Filename
    IMAG0023.JPG
    File size
    161.81 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

There's a glitch in the matrix.
A founding member of the 286 appreciation society.
Apparently 32-bit is dead and nobody likes P4s.
Of course, as always, I'm open to correction...😉

Reply 3141 of 5931, by Caluser2000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Who said Linux doesn't have games:

Attachments

• IMAG0027.JPG
    Filename
    IMAG0027.JPG
    File size
    281.96 KiB
    Views
    File license

Reply 3142 of 5931, by Namrok

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Joseph_Joestar wrote on 2021-07-04, 04:36:
Namrok wrote on 2021-07-04, 04:06:

I'm continuing my trek through Doom 2. I'm not sure I've played this game in earnest since 1995. And I have no memory of ever having beaten it besides being 12 years old and cheating my whole way through. Now Doom on the other hand, I've played that fairly regularly over the many years, and left my cheating youth firmly in the past.

I may be in the minority here, but I prefer the level design in Doom 1 over what they did for Doom 2. The latter just feels too gimmicky at times, speaking strictly from a single player perspective.

Also, the city levels just don't feel as interesting as the military installations and otherworldly areas of the original game.

You know, I can get on board with that sentiment. The city block style games from Doom 2 are extremely visually boring. And many levels are rather gimmicky explorations of one or two gameplay concepts. Like the aforementioned Barrels o' Fun. I can appreciate that sort of minimalist single minded exploration of a design space. But the original Doom is still more of a complete package.

Probably comes down to fewer Romero levels, and maybe even Tom Hall's ambitious and often cut environmental backstories for levels. At least if I'm remembering Masters of Doom correctly.

Win95/DOS 7.1 - P233 MMX (@2.5 x 100 FSB), Diamond Viper V330 AGP, SB16 CT2800
Win98 - K6-2+ 500, GF2 MX, SB AWE 64 CT4500, SBLive CT4780
Win98 - Pentium III 1000, GF2 GTS, SBLive CT4760
WinXP - Athlon 64 3200+, GF 7800 GS, Audigy 2 ZS

Reply 3143 of 5931, by NovaCN

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Joseph_Joestar wrote on 2021-07-04, 04:36:
Namrok wrote on 2021-07-04, 04:06:

I'm continuing my trek through Doom 2. I'm not sure I've played this game in earnest since 1995. And I have no memory of ever having beaten it besides being 12 years old and cheating my whole way through. Now Doom on the other hand, I've played that fairly regularly over the many years, and left my cheating youth firmly in the past.

I may be in the minority here, but I prefer the level design in Doom 1 over what they did for Doom 2. The latter just feels too gimmicky at times, speaking strictly from a single player perspective.

Also, the city levels just don't feel as interesting as the military installations and otherworldly areas of the original game.

You're not in the minority; this seems to be the common opinion from what I've seen. The main reason people prefer Doom 2 is the additional toys for modding that allow for more interesting .wads.

[Insert late-aughts overly-elaborate animated signature banner here]

Reply 3144 of 5931, by Namrok

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Doom II is finished, with my customary time capsule like trophy photo. First one at the new house, with the new monitor. Weirdly, The Spirit World began hitching a bit on my rig. I feel inclined to blame the SBLive's SB16 emulation. A notion of building a P233 MMX machine with a proper ISA sound card and only DOS installed is forming in my mind. I have most of the parts I need in terms of mobo, cpu, ram. Only need a case, PSU and the actual sound card.

20210705_Doom_II_a.jpg
Filename
20210705_Doom_II_a.jpg
File size
1.25 MiB
Views
File license
Public domain

Felt good beating a game. Last one I actually beat was Dawn of War over a month ago. Then again, June had me rushing to meet two rough deadlines at work since my expertise had been double booked, as well as moving into a new house. So I suppose that's not too surprising.

I did really enjoy the last few levels of Doom II. Especially The Spirit World and The Living End. Felt like fitting and appropriately hellish levels for the end of a Doom game. Icon of Sin, well, it is what it is. And a lot of the city levels had their flaws. Used to be the only levels I really remembered from Doom II was Entryway and Underhalls. Honestly... I don't think that's changed much. Something about Doom II's levels are just weirdly forgettable. At least for me. Can't really put my finger on why.

One thing I'll definitely remember from this playthrough, and that's the intense fear and sense of urgency the sound of an Arch-vile around the corner causes. Having always played with cheats in my childhood, that was a new and memorable experience.

Think I'm going to try to get as far through Populous as I can next. When I built this machine, I had wanted to try more games from the era that I hadn't played before, being laser focused on FPS and RTS at the time. I played a few, like Lords of the Realm and Syndicate. But I'd mostly stuck to comfort games I'd already played, like the aforementioned FPS, and Master of Orion II. Learning new games is a lot harder for me than it used to be. Especially after long days. I find all I have the energy for is to slip into something I've already beaten before.

Fingers crossed I can keep pushing through Populous.

Reply 3145 of 5931, by Bige4u

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

No pictures.... but you'll get the point when i say, BRUTAL DOOM! (GZ DOOM)

Requires original doom/doom2/final doom(platonia and tnt) WADS to play this game with expreme prejudice and LMAO adventures.

YT - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9YoADewX12E

Pentium3 1400s/ Asus Tusl2-c / Kingston 512mb pc133 cl2 / WD 20gb 7200rpm / GeForce3 Ti-500 64mb / Sound Blaster Live! 5.1 SB0100 / 16x dvdrom / 3.5 Floppy / Enermax 420w / Win98se

Reply 3146 of 5931, by NovaCN

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Bige4u wrote on 2021-07-06, 23:15:

No pictures.... but you'll get the point when i say, BRUTAL DOOM! (GZ DOOM)

Requires original doom/doom2/final doom(platonia and tnt) WADS to play this game with expreme prejudice and LMAO adventures.

YT - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9YoADewX12E

I'd be remiss not to point out that you really should not play Brutal Doom, for a myriad of reasons. Beyond it just being really poorly-balanced and taking a sledgehammer to the beautiful elegance of the original gameplay design, it also:
- Uses actual photographs of real-life corpses as sprites
- Contains plenty of other outright stolen assets
(spoilering the rest because content warning)

Spoiler

- Was created by a full-on Neo-Nazi Holocaust-denier
- Who is known for lashing out at people for the mildest criticism
- And has told at least one suicidal poster to kill themselves, complete with detailed instructions

To name just a few things.
Seriously the guy who made Brutal Doom is so detested by the wider Doom modding community that there are .wads with special scripts attached to detect and prevent people from running them in Brutal Doom. There are way better alternatives.

Reply 3148 of 5931, by BetaC

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
xcomcmdr wrote on 2021-07-07, 14:02:

Brutal Doom is boring after the first half hour or so. So overrated.

That's what people sadly don't focus on. It's got the "OH MAN THIS IS AWESOM BLOOD AND GUTS" that also made its way in to the new games, but little else once you get past that.

ph4ne7-99.png
g32zpm-99.png
0zuv7q-6.png
7y1bp7-6.png

Reply 3149 of 5931, by Bige4u

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Dont get me wrong... i dig playing the original doom/doom2 from yesteryear, but to me, brutal has more punch thats gratifying, even if it just for a little while.

Last edited by Stiletto on 2021-07-08, 18:18. Edited 1 time in total.

Pentium3 1400s/ Asus Tusl2-c / Kingston 512mb pc133 cl2 / WD 20gb 7200rpm / GeForce3 Ti-500 64mb / Sound Blaster Live! 5.1 SB0100 / 16x dvdrom / 3.5 Floppy / Enermax 420w / Win98se

Reply 3150 of 5931, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I beat Level 11 of Doom 2016, two levels to go. Such a fantastic game, really captures that original Doom feel in almost every way.

Retronautics: A digital gallery of my retro computers, hardware and projects.

Reply 3151 of 5931, by Joseph_Joestar

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
appiah4 wrote on 2021-07-08, 07:03:

I beat Level 11 of Doom 2016, two levels to go. Such a fantastic game, really captures that original Doom feel in almost every way.

I played through Doom 2016 a few years ago and enjoyed it quite a bit, with a few minor exceptions.

I found some of the platforming sequences annoying, but they were thankfully rare. Was never a fan of those in FPS games. Also, I didn't like that the developers artificially trapped you in a corridor during the Cyberdemon fight, in order to prevent dodging. It's pretty much the polar opposite of the Doom 1 version of that encounter which takes place in a wide, open area. But overall, I liked the game a lot.

Didn't get Doom Eternal since I heard that platforming plays a much bigger role there. That automatically makes the game bargain bin material in my eyes.

PC#1: Pentium MMX 166 / Soyo SY-5BT / S3 Trio64V+ / Voodoo1 / YMF719 / AWE64 Gold / SC-155
PC#2: AthlonXP 2100+ / ECS K7VTA3 / Voodoo3 / Audigy2 / Vortex2
PC#3: Athlon64 3400+ / Asus K8V-MX / 5900XT / Audigy2
PC#4: i5-3570K / MSI Z77A-G43 / GTX 970 / X-Fi

Reply 3153 of 5931, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
badmojo wrote on 2021-07-08, 10:50:

Never played DOOM 2016 but just noticed that it's on sale for 10 bucks, so I'm going back to hell 👍

You won't regret it.

Retronautics: A digital gallery of my retro computers, hardware and projects.

Reply 3154 of 5931, by Namrok

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Doom 2016's heart was in the right place. Maybe it blew me away because my expectations were so low. I thought it's E3 trailer looked horrible, goofy and forced. It's review embargo did not bode well for their confidence in it. And the multiplayer beta did not interest me in the slightest.

Then I played the single player campaign, and it was like revisiting my childhood home. And my pets were still alive. And my dad. And there was a grilled cheese just like my mom used to make sitting on the table. It felt impossibly like if Doom from 1993 had been made today. Not everything translated. But it felt like it had the right soul.

Then again, I haven't been able to muster the fucks to give to slog through it's campaign again. With it's hour long levels, grinding and hunting for upgrades, etc. And I was never able to force myself through Doom Eternal's campaign, with it's jumping puzzles and anemic ammo economy. Trying again lately though, since the RTX patch has me actually rather impressed.

I'm still progressing through Populous. On world 58 after 16 battles or so, and I still find I either struggle, or stomp the AI. It's like once I lose the momentum, it's really hard to get it back. Luckily, if the AI has the flood power, they almost always eventually commit near suicide with it. The last few levels have had AI's that spam Knight, and then eventually Flood all their low lying, highly optimized castles. Go figure. I think I can Swamp a knight if I'm quick? I haven't been quick thus far. Still enjoying it though. We'll see how far I get before I burn out.

Reply 3155 of 5931, by Caluser2000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Hunt the Wumpus....😉

Reply 3156 of 5931, by Joakim

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Dark Messiah - Might And Magic

Tried it on my Pentium m build but it did not run correctly on the GeForce 4. Req direct X 9 card it seems. Instead run it in my main i5 with geforce 1070. Looks amazing on my ultra wide benq xr3501. This game is so much fun!

IMG_20210710_144216.jpg
Filename
IMG_20210710_144216.jpg
File size
887.59 KiB
Views
File license

Reply 3157 of 5931, by NovaCN

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Finishing up Tokyo Mirage Sessions #FE on my Switch. Started playing it on a lengthy flight recently and I've been gradually picking away at it the past few weeks since. It's all right: I'm really enjoying the combat system and character customization, but the story is monumentally dumb. This thing is almost too anime even for me. If you really like turn-based RPGs on the strength of unique combat mechanics and don't mind a plot and characters that are just "there" at best, I'd say check it out, but most folks probably won't get much from it.

I've also just started replaying the Monkey Island series for the first time in about a decade, a bit more than halfway through Secret now. Just as funny as I remember it being, though I dislike the remake's visual style a lot more now than I did when I first played it in '09. I'd love to switch to the gorgeous original pixel art, but then I'd lose the fantastic voice acting and I just can't imagine playing a Monkey Island game without Dominic Armato.

Reply 3158 of 5931, by Joakim

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
NovaCN wrote on 2021-07-10, 23:12:

I've also just started replaying the Monkey Island series for the first time in about a decade, a bit more than halfway through Secret now. Just as funny as I remember it being, though I dislike the remake's visual style a lot more now than I did when I first played it in '09. I'd love to switch to the gorgeous original pixel art, but then I'd lose the fantastic voice acting and I just can't imagine playing a Monkey Island game without Dominic Armato.

I played through the first (remake) game recently. I did't like the new art style. Voice acting is nice though from what I remember. I will see if I can find my original CD (was it talkie?) version at my parents today but I really doubt it. I want a mt-32 or something before I play the second game cause that is my favorite of the two original games. Number 3 is also amazing, probably more enjoyable.