What game are you playing now?

Topic actions

Reply 461 of 5927, by Godlike

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Mortyr 2093 - 1944

5xv2YSm.png
ASUS P2B-F, PII 450Mhz, 128MB-SDR, 3Dfx Diamond Monster 3D II SLI, Matrox Millennium II AGP, Diamond Monster Sound MX300

Reply 462 of 5927, by xjas

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Bought Antichamber just before the Steam sale ended. About 2/3 of the way through now. Proper mind trip. 😀

antichamber-screenshot.jpg
Filename
antichamber-screenshot.jpg
File size
74.06 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

twitch.tv/oldskooljay - playing the obscure, forgotten & weird - most Tuesdays & Thursdays @ 6:30 PM PDT. Bonus streams elsewhen!

Reply 463 of 5927, by bjt

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Played a little Monkey EGA. Don't think I will finish this one as VGA + MT-32 is still the best way to experience it, and it's a little sluggish on the TL/2. Looks amazing though!

xjpn4bJl.jpg
XIIZuFsl.jpg
aRw1akXl.jpg

Reply 465 of 5927, by MMaximus

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
bjt wrote:
In 2016 I'm making an effort to actually finish some games! […]
Show full quote

In 2016 I'm making an effort to actually finish some games!

Over Christmas I tackled Maniac Mansion...

b0Vw6kjl.jpg

Thanks for posting these pics! I got Maniac Mansion as a Christmas gift in '89 and I remember it as being one of the best christmases as a kid. I loved this game and these pics are similar to how I remember it looking on my XT with EGA graphics. Later when my parents upgraded the machine to a 386 with VGA, none of my old games looked quite the same anymore and I never knew exactly why. It's only recently on vogons that I learned about EGA and CGA scanlines - It makes sense that when the game developers designed the games at the time, they designed the graphics with the scanlines in mind - I never felt they looked quite right on VGA displays.

Same thing applies to Monkey Island 1 EGA a couple of posts up... one of the first games I played with a Soundblaster around 1990... to me these are the best ever Lucasfilm games along with Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade and are the paramount of EGA graphics.

Hard Disk Sounds

Reply 466 of 5927, by clueless1

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Just replaced my floppy version of X-Wing with the GOG Collectors' Edition CD-ROM on my retro DOS PC, so I'm trying to go through the Tours again. Currently on Tour 1, Mission 3.

Also started System Shock I and Wing Commander I. Been playing Duke Nukem 3D for a few weeks now (just completed the 3rd level). Funny, these are the games I played regularly in the early-to-mid 1990's and now that I have a pure DOS machine again, they are the first games I gravitate to.

The more I learn, the more I realize how much I don't know.
OPL3 FM vs. Roland MT-32 vs. General MIDI DOS Game Comparison
Let's benchmark our systems with cache disabled
DOS PCI Graphics Card Benchmarks

Reply 467 of 5927, by DonutKing

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I've just finished Baldur's Gate:Enhanced Edition and have now imported my save into BG2:EE 😀

BG:EE is great, it pretty much makes the TuTu mod redundant. I will say that the updated cutscenes are not as good as the original (they are just animated stills in the new version rather than the 3d rendered cutscenes in the original - a lot of detail is missed). There is a mod to fix this though.

badmojo wrote:

Maniac Mansion! That is very groovy. I've been meaning to attempt a play through on my C64 but haven't managed it yet.

I'm going through a slump at the movement. I was in a Star Wars mood after The Force Awakens so fired up Dark Forces; 3 levels in I remembered why I've never finished - tedious puzzle level design. Then I booted up Tie Fighter, but wasn't feeling it. Wing Commander III likewise came and went.

Must be a mid-life crisis come early.

Gotta agree about Dark Forces; I finished it when I was younger but I remember some of the levels weren't much fun at all.

I loved X-Wing and TIE Fighter, and spent many hours of my youth on them, (finished all campaigns except Imperial Pursuit), but these days I just can't get into them.
Once you've mastered dogfighting it becomes a bit repetitive.

In X-Wing at least there is a lot of artificial difficulty, where bombers are launched or hyperspaced in not far out of torpedo range from the ship you're defending; often the only way to finish the mission is to know in advance roughly where they will appear, then head there as soon as its safe to do so.

If you are squeamish, don't prod the beach rubble.

Reply 468 of 5927, by RoyBatty

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Brutal Doom with all my retail Doom wads and TC's that work.

Wolfenstein 3D/Spear of Destiny again.

Wolfenstein The Old Blood, still finishing up the challenge maps.

Quake in Dark Places with mods.

Tale of Two Wastelands as always modded up the wazoo.

Reply 469 of 5927, by badmojo

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
DonutKing wrote:

Gotta agree about Dark Forces; I finished it when I was younger but I remember some of the levels weren't much fun at all.

Yes and it’s a shame, because the rest of the game is so polished. It could have been great.

DOOMII however has some pretty big, maze-ish maps, but I spent 30 mins on one level last night and was still a little saddened when I came across the exit – I wanted more. Someone should do a PHD on why DOOM is so awesome.

I read the DOOMII manual recently – probably for the first time ever – and was amazed to find that you can press F11 (12?) and adjust the gammer. It was just one shade too dark for me so I was thrilled with my cleverness at finding this feature! (after playing it for over 20 years)

Life? Don't talk to me about life.

Reply 470 of 5927, by JayCeeBee64

User metadata
Rank Retired
Rank
Retired
badmojo wrote:

I read the DOOMII manual recently – probably for the first time ever – and was amazed to find that you can press F11 (12?) and adjust the gammer. It was just one shade too dark for me so I was thrilled with my cleverness at finding this feature! (after playing it for over 20 years)

Don't feel bad, I didn't know about the gamma adjustment either (it's F11) until 2005 - after I read the manual as well 😅

And yes, both Doom and Doom 2 always leave me wanting for more. Time to load some custom maps I haven't played in years 😁 😎

Ooohh, the pain......

Reply 471 of 5927, by bjt

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Imagine the year is 1994 and CD-ROM and FMV is the hot new thing. Microcosm was developed for the FM Towns and ported to various different systems including DOS and the Amiga CD32. Magazines hyped it to the moon, but unfortunately the reality is a little different. This is a bad game, but I had some fun marvelling in the FMV madness. It's a rail shooter where you fly through various sphincters and try not to get shot too much.

Other interesting things about this game are that it has some music by Rick Wakeman, a prog rock guy. It supports Ultrasound natively for playback of the Amiga MOD soundtrack, and it's the only way to hear this music on PC, but this crashed all the time for me so I played it with the Roland music instead. There's a patch with a README containing apologies for the state of the game, but patched version won't even start for me. Also it was made in Liverpool 😎

The box is nice though.
WBlNbw4l.jpg

Witness the power of Silicon Graphics
ehIicwSl.jpg

Typical Blade Runner ripoff
lsp8XZ1l.jpg

The devs also acted in the FMV, badly
gUldVm7l.jpg

Nice sphincter
gOlcThpl.jpg

More Softimage renders
QY8qqJOl.jpg

At one point you have to save someone's heart from blowing up
AndUWUMl.jpg

Get shot too much, explode
zZSUiQKl.jpg
i0u5X4wl.jpg

Reply 473 of 5927, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
bjt wrote:

Imagine the year is 1994 and CD-ROM and FMV is the hot new thing.

"wow cool tech!!! nothing can fill these CDs"

"I have a cunning idea, let's make a colonoscopy video game!!!"

"RIGHTO!!!!!!"

apsosig.png
long live PCem

Reply 475 of 5927, by RoyBatty

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Finished Wolfenstein 3D for the first time ever, finished Super 3D Noah's Ark too, damn that's a hard game.

Just installed the STALKER games and some mods for them, going to give them a go.

I also reinstalled Soldier of Fortune, CHASM:The Rift and Eradicator. Time to play and finish these games too.

Reply 476 of 5927, by badmojo

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I started a play-through of F.E.A.R last night on my P4, 8800GTX, Audigy2 ZS machine, which pumps out a smooth 70FPS @ 1024x768 @ maximum detail, and it still looks amazing on a 17” CRT. The lighting in particular brings the world to life and is never over done (I’m looking at you DOOM3).

I turned the lights down low in an attempt to recapture the tense, creepy experience from the days of yore, but despite it being years since I played it last, the scripted scares and level layouts are all too familiar. But the horror aspects of the game weren’t ever the selling point for me anyway, and neither was bullet time, or the storyline, or the occasional puzzle that the devs tossed in – all these things are fine and are well executed, but it’s the beautifully honed shooter mechanic and clever enemy A.I that keeps me coming back for more.

I quite enjoyed DOOM3 for what it was, but in my mind it wasn’t a DOOM. F.E.A.R got the formula right, and like the original DOOMs, it compels me to keep playing because I know that there will be more faceless bad dudes around the next corner, and shooting them will be F.U.N.

Life? Don't talk to me about life.

Reply 477 of 5927, by clueless1

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I'm currently stuck on mission 15 on Wing Commander 1. I've played it about 10 times now without success. It's getting a bit aggravating, as the mission is pretty long and I typically die close to the end of it. And yes, I've watched YouTube videos of the mission and read strategy guides. I guess my hand-eye coordination is not what it used to be. It's the Rostov 1 mission with all the asteroids at multiple NAV points. There's even a battle in an asteroid field.

The more I learn, the more I realize how much I don't know.
OPL3 FM vs. Roland MT-32 vs. General MIDI DOS Game Comparison
Let's benchmark our systems with cache disabled
DOS PCI Graphics Card Benchmarks

Reply 478 of 5927, by Kodai

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

On the vintage PC side of things, I'm currently going through a number of my favorite Lucas Arts games - Full Throttle, DoTT, Loom, and my personal favorite, Fate of Atlantis. For modern PC games, I'm currently playing Warframe, Firefall, and Marvel Heroes while I wait for Black Desert to release.

Reply 479 of 5927, by Godlike

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Max Payne - playing now from my big box collection, great game from Remedy Entertainment (the game won BAFTA award for eg.) interesting is that early version of Remedy Entertainment's MAX-FX engine been used with one of the first 3D benchmark 3DMark99.
Once again Godlike plunged in the game hunting outside the law. Dual berettas wielded. Killing damn mobsters

5xv2YSm.png
ASUS P2B-F, PII 450Mhz, 128MB-SDR, 3Dfx Diamond Monster 3D II SLI, Matrox Millennium II AGP, Diamond Monster Sound MX300