VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by WolverineDK

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Message to the moderators, if this is in the wrong part of the forum. Then move it some where else.

But anyway let me explain what this thread is about then. Since I have had a long thought, and nice little chat and private message. Then let me say some words then.

What do I mean by cheating ? well I mean both as in cheat codes, and in hex editing but not just that. Since rfnagel, began talking about the exploring of old games. And hex editing , then it dawned upon me. Cheat codes, and hex editing has been one of the best ways of exploring a game to the limit, and beyond. And here we are not only talking about on pc, but also on consoles and other computers too. "cheating" and editing (through many cheat devices). Has shown everything from a greeting of either from cracker groups. Or to the cracker groups from the developers of the games. And some pretty nasty messages too, from the developers from anything from horny developers to just pure and simple love letters. I have mostly used cheat codes, and hex editing for plain and simple cheating. But there has been numerous occasions when I played around with cheat codes in Apogee games, some serious cool stuff. Such as how to basically make a map (if any one wanted such a thing) in the Keen 4 to 6 with the F10 Y, which made everything messed up, except for the secret places on the stage maps. So I will let other people chip in here. With their findings and what not.

Reply 1 of 9, by Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Hey, I like hex editing, especially on RPGs. I remember hex editing charfcter inventory file in Curse of the Azure Bonds, experimenting with various magical effects I mafe by editing certain hexes on a particular item. I accidently created a sword that inflicts extra fire damage. Too bad I lost the floppies.

Never thought this thread would be that long, but now, for something different.....
Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman.

Reply 3 of 9, by Hatta

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Better than hex editing save files was directly editing memory. I spent a lot of time with GameWiz32 modifying memory locations. You'd freeze the game, enter the value you're trying to modify, then go back to the game and change it. Freeze the game once more and enter the new value. Most of the time this gave you only a few memory locations that could hold the value. Then you just enter whatever you want (255 strength? 65335 gold? hell yeah).

Reply 4 of 9, by bestemor

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

While on this subject, does anyone have any of the files from this page ? I discovered this hardware/software very late, and have not been able to locate any files/updates etc...

http://web.archive.org/web/19990218081023/www … el.co.uk/pc.htm

Background info:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Action_Replay

Reply 5 of 9, by sliderider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I used to HATE hex editing. I didn't do it to cheat at games, though, I used to do it to recover data from bad floppies. I would copy over all the sectors that were easily recoverable to a backup floppy then have to go in and try to get the drive to read the bad sectors and write down by hand the contents of the bad sectors then filled in those sectors on the backup floppy manually. It was a painstaking process but I managed to recover about a hundred bad disks that way. If there were sectors that weren't recoverable at all, then I would borrow someone else's disk and copy the missing sectors from theirs.

Reply 6 of 9, by elianda

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
bestemor wrote:

While on this subject, does anyone have any of the files from this page ? I discovered this hardware/software very late, and have not been able to locate any files/updates etc...

http://web.archive.org/web/19990218081023/www … el.co.uk/pc.htm

ftp://78.46.141.148/driver/ActionReplay/

Retronn.de - Vintage Hardware Gallery, Drivers, Guides, Videos. Now with file search
Youtube Channel
FTP Server - Driver Archive and more
DVI2PCIe alignment and 2D image quality measurement tool

Reply 7 of 9, by WolverineDK

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Joey_sw wrote:

hex editing enjoyable until game start using proprietary compression,
or using custom hash to verify data integrity.

Well, I must add this then. In rom hacking and so forth terms. Then there are people who has looked into the proprietary compression algorithms , and some times you can probably also find the custom hash to verify the data integrity. So perhaps there could be a solution for such trouble, when it comes to old DOS games. Cause just look at the modding wiki

http://www.shikadi.net/moddingwiki/Main_Page

or Wombat Tools for that matter

http://yellowantphil.com/wacky_wheels/downloa … /wombat_04a.zip

And or for this matter Universal Game Editor (search for it via a search engine , such as duckduckgo and so forth)

I am going to link to a few UGE modules also.

http://blog.aulddragon.com/2012/07/uge-module … gold-box-games/

But finding UGE modules are still pretty easy 😀 but you better look for them 😀

Attachments

• Filename
    uge.zip
    File size
    131.02 KiB
    Downloads
    60 downloads
    File comment
    Universal Game Editor
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception
  • Filename
    wombat_04a.zip
    File size
    958.55 KiB
    Downloads
    45 downloads
    File comment
    A mirror of Wombat Tools
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 8 of 9, by bestemor

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
elianda wrote:

Thanks! - but I think this is the german version of the ISA-card software (file dates from 1995).

I was more looking for the win98 updates and lists, as described on that specific 'datel' page.

BTW, what ftp is that ? - seems like a lot of interesting stuff on there... 😁

Reply 9 of 9, by bestemor

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Just to clear things up for later readers: the webarchive link I gave above, NOW shows something entirely different than it did earlier(at my time of posting)... no idea why.
My comments later in this thread then of course makes no sense... :\

Here is a screendump from the 'correct' page, which I also downloaded(nowhere to be found now?):

(sadly none of the files linked are retrievable it seems, hence my request here...)
66wvmu.jpg