (with a stronger focus on melee).

Leveling is EXP-based, and earning a level gives you 2 points to spend on attributes and several points to spend on skills. I usually don't care much for skill-tree type systems, but it's not bad here. You don't have many skills to choose from at the start, and I found it pretty obvious which skills I should focus on for each build I had in mind.

Graphics and music are both fine. It's a decent looking game, but is clearly the world of a small team with limited resources. Some assets don't seem to match, such as some trees being noticeably blurrier than others... small stuff like that. Overall it looks fine though, and monsters are fully animated during combat. The music isn't bad, but it's not memorable either; it's mostly your typical 21st century fantasy RPG music, but some of the moodier tracks are quite good.

So far, it's a great game. Like most modern RPGs, it's got both an automap and quest journal so you don't really need to take any notes of your own, so it's quite easy to just jump and play.

Reply 3230 of 5934, by clueless1

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
newtmonkey wrote on 2021-08-15, 07:00:
Lords of Xulima I've had this in my Steam library for some time now, but finally decided to play it. I ended up getting quite a […]
Show full quote

Lords of Xulima
I've had this in my Steam library for some time now, but finally decided to play it. I ended up getting quite addicted to it, and played it for 5-6 hours straight. It's been years since I've done that!

The best way of describing this game is classic Might & Magic with an isometric view instead of first-person, but with combat closer to the that of the Wizardry series. You get "full" party creation right from the start (though one spot is taken up by a fixed main character you must use). I thought this would annoy me, but it feels less like you are tagging along with the main character, and more like he is tagging along with you.

The main character is set to the "explorer" class, which is not available for other characters. He is sort of a jack-of-all-trades character, but many of his skills focus on exploration, such as finding hidden things and gathering herbs/food. He can also be turned into a pseudo-thief character as he has access to those skills, if you don't want to have a dedicated thief in your party.

The basic game loop and exploration, etc. are HEAVILY inspired by Might & Magic (specifically M&M III&IV/V). The world map even looks like it came straight from a M&M game. It is however quite more linear than the M&M games, as you are constantly "gated" by encounters that are basically impossible if you are not within a few levels of the encounter itself.

Encounters are mostly fixed and are represented by enemy sprites; you can click on these to see which enemies are included in the encounter and the game will rate its difficulty level compared to your current party. Although you can defeat encounters above your level with careful use of tactics and items, there is definitely a limit to how much you can push this. There are also areas with random encounters, but you can actually clear them out completely after winning a certain number of battles. It's a good mix imo.

Combat is a lot of fun and much more tactical than the M&M games. Positioning and weapon range matters a lot here, and one interesting twist here is that you can arrange your six characters anywhere on a 4x2 grid. This actually provides for some extra variation in party composition, as you could choose from a 3-3 party (balanced between melee and ranged/magic) or a 4-2 party (with a stronger focus on melee).

Leveling is EXP-based, and earning a level gives you 2 points to spend on attributes and several points to spend on skills. I usually don't care much for skill-tree type systems, but it's not bad here. You don't have many skills to choose from at the start, and I found it pretty obvious which skills I should focus on for each build I had in mind.

Graphics and music are both fine. It's a decent looking game, but is clearly the world of a small team with limited resources. Some assets don't seem to match, such as some trees being noticeably blurrier than others... small stuff like that. Overall it looks fine though, and monsters are fully animated during combat. The music isn't bad, but it's not memorable either; it's mostly your typical 21st century fantasy RPG music, but some of the moodier tracks are quite good.

So far, it's a great game. Like most modern RPGs, it's got both an automap and quest journal so you don't really need to take any notes of your own, so it's quite easy to just jump and play.

I had a lot of fun with this game. I played and beat it back between February and May of 2018, if you're interested in searching my comments on it.

The more I learn, the more I realize how much I don't know.
OPL3 FM vs. Roland MT-32 vs. General MIDI DOS Game Comparison
Let's benchmark our systems with cache disabled
DOS PCI Graphics Card Benchmarks

Reply 3231 of 5934, by svfn

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Namrok wrote on 2021-08-11, 12:44:

Diablo holds up so well. Better than Diablo II IMHO. Diablo feels closer to it's rogue inspiration, with more randomness in each run with different side quests and shrines. And the loot is tuned way down so that each floor you may find a single item that's a really good upgrade. And with only 16 levels a run might be 10 hours? The emphasis seems to be on seeing what happens any particular run, and if you can make the rather slim pickings you find along the way work.

Diablo II, leaning far more heavily into the loot pinata and extreme niche itemization, began the truly evil trend of all games chasing skinner box mechanics from start to finish. I find it to be more compulsive than fun, and the ur-text for every game that uses tedium to compel you to hand over your cash for another dopamine hit. Even if Diablo II itself never did that, the roadmap it's gameplay laid out takes you directly there.

Yeah I often find myself replaying D1 more than D2. Diablo II did start the rushing speed, screen exploading and season thingy that is now in Diablo 3 and Path of Exile.

SS7: K6-2/350 | FIC PA-2013 2.1 | 32MB PC-100 | 3dfx V3 2000 AGP | AWE64 CT4520 | Win98SE
On MobyGames

Reply 3232 of 5934, by newtmonkey

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
clueless1 wrote on 2021-08-15, 10:36:

I had a lot of fun with this game. I played and beat it back between February and May of 2018, if you're interested in searching my comments on it.

Thanks for mentioning this, I went back and found your posts. I agree 100% so far, though I'm still early into the game (maybe 10 hours or so). Did you enjoy it all the way through? I know from your posts that you were loving it up to around halfway through.

Reply 3233 of 5934, by clueless1

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
newtmonkey wrote on 2021-08-15, 15:09:
clueless1 wrote on 2021-08-15, 10:36:

Thanks for mentioning this, I went back and found your posts. I agree 100% so far, though I'm still early into the game (maybe 10 hours or so). Did you enjoy it all the way through? I know from your posts that you were loving it up to around halfway through.

I think by the time I finished it, parts were getting a little long in the tooth. It was about 150 hours to finish for me according to the in-game timer. I do remember really being blown away by a plot twist in the endgame that made it super satisfying.

edit: found my wrap-up after finishing the game
Re: List the PC games that you have beaten

And back to Kingdom Come Deliverance...I just finished the Nest of Vipers and Baptism of Fire main quests. I think waiting so long to take them on really helped make it more fun and less difficult. I've read that you should be level 8-10 to take this on--I was level 14. It was the first time I've fought with an army against an enemy army. It was quite fun! The other troops fought well and freed me up to walk around and attack the enemy from behind, which made it quite easy. And the boss battle at the end ended up easier with a bow than with a sword. Runt is quite a skilled swordsman, so a few well-placed (above the neckline 😉 ) arrows did the trick. Although, the following cutscene showed me defeating him with a sword, which I found amusing.

The Nest of Vipers was pretty difficult. You have to infiltrate the enemy camp wearing Cuman armor to disguise yourself. In theory, you should walk the entire camp to find all the weak spots, poison four food sources, and destroy four barrels of arrows by burning them. I found it impossible to do all of that without getting caught, even at 3am. So I settled for one food source and most of the scouting points. I didn't touch the arrows. It was still enough to make the subsequent Baptism of Fire battle entirely doable in one try. In fact, I completed the battle and boss fight in 18 minutes including several cutscenes. Quite satisfying.

Fighting with so many other soldiers on-screen did a number on the framerate thought. Typically, the game stays close to my 60 fps vsync-enabled setup, but parts of the battle dipped into the 30s. My system is an i7-4770 and GTX 1650 Super. I have a mix of medium, high and very high detail settings enabled.

Last edited by clueless1 on 2021-08-15, 16:26. Edited 1 time in total.

The more I learn, the more I realize how much I don't know.
OPL3 FM vs. Roland MT-32 vs. General MIDI DOS Game Comparison
Let's benchmark our systems with cache disabled
DOS PCI Graphics Card Benchmarks

Reply 3235 of 5934, by Namrok

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

So I'm still slowly making my way through Populous. Surmounted world 450 just now.

You may recall around world 139 I got so frustrated I hacked the game to let me modify the enemy AI in conquest mode just as you would in custom mode. I've tried to use it sparingly. When I use it, I try to just dial the AI back a single notch.

Sometimes I get so pissed off at a level, I just drop it straight down to zero just to get past it.

Level 444 was one such level. I was started off against a super aggressive AI, with a single walker, in the middle of a rocky island. And consistently, this mother fucker would spawn complete morons that would totally ignore the nice flat expanse I paved for them, instead choosing to settle right against the edge of the map, nestled nicely between two boulders.

I was consistently still struggling just to get walkers to not meander around boulder country until they expired before the first earthquake hit.

The first volcano would hit sometime around when I finally got a second castle.

The first knight would show up to murder my entire small settlement while I was still desperately trying to use what meagre mana I had to recover from the volcano.

I just had no god damned clue what to do. I knew I had to expand faster somehow, so that I wouldn't be immediately wiped out. But I just couldn't cajole my damned walkers into actually settling anywhere useful. They'd consistently pick the most useless places, if they didn't just wonder in circles until they suicided. I tried the papal magnet once, but the mana consumption of it set back my flattening exercises so severely I was no further ahead.

So fuck it, I cheated.

There were some real oddball difficulty humps in the 100's I cheated past. I made it through almost all of the 300's without cheating once. The 400's has ramped up the bullshit again, and I find myself needing to cheat through every 3rd level or so. It is finally beginning to cheapen the experience. When I cheated past some of the impossible for me levels in the 100's, it let me experience a lot more of the game, and I'm glad I did it. Now as I struggle towards a clear end, and it's mostly more of the same but harder, I wonder why I'm even bothering. Still, I seem hung up on "finishing" the game, one way or another, before I can let it go and move onto another.

Win95/DOS 7.1 - P233 MMX (@2.5 x 100 FSB), Diamond Viper V330 AGP, SB16 CT2800
Win98 - K6-2+ 500, GF2 MX, SB AWE 64 CT4500, SBLive CT4780
Win98 - Pentium III 1000, GF2 GTS, SBLive CT4760
WinXP - Athlon 64 3200+, GF 7800 GS, Audigy 2 ZS

Reply 3236 of 5934, by Dimitris1980

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Doom 2 Macintosh version on my Performa 6116CD with Roland Sound Canvas SC88 for music

- Macintosh LC475, Powerbook 540c, Macintosh Performa 6116CD, Power Macintosh G3 Minitower (x2), Imac G3, Powermac G4 MDD, Powermac G5, Imac Mid 2007
- Cyrix 120
- Amiga 500, Amiga 1200
- Atari 1040 STF
- Roland MT32, CM64, CM500, SC55, SC88, Yamaha MU50

Reply 3237 of 5934, by BetaC

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Dimitris1980 wrote on 2021-08-15, 19:40:

Doom 2 Macintosh version on my Performa 6116CD with Roland Sound Canvas SC88 for music

How are you getting your MIDI out, if I may ask?

ph4ne7-99.png
g32zpm-99.png
0zuv7q-6.png
7y1bp7-6.png

Reply 3238 of 5934, by newtmonkey

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I got a bit burnt out on Lords of Xulima (played it waaaay too much over the weekend), so I'm taking a break from it for a while. I got a nice new mechanical keyboard for my DOS machine, so decided to spend some quality time with that:

Spirit of Adventure
This is basically Realms of Arkania 0. It seems to use the same engine as far as I can tell, and even the style of the graphics is very similar. It was also developed by the same company (and people) who would eventually make the RoA series. The big differences here are character creation and combat.

Character creation is MUCH simpler than in RoA. You type a name, select a class, select a race, and then the game randomly rolls your stats as well as a starting skill. You can reject the character and start over from selecting the class if you don't like the rolls. The main reason you'd want to reroll is the starting skill, as you can get something extremely useful (free healing over time outside of combat) or something totally useless (an indication of which way a monster might be approaching).

Combat plays nearly exactly like the battles in The Bard's Tale rather than the tactical combat of the RoA series. This of course means that combat is MUCH quicker.

Like with RoA, the game starts you in a massive town where 90% of the buildings are useless. I went and mapped every single square and entered every building, and while I always appreciate looking back on my maps, I sort of wish I had just downloaded a map. I might do this if there are any other towns in the game.

I like it so far! It can be pretty brutal at first, but upgrading your equipment actually makes a huge difference early on.

Reply 3239 of 5934, by RandomStranger

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I got back into Mass Effect, this time the Xbox 360 version. About 2 weeks ago I bought the Mass Effect Trilogy box set. I really wanted this to bypass EA Origin for ME3 which is mandatory on the PC, but absent from the Xbox version.

2 days ago I also got Alice: Madness Returns for the Xbox 360 (which it seems includes the 1st episode) and Devil May Cry 4 Collector's Edition for the PS3 and I'd also like to finally try Atom RPG so I'm in a pinch what to play next.

sreq.png retrogamer-s.png