VOGONS

Common searches

Just an important heads up

Topic actions

• This topic is locked. You cannot reply or edit posts.

Reply 200 of 325, by HunterZ

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Jorpho wrote:

Has someone noted already that the reply-notification E-mails require you to login when you use them? They did not do that before.

If you use the second "view the topic" link instead of the first "view newest posts since last visit" link, you won't have to log in. The problem with not logging in, though, is that it won't know that *you* have then read the new posts.

I prefer getting pestered to log in. VOGONS is pretty good about letting you stay logged in for a long time via cookies.

Reply 201 of 325, by VileR

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

In the old forum, attached images were always displayed if they were up to 640x480 (maybe even a bit larger, don't remember).

After the upgrade, image attachments are placed inside an element with max-height: 350px, and have to be clicked to be seen in full.
Example: CGA Composite Mode under DOSBOX (Commited r3804)

Possible to increase the max-height of .attach-image to 480px or more?

[ WEB ] - [ BLOG ] - [ TUBE ] - [ CODE ]

Reply 202 of 325, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
HunterZ wrote:

Microsoft has been begging people to stop using IE6 because it's so full of security holes, bugs and other nastiness that they don't want to waste any more time on fixing.

But to stop using IE6 would mean to start using XP, not exactly an option for some users here. I don't get why there needs to be discrimination among retro PCs browsing on a safe forum, no need to point fingers at them for a style bug that could be fixed.

apsosig.png
long live PCem

Reply 203 of 325, by Qbix

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

I might have declared the types of links in the wrong order. Seems there an official order, for link,visited,hover and active. Not sure what the problem could be otherwise.

Water flows down the stream
How to ask questions the smart way!

Reply 204 of 325, by gulikoza

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I've been away since the upgrade and it looks good...especially the read/unread handling of phpbb3 which makes it much easier to go through this backlog of posts 😜
One thing that bothers me a bit is that topic headers have some slight glow around them and it looks as a badly compressed jpeg or a dirty CRT to me. Is this intentional? I've checked with an enlarged screenshot and the background is slightly different around the text (using Opera 12)

http://www.si-gamer.net/gulikoza

Reply 205 of 325, by Qbix

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

yep, they have a text shadow, as do some more parts of the forum.
At least when looking at the posts.
In the forum listing they have no shadows.

Water flows down the stream
How to ask questions the smart way!

Reply 208 of 325, by sliderider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
leileilol wrote:
HunterZ wrote:

Microsoft has been begging people to stop using IE6 because it's so full of security holes, bugs and other nastiness that they don't want to waste any more time on fixing.

But to stop using IE6 would mean to start using XP, not exactly an option for some users here. I don't get why there needs to be discrimination among retro PCs browsing on a safe forum, no need to point fingers at them for a style bug that could be fixed.

Or they can use KernelEx to run a later browser under Win9x.

Reply 209 of 325, by HunterZ

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
sliderider wrote:
leileilol wrote:
HunterZ wrote:

Or they can use KernelEx to run a later browser under Win9x.

That's what I was referring to when I mentioned compatibility layers. I just couldn't remember the name of it.

Reply 210 of 325, by Malik

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Malik wrote:
Another suggestion : How about displaying the post number (near the editing buttons on the top right) in each post - to keep tra […]
Show full quote

Another suggestion : How about displaying the post number (near the editing buttons on the top right) in each post - to keep track of the number of posts in a thread, and for easy referral - for e.g.: "Refer to/See post number nn...." within the thread.

EDIT : Number begins with 1 with the first post of a thread.

EDIT 2 : For those topics that contain a solution, the solved post can be easily referred to. E.g. - "Solution/Solved at Post #nn", either by the OP in the first post or by others later on.

EDIT 3 : And to pick-out trolls or spams - E.g. - " Troll / Spam @ Post #nn"

Here's what I meant actually:

9329898423_3779e18d4a_o.png

As you can see, my post's number is 6. Let's say, I have found the answer and posted another one, and say the number of that post is 12, I or anyone can simply refer to that number instead of copying and pasting the link or referring to it. For e.g. - "See post #12".

5476332566_7480a12517_t.jpgSB Dos Drivers

Reply 211 of 325, by HunterZ

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Malik: The circled icons in the attached image are functionally identical to the circled number links in your image.

Referring to numbers instead of links is a bad idea, because the numbers can change if posts get deleted or topics get split.

Attachments

• Untitled.png
    Filename
    Untitled.png
    File size
    81.97 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 213 of 325, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

Generally I like the new buttons. Just the "Post a reply" button was too geeky (re:<-) and the font for the e is a bit weird (generally in the new buttons). Sorry, should have probably spoken up sooner but I didn't notice it before it was done.

Windows 3.1x guide for DOSBox
60 seconds guide to DOSBox
DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper

Reply 214 of 325, by VileR

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Hmm, the PM button in viewtopic looks a bit funny in my FF22 (wrong size? there should be a fixed one in the second batch of buttons I sent).

I don't actually have the exact same font that was used in the original VOGONS design... if anyone could name the font I'd happily redo the buttons.
Nice work on the other changes and the CSS buttons as well. :)

[ WEB ] - [ BLOG ] - [ TUBE ] - [ CODE ]

Reply 217 of 325, by collector

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Qbix wrote:

think I fixed that. Somehow a different directory was used somehow. I am still not sure how those imagesets work...

Be sure to refresh

Some of them are specified in the cfg files and some are set in the CSS. It should have been OK if the style's folders had been copied over as it was on the test board.

As to the reply button, how about just simply the word "reply"? The font is obviously chosen based on its similarity to the VOGONS label. Perhaps not an exact match, but not too far off.

The Sierra Help Pages -- New Sierra Game Installers -- Sierra Game Patches -- New Non-Sierra Game Installers